“A DIY Hotel- a must if you enjoy cleaning!!!”
Review of Star Hotel

Star Hotel
Ranked #23 of 25 Hotels in Southampton
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Has to be the worst hotel I have ever had to endure. Would have been better off sleeping in my car. After a long time searching for my room with very unhelpful instructions I found that the room had not been serviced. The bedding had not been changed and smelt of sweat and the bathroom was covered with all manner of hair and soap scum. Went down to reception and met some very unhelpful staff who gave me some clean bedding and cleaning products with which they expected me to clean the room. YES NOT ONLY WAS I A PAYING GUEST, I WAS EXPECTED TO BE HOUSE KEEPING TOO! Not one of the hotel staff made a move to offer to clean the room themselves. So, after I had cleaned the room and changed the bedding I tried to get some rest. Impossible as the smell of dam and mildew was ingrained into the soft furnishings including the duvet and pillow making the entire sleeping experience a horrendous ordeal.

After a night of very little sleep I went downstairs to hear the staff at reception speaking very loudly about me in a very rude and unpleasant manner, did not help my already sour mood. Breakfast looked like something that would be served at a service station at 11pm after its been sat out all day. Crockery did not look all that clean and after my experience of the rooms the night before, I shudder to think what the kitchen looks like. Staff in the breakfast room were rude and unfriendly as well. There was a very weird and unpleasat smell wafting about the entire hotel.

Waited a long time to see the manger who was apologetic but in all honesty really did little to make up for her disgusting hotel. Had a refund for one room, but considering the matress wasn't fit for a dog in the other we really should have pushed for a total refund.

DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!

Room Tip: Do not book any room here, the whole building smells.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank x-HopeThisHelps-x
There are newer reviews for Star Hotel

Reviewed January 23, 2013

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed January 14, 2013

This was by far the worst hotel I have ever experienced in my life! The hotel from the outset looked friendly and cosy. But the moment I walked up the stairs, the floorboards were completely slanted, the furniture in the lounge area looked second hand/from a charity store. The room itself stank of cigarettes (even though we requested a non-smoking room). The radiator was leaking and the bathroom was filled with limescale. to make matters worst, there were screaming drunk teens outside which we could hear clearly through the single glazed window and tattered curtains! the "white" armchair was filthy with grey dust! there was mildew and mould by the shower floor!
We checked out immediately! Was not offered a refund as we booked in advance. they opffered another room but this faced the drunk teens in the car park! absolutely disgusting and would heavily advise no bookings here for any form of trip!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 28, 2012

This historic old coaching hotel is in the perfect location on the high street. The rooms are spacious and well appointed and characterful. The is WiFi in most places. The lift is a challenge with a suitcase as it only takes one person with baggage, with the old type of cage doors. Staff are friendly and helpful. They even did my drying for me after I got soaked in the rain and had nothing left to wear. The history is amazing, even Queen Vistoria stayed there. Probably could benefit from a multi-million £ upgrade to bring it up to modern expectations, but would spoil the overall character.

Room Tip: I had the bridal suit on the 4th floor, with lovely large bathroom, so no complaints there.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

My booking was very last minute via Booking.com and was for 27th December, so I was amazed to find a room and so close to Red Funnel ferry port and Southampton town centre. Considering these two points, the price was very good value and for the "star rating" it was an excellent hotel. I can only assume the previous negative reviews were as a result of over expectations and not the fault of the hotel. If you want 5 star service, people, pay the price associated!!
This is an excellent hotel providing good food, friendly staff and comfortable rooms (ours was en-suite) and reasonably quiet even allowing for the flight path into Southampton airport.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed November 17, 2012

Good hotel for price as its in the centre of Southampton could do with a lick of paint but staff make up for that polite friendly and some beautiful serve a decent pint as well. Can get full so would say book in-advance.

Room Tip: book in advance.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 12, 2012

I stayed at this hostel around 10 days. It's really central, on the High Street, you can find shopping centres, local stores like Tesco, banks etc, just takes a few minutes by walking.

Another positive feature is that Star Hotel is one of the cheapest hotels in the town. It's still expensive when you compare it with the hotels in other countries, but it's England, you know :)

I want to underline that standarts are very different even in the same rated rooms. We stayed in this hotel two different times in a month and our experience was'nt that good for the first time, but it was very nice for our second trip. It's about luck :)

Finally, Southampton is a very nice town, enjoy your time here :)

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple