“Pleasant stay at Novotel”

Novotel Southampton
Ranked #10 of 25 Hotels in Southampton
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Although it is a fairly industrial location, the hotel was immaculate and the facilities were good. Novotel is very child friendly and the food was excellent and prices reasonable. The only down side is that if you want to pay by debit card they will swipe your card and keep £200 for up to ten days.

Room Tip: It's worth paying a bit more for an executive room.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank mysteron44
Glenn_Findlay, General Manager at Novotel Southampton, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2012

Thank you for your review, I am glad you did enjoy your stay with us at Novotel Southampton and we look forward to you staying again. As with most Hotels we do take an authorization amount from guests Cards, to confirm we do not take any money from your Card, however your Bank does put a freeze on this amount, Once you check out the authorization is released however dependent on your Bank this may take up to ten days. I do hope this clarifies this process and we look forward to seeing you again.

There are newer reviews for Novotel Southampton

A TripAdvisor Member
St germain en Laye
Reviewed November 1, 2012

We regularly stay at Novotel, as we travel often with our daughter. Thinking back to our stay, the Southampton Novotel was above the Novotel average (which is already generally very good) in most categories: we had absolutely no trouble finding it, pleasant design, comfortable rooms (our daughter's bed was already done up for us when we arrived), friendly bar-tenders . . . During our stay, the staff was pleasant and helpful at all times. We had forgetten our UK plug adaptor, and the desk immediately lent us one for the duration of our stay. We would recommend without reserve staying at this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Thank you for your very kind words it is always a pleasure to read a regular guests comments here on tripadvisor. They are very much appreciated and my team will be delighted to hear that you have been enjoying our hospitality here at Novotel Southampton. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed October 31, 2012

Situated within easy walking distance of the West Quay shopping centre, various leisure facilities and restautants, this hotel sits in the same area as other Accor hotels like IBIS and IBIS Budget.
The room was comfortable although the beds were less so. The sofa bed was sporting a thin mattress and was not very supportive and the springs evident when lying down. The main bed was better but far from the most comfortable bed I've ever slept on.
The lack of free Wifi was also annoying and the £5 per night for parking disappointing. However, the whole of the West Quay area is a massive parking facility and the costs are generally high.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments here. I have noted your comments regarding the Bed and my apologies if you did not find this to your satisfaction. We do have a wireless internet solution provided from Orange. Our Car Park Charges are very competitive amongst the other hotels with in Southampton. Again thank you for your review and I do hope to see you again soon

Reviewed October 26, 2012

My Husband and I stayed at this hotel precruise for the 2nd time. We booked through Accor. They offered a great email deal. We stayed in an executive room. The rooms are adequate size, very efficiently furnished. The executive rooms offer free internet connection and Nesspresso coffee machine which we appreciated a lot. The bed was comfortable enough for us. I like a softer matress and my husband is more flexible as long as it does not feel like concrete. The English breakfast was very good. We had dinner at the restaurant. I had duck, and my husband had lamb. Both dishes were excellant and reasonably priced. The hotel location is very close to shopping, just about a five minute walk to West Quay shopping center. It is a few minute drive to the pier. The Staff was very friendly and willing to please. We will definitely stay here again if visiting Southampton.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mariam R
Glenn_Findlay, General Manager at Novotel Southampton, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2012

Thank you for your very kind words. They are very much appreciated and my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed yourselves at Novotel Southampton. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed October 26, 2012

After booking an executive room, we thought we would be "pampered" as it said on the website. But having arrived, we were told there was no internet modems left for apple iPads? So we decided to purchase our own wi fi Internet. The staff said we would only be able to have Internet in the bar/ reception area, not in our room as we had paid extra for! We told staff that it was no good as we were working and needed it, so as we organised our own internet, could we have breakfast instead? No sorry, breakfast was £13.75 each. We gave it up as a bad job. I would not book this hotel again, although the room was ok, it was quite warm, ac no good n had to ask for a fan. No extra pillows, we had to use cushions off the sofa. The bar area was not too comfortable, n they charged us £2 for a dish of peanuts that you normally get free anywhere else. The bed was very squeaky every time you moved, the inclusive water in the room was limited to one bottle to share. I will never book an executive room again, there is no point if there is not going to be anything that should be included available.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank safish2000

Thanks for leaving your thoughts here and we’ve taken note of your comments. My apologies you did not find our Executive rooms up to your expectations - Our Executive rooms come with Complimentary wired internet, Bose Docking station, Nesspresso coffee machines, Upgraded Toiletries, Bathrobe and slippers and 2 bottles of water. All of our rooms do have additional pillows located in the wardrobe as you enter the room again my sincere apologies that this information was not explained to you and I will speak to the team to ensure we are explaining the benefits to our guests. I would be grateful if you had a moment to contact me on glenn.findlay@accor.com.

Reviewed October 26, 2012

Spent 2 nights here recently in an executive room upgrade. The room was large, clean, modern if a little lacking in style , with broadband and wifi (free with our upgrade). The bed was comfortable and the bathroom clean and well-appointed with a good range of toiletries. Unusually there was a separate toilet. The bath plug did not work and staff responded quickly and when they failed to rectify the problem, we were immediately offered a room change. Breakfast was included in the executive room price and consisted of a good buffet. Location good on the edge of a retail park and walking distance to the town centre and very near to the edge of the Forest. There is a leisure centre but we did not try it out. The most pleasant aspect of our stay was the delightful staff who were all friendly, helpful and genuinely interested! The executive upgrade does seem to be a good idea.

Room Tip: Consider an executive room if you can as it includes breakfast.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sooperstar100

Many thanks for the positive comments, I’m happy we were able to make your stay with us so enjoyable and will be sharing your kind words with our team. I hope we can welcome you back to the Novotel Southampton again very soon.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

The decking out the front of the hotel for guests to sit is DANGEROUS! The chairs which you have fall down the spaces between the slats which happend to me on many occasions, i only gave birth to my son two weeks prior to my visit so it was very painful, and for the elderly guest a very worrying problem as i had spoken to other guest sitting out there. The tv did not work on all the channels, especially the ONE childrens channel they have, which i needed for my 1year old daughter. The sofa bed bedding was a DISGRACE, it was full of holes and not the quality you would expect for even a 2star hotel. You should be ashamed of this hotel, if i had any other options i would not have stayed!! The pool was too over crowded so when i took my 1year old in there she was getting splashed by children throwing things and jumping in, there was no supervision and i did not feel safe for my child to be in there. I went to the bar to get a coffee and had to stand there and shout for 15minutes to allert the staff that was standing there. On the check out i was asked to pay £27 per breakfast per person which i had already paid for and it took 30 minutes for the staff to find my booking and realise i HAD paid!! Paying for car parking is DISGUSTING!! We paid a lot of money for such a bad experience and they still make you pay by the day to park our car! YOU SHOULD BE SHUT DOWN, YOUR HOTEL IS A JOKE!!!!! TRADING STANDARDS SHOULD INVESTIGATE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to review Novotel Southampton and my apologies that you did not find our hotel up to your expectations. Please allow me to look into your comments regarding the decking, TV Channels and our services. I would be grateful if you could contact me on glenn.findlay@accor.com to provide me some more details of your stay. We do have a duty Manager on 24hrs a day who could have assisted you had these issues been bought to our attention. We have now replaced all of our Sofa bed Bedding. Our car park charge for residents is £5.00 per night which is very competitive amongst local Hotels.