“Would stay again”

Novotel Southampton
Ranked #10 of 25 Hotels in Southampton
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 14, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Novotel for two nights in an Executive Room which was on the 2nd floor and overlooked the car park. We came to Southampton to see the Lion King and the hotel is ideally located for getting into the town centre. West Quay shopping centre is nearby as well.

Every staff member that we met was polite, professional and helpful.

There were four designated spaces for Blue Badge Holders. We managed to get one on the first night but not on the second night. However the car park is very big, albeit shared between the three hotels that are on site (Ibis, Ibis Budget & Novotel) and we managed to park not too far from the entrance. One minus is that the parking is £6 per day. For this class of hotel, it should be free.

The room was spacious and the bed was very comfortable. Linens and towels were of a good quality. Gowns and slippers were provided. The room had a safe, nespresso coffee machine, tea and coffee making facilities, fridge with free bottled water and all the other little bits one would expect from a 4* hotel. Wi Fi was also free with a good signal and download speed. However the rooms are air cooled and not air conditioned which can make them a bit stuffy. The windows do open though. The toilet is separate from the bathroom and is a bit on the small side if you are over 6' tall. The shower over the bath was adequate however it was quite a big step up and over the side of the bath for anyone with back or hip problems. I managed with the help of my wife.

The breakfast selection was fantastic with all the usual hot and cold options. The coffee was great and the pancake machine was outstanding.

The hotel has a really good atmosphere with a wonderful mix of all nationalities working and staying there.

The only minor points were a noisy wedding party which went on for a while (we missed the guests vomiting in the foyer unlike a previous reviewer) and some very inconsiderate people who decided to play noisy games in the corridor outside our room at 11pm at night. The father was making more noise than his kids.

The parking charges and noise are the only reasons that my review is not the full 5*.

Room Tip: Try to find a good price online for the Executive Rooms. They are worth it.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DWT123
Glenn_Findlay, General Manager at Novotel Southampton, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts here on Tripadvisor. We are happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and I would like to apologies for the actions of our other guests who disturbed your rest. I would like to assure you that our car parking charges are comparable to similar city centre Hotels and I have noted your comments. We do hope to see you again soon and we hope you enjoyed the Lion King Production.

There are newer reviews for Novotel Southampton

Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here only one night on the way back home from Bournemouth. Booked the room very late and arrived after 40min.

The check in was good, Receptionist very friendly and professional! Offered help with our luggage and showed us to the pool area.

Rooms are big (we were party of three families) and clean.

Nice hotel to stay.

Many thanks
Lukasz

Stayed: July 2014

Many thanks for your kind words, I have shared these with the team and we are happy that you and your family enjoyed staying with us.
Kind regards

Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

I checked in at midnight to be greeted at the foyer by wedding guests vomiting just outside reception! The gym was filthy. The machines hadn't been wiped down in months, they were covered in dust and the screens weren't working. The room was the executive room. There was nothing executive about it! I waited 15 minutes to check out (one person behind the desk). All in all I would only recommend staying if there are no other options around. The friendliness of the staff (very good) is at odds with the quality of the product their employer is offering.

Stayed: July 2014

Many thanks for posting your thoughts here. I am sorry you found the Gym in a mess I have asked our housekeeping team to ensure this is kept up to our normally high standards. We do hold several functions and I am sorry that you had to witness another guest of ours being unwell. We do hope we will see you again.

Reviewed July 10, 2014

Great hotel to stay in , staff were lovely and very helpful especially the handy man who fixed our sink in our room before we even knew it was broke , gave us some really good tips etc for our trip.breakfast was really good huge selection to choose from so was something for everyone .my tip would be when booking look for a deal which includes breakfast that's what we did as it s 13.95 a head which is a bit expensive .Pool was lovely really warm and just us in it so we had plenty of space

Review collected in partnership with Novotel Hotels
1  Thank Michelle E

Many thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts here. I will be sharing your kind words with Adie our maintenance team member and we really hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed July 10, 2014

The rooms are basic but clean and comfortable. The service is very sharp. The high point, without a doubt, is the breakfast buffet. The food is high quality and the choices go on and on. For those that like cereal there are about 8 options. For those who like eggs there are two options. They have the beans and tomatoes that the Brits prefer as well as sausages and bacon. They have fresh fruit They have sweet rolls. They fruit juice and very good coffee. Choosing the breakfast is an add-on but it is well worth the price.

The location is very convenient to the cruise ship terminal and you are within easy walking distance of the downtown shops and museums.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank albwilson
Reviewed July 9, 2014

Although the bathroom and (separate) loo were pretty basic, they were clean and had everything we needed. The bedroom was fine and the bed was very comfortable. What was particularly good for a UK hotel was the breakfast - we had guests join us for this and all agreed they were impressed! If you need to be in the centre of Southampton anytime, this was a great location, stone's throw from the train station.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank Stephanie P
Reviewed July 9, 2014

Here in Southampton to take my 3 year old daughter to Peppa Pig world for her birthday. My wife, who has become something of a hotel snob, booked this place as her 5* preference was full. For me it seemed fine, I've stayed in hundreds of business type hotels but from the outset she was not impressed. Room was not bad, not huge for an Executive Room but good fixtures. However the real problem was the air con - or lack of. So many places like this the same, hot night in July and no cooling. Sleeping comfortably with a covering was impossible, the room was far too hot and unpleasant.
On to the food. Went down for dinner on the first evening as the menu offerings did not look too bad. The restaurant appears to be manned (again as are many) by predominantly East European staff, no problem with that but some of them do give off the rather straight and stern demeanour which would lend itself better to a part in 'The Hostel' or similar. We had such a waitress. I asked for the burger, always an easy choice and hard to mess up. As she scribbled I asked for it to be well done. "We can't do that", came the response, "they are all medium". "Oh" i said, "how about just leaving it on the grill an extra minute". "I don't think that's possible". So I decided not to pursue this line and said "OK I'll have the fish and chips instead". Boy what a mistake that was, this was quite possibly the worst fish and chips I have ever had worldwide. The fish looked more like a leg of lamb, the batter tasted like soggy cardboard, the chips were undercooked and it came with mushy peas which were compacted and hard. Suffice it to say I later spent an unpleasant 15 minutes in the separate toilet cubicle of the room. To be fair my wife had Thai curry, which was really not bad. But my advice would be to steer clear of the fish.
The breakfasts were quite OK, although nothing to write home about. Average quality, average taste.
I think it's average for a hotel of it's type but I dont think it's especially cheap for Southampton. Would I stay here again? No.

Room Tip: Pick another hotel with air conditioning