“Recommended.” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Portsmouth
“Recommended.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

Stayed with my wife for a night out, and very much enjoyed our stay. Very convenient access from the motorway, and for the shopping centre. Full marks for the restaurant staff and food quality. Worth getting the upgrade. Recommended Hotel

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Glenn_Findlay, General Manager at Novotel Southampton, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
It is great to read your review and the team will be thrilled with your great comments – we look forward to welcoming you again soon to Novotel Southampton.
Glenn Findlay

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Glasgow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

My husband and I used this hotel prior to our Transatlantic trip on the QM2.

On arrival we were earlier than the official booking in time but our room was ready for us and the receptionist was extremely friendly and when we enquired as to the return rental cars office nearby drew us a map to the rental office and advised us of the quickest route back to the hotel once we had deposited out hire car.

We room was a good size with a very comfortable settee and on a high floor from where we could see our ship.

We used the restaurant that night which was very good value and the staff were very friendly, service was excellent.

We did not have breakfast as we do not usually have breakfast.

In the morning we asked the reception to book a taxi for us and on arriving at reception prior to our booked time we found a very busy reception with many people waiting for taxis. I was rather apprehensive about our taxi arrived at the allocated time but I should not have been concerned as all went like clockwork.

If and when I am in Southampton again I would not hesitate to use this hotel again as is was superb value for money.

Room Tip: Be sure to book your taxi through hotel as it seems to work like clockwork.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Many thanks for taking the time to review our hotel. I will be passing on your comments to our team and we do hope to see you again at Novotel Southampton.
Gloucester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2013

I had stayed at Novotel properties before and was looking forward to the experience again at Southampton but unfortunately this visit was disappointing. I chose the hotel partly because of the `mobile WiFi' which it claims to offer in all rooms. This was a mistake. To you and me, dear reader, `mobile WiFi' means that your laptop, tablet and smartphone can connect seamlessly to the internet but that is not the case at this hotel - despite what it says on its website. The only place where this is true is in the bar and restaurant and I found that to get internet in my room at all, I either had to pay an extra fee ot upgrade to a more expensive room. I have no problem with paying for service but I begrudged the fact that this was not made clear before booking. I paid the money and found that the room had some nice amenities such as a fridge and dressing gown and slippers. The slippers were particularly appreciated as the carpet felt dirty.
The only experience of the restaurant that I had was the (included) breakfast, which was disappointing - the cooked options available were unappetising and cold. When I decided to extend my stay in Southampton for another few days I moved hotels.
To be fair, the hotel says it is aware of the WiFi and carpet issue and plans to upgrade in the next year or so but until they do I cannot recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank RayHC
Glenn_Findlay, General Manager at Novotel Southampton, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Many thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts here on trip advisor. I have checked our website and it clearly states we have ‘Wifi at the hotel (paying)’. Our wireless service is currently chargeable – we will be changing this by July and will have the facilities to offer complimentary wifi, at this stage we do have a complimentary hotspot in our Lobby. I apologise if you felt the carpet in your room was dirty and our cooked Breakfast was cold, I have shared you comments with our both our Restaurant and housekeeping teams to take on board. We continuously update our rooms and I can let you know we are about to start a soft refurbishment to one of our floors. Do please feel free to contact me on glenn.findlay@accor.com and I truly hope to see you again here at Novotel Southampton.
Epping, NH
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

My husband and I stayed with our daughter and her family. Our granddaughters enjoyed the pool. The hotel was convenient for visiting my sisters and brother and would definitely stay again.
The room was comfortable and the bed had good support.

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Glenn_Findlay, General Manager at Novotel Southampton, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Many thanks for taking the opportunity to write about us here on Tripadvisor. We are happy to read your daughter enjoyed our pool and we all look forward to welcoming you back to Novotel Southampton in the future.
Bussum, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

Good fascilities in the room, good bed. The room had enough space to be comfortable.
Nice bar and restaurant for breakfast, lunch and dinner. We had a lunch in the bar. The super food salad was a bit poor. The breakfast was OK.
The most negative things were the noise from the harbours and the ventilation system in the room. And it was way to hot in the room, but there was no airco. So we had a bad night.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank 232Janneke
Thank you for your review, I am sorry you did not enjoy you salad and will be feeding this back to our chef. We have an air cooling system in Novotel Southampton and I apologise if you did find this to warm during your stay. I was glad to read overall you did enjoy your stay and we do hope to see you again in the future.
Guernsey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

Great hotel,all the staff were very helpful and friendly, it was in a very good location close to lots of shops and also to West Quay which was very convenient when carrying lots of shopping.,great food ,family room good. Will certainly go again and suggest it to friends.

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

It was fantastic to read your review and I have shared your kind words with our team here. I am glad you enjoyed the shopping here in Southampton and look forward to having you stay with us again.
Newcastle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

Excellent hotel- Always try to book this hotel when travelling on cruises from Southampton. We prefer this hotel to the De vere 5* Hotel - Better service and overall stay.Staff are very friendly. Breakfast nice -lots of choice. Short walking distance to shops

1 Thank Gilly1965
Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts here on tripadvisor. I think we have such a great team here and it is wonderful to read your comments confirming this, I have shared these with our team and we are all looking forward to having you stay with us again.