Stayed at the Grand Harbour Hotel in Southampton on New Years Eve as something of a change to the norm and booked dinner at the nearby La Margherita Italian. We booked an Executive King Room with a sea view as a treat. Parking is at the side and was a reasonable cost for the day. Check in was quick and all was ok until we got to the room. The main part was spacious and comfy as you would expect for this standard of hotel. It had a large flat screen TV, a fridge and a balcony overlooking the Estuary. Be warned as it is by the Docks the view is a lot of cranes etc. We then looked at the bathroom. There was a bath, sink and a small cubicle shower next to the toilet. When I looked at the shower which by the way a small man would struggle to wash in the basin was dirty and grungy looking.
I went to reception and asked to be moved which they did. When we got to the next room there was no shower at all. My wife books hotels by the bathroom so as you might imagine she was not impressed. So another call to receptiuon and another change of room! The third room was the same as the first with a small cubicle shower. We asked about this and was told all rooms except the suites are like this. Now the room description stated a walk in shower but I did not expect that to be a small cubicle. We had to finally accept this room even though the corners of the shower around the door were also dirty. Next was the hot water which was tepid at best. We let it run for several minutes but it never got hot enough to steam up the mirror. We went for a walk and got back around 5pm. We decided to have a drink in the bar which was very nice and not too bad for price. Then back to the room which was cold by now. So turned on the heating which was not working. The room was like a fridge! Called reception who said they would sent maintenance up and he would be here in 5-10 minutes. 20 minutes later I called again and asked where he was? I was told he can turn it on from downstairs and the room would warm up in about 10 minutes. 20 minutes later the heating was still not working. By now we had to get ready to go out in a cold room with tepid hot water (such fun!). On the way out I again spoke to reception about the heating and asked someone look at it in the room.
We went out and had a great New Years Eve at the Italian and got back to the hotel around 2am. We walked into the room which was now a Sauna as they had put a small fan heater on the floor and it was going full blast !!
Overall the main room was great, and reception, restaurants and bar were good also. But the bathroom was awful and no hot water or heating was not a great combination. Overall I would not go back and stay here again if they paid me !! I did complain in the morning and got a reduction on the bill which was something.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set sail for a unique stay at the 4-star Grand Harbour Hotel Southampton. Overlooking Southampton waterfront, this iconic hotel with its towering glass atrium is a cut above the rest. Visit one of two restaurants each with their contemporary cuisine or try the unique candlelit spa. If you are in Southampton on business we can facilitate any meeting requirements with our impressive function rooms and dedicated event co-ordinators. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Orbitz, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your Grand Harbour Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- De Vere Grand Harbour Hotel Southampton
- De Vere Grand Harbour Southampton
- De Vere Hotel Southampton