“Very pleasant”

Grand Harbour Hotel
Ranked #20 of 25 Hotels in Southampton
Reviewed April 16, 2014

I have stayed at the Grand Harbour several times and I have never had any issues. It is very pleasant but the rooms are starting to look tired though and could do with a makeover. There was evidence that this was actually happening I am pleased to say because I really do like this hotel. Staff are extremely courteous and helpful and nothing is too much trouble. I look forward to staying at this hotel again soon.

4  Thank Russell P
Laura R, General Manager at Grand Harbour Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2014

Dear Russell P, Thank you for taking the time to post a review, especially as a regular guest of the hotel. I am very pleased to read you enjoy your visits, and in particular the team service. I have passed your kind comments to the team who have taken great motivation, as have I from them.

Reviewed April 15, 2014

The hotel is undergoing refurbishment, but it still looks dated!! The swimming pool and gym were very good, though the jacuzzi was not working. My room was big, with a balcony, but shower and some furnishings were in need of a refresh.
Breakfast was average, service (and room service) was very slow. Food overall disappointing.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business

Dear Andree W, Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I am sorry that you do not like the new look of the hotel. The new look has been very welcomed by most of our guests, and I am very sorry to learn that this is not the case for you. Please accept my sincere apologies for your disappointment with the food and beverage offering, I have passed your comments to both the head chef and Restaurant manager to rectify these issues immediately. Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed April 14, 2014

Stayed at this hotel to celebrate our Wedding Anniversary. The room we were given was fine, and looked as if it had been included in the refurbishment programme that's taking place at this hotel currently. The balcony though, was very tired and in need of a jet wash and overall good clean.
The breakfast was adequate also and not too bad at £10 a head.
Parking also was adequate, £10 from 15:00 on the day you check in until 15:00 the next day, giving us time to go for lunch elsewhere after we'd checked out.
The swimming pool area left an awful lot to be desired. There were no pool side showers, and I'd just walked down a long flight of stairs in my bare feet to get to the pool, only to find I had to return up the same flight, shower and then go back down again. The water in the pool was far too warm, more like a bath. The childrens' paddling pool was cordoned off with drains sticking up. The smell of drains at the top of the stairs was vile, and the changing area, with rotting door frames, a tiny single cubicle for anyone who doesn't like stripping in front of strangers and just a general feeling of being very old and out of date, wasn't very nice.
I guess many people aren't even interested in the leisure facilities, but if you are, then I doubt you'll be impressed. Would only stay here again, if a really cheap deal came up, and wouldn't bother to take my swimsuit!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank skipper123

Dear Skipper123, Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. I am pleased to read you found many of the aspects of your stay satisfactory, except for the club which is still undergoing works. I am sorry for the effect this has had on your overall visit. I am very pleased to read however that you would stay again, which is great to hear, thank you.

Reviewed April 13, 2014

Stayed here 12/13 April for an all girls spa weekend,
Staff polite and accommodating, had to ring housekeeping several times during our stay of which we had a very fast response to our requests..rooms comfortable but no complimentary water or fridge..they only possess 18 bath robes for the whole hotel so it's hit and miss if you actually get one...breakfast was nice with plenty to choose from...our main evening meal was very disappointing, we had several dishes to choose from and everybody was pleased with the starters and desserts however most of the main meals consisted of soggy chips and Luke warm battered fish or chicken...the swimming pool was not up to standard and for a hotel so big they only have 5 loungers around the pool...everybody was pleased with there treatments in the spa area and the staff were friendly and polite...there is no onsite parking here but a local public car park next to the hotel which charge £10.00 per night..so it cost us an extra £20.00 we were not expecting to pay out...maybe guests should have free passes if staying at this very expensive hotel.

1  Thank Linda B
Laura R, General Manager at Grand Harbour Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2014

Dear Linda B, Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay. I am sorry to read there were aspects you did not enjoy, and in particular your dinner that evening. Please accept my sincere apologies for this and I have passed your concerns on to the chef for future improvements. I was pleased to read you enjoyed the breakfast and your spa treatments in the spa area.

Reviewed April 12, 2014

My first observation is that the hotel has become very tired and worn looking and could do with a very good refurbishment to bring it up to date.

My partner and I stayed at the hotel on 11th April 2014, as we attended a friends wedding reception.

Whilst the bed in our hotel room was comfortable, the rest of the room wasn't entirely up to a standard I would expect from a hotel.

There was a stain in the bath; Grout on the tiles was dirty; The corner of the bath, where there is sealant was black with mould; The shower was worn and dirty and the shower hose leaked; The floor in the corner by the bath was dirty and mouldy; The tissue box holder was empty; The TV cabinet was dirty and had marks on the surface where coffee mugs have stained the wood; The bottom of the TV cabinet was marked and chipped; One of the bedside cabinets was chipped.

In addition there was no hot water running from the shower. There was hot water running from the bath and sink taps but not the shower, I can only assume the two run from different water systems. We left the shower running, with the temperature gauge at 40 for 10 minutes but it still ran cold. We did report this to reception in the evening and was advised that it would be looked into whilst we attend the Wedding reception, however, the following morning, it was still cold and therefore we had to run a bath instead.

On attending breakfast, I asked for a pot of Tea and when it came the waitress started to pour it for me, however, the tea was very very weak. I asked for another tea bag to be put into the pot, which she did, however, after brewing it for a few minutes, it still didn't make much difference - it was almost as if tea bags were being reused! or very poor quality tea bags.

I certainly wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone and wouldn't consider staying there again and don't believe I have received a room or service that warranted the payment of £87.00.

I did indicate to the receptionist when checking out that I wasn't entirely happy with our stay and asked for contact details of who to write to. Even after noting that we weren't happy, she did not ask once what was wrong. I do consider that very poor customer service.

There is a new Premier Inn a few minutes walk from this hotel and I am sure would have been much cleaner and if I stayed in that area again, I would stay at the Premier Inn.

2  Thank Samantha H

Dear Samantha H, Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay. I am sorry to read you did not enjoy your stay. I believe that our Guest services manager is in contact with you. I am pleased to say that all the room aspects you noted will be corrected in the present refurbishment program we are undergoing.
kind regards

Reviewed April 10, 2014

A very average hotel definitely not worthy of its 4 stars.
New refurbished rooms still leave a lot to be desired, very basic amenities in rooms, no mini bar or fridges, no complimentary bottles of water and certainly no pen and paper for those little notes.
Air con is either non existent or doesn't work. Many rooms have oil filled radiators to heat them up. The hotel proudly announces that £4million is being spent on refurbishments but fail to see where.
Night concierge is surly and almost resents having to make food, and breakfast staff seem to be few and far between.
Refurbishments are still on going so drilling and hammering early in the morning is common.For such a big chain of hotels this is a poor show.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business

Dear Londontraveller6, Thank you for taking the time to review your visit. I am sorry to read you did not fully enjoy your stay. All of our fully refurbishment rooms have full air-conditioning systems placed in them, so I can only assume that the room you stayed if was not yet refurbished. There are still works going on, and I am sorry that any occasional noise in the day was heard where you were, I can assure you however that there are no early morning works at all on site. As we are no longer part of a brand or chain all feedback is vital in our new endeavour. All comments help us with our program for constant growth and improvement. Thank you.

Reviewed April 8, 2014

Have just been on a weekend break in the Grand Harbour hotel with great friends. We reserved two double rooms and was upgraded to a king size one with a balcony the view was overlooking the Solent. The staff was very helpfull as well, the food was excellent at breakfast with a selection to choose from. We will be retuning again very soon.

Room Tip: We had room 349 and was very happy with it.