“3 Star Accomodation at 4 Star Prices”

Grand Harbour Hotel
Ranked #19 of 24 Hotels in Southampton
London, United Kingdom
“3 Star Accomodation at 4 Star Prices”
Reviewed January 3, 2014

Stayed at the Grand Harbour Hotel in Southampton on New Years Eve as something of a change to the norm and booked dinner at the nearby La Margherita Italian. We booked an Executive King Room with a sea view as a treat. Parking is at the side and was a reasonable cost for the day. Check in was quick and all was ok until we got to the room. The main part was spacious and comfy as you would expect for this standard of hotel. It had a large flat screen TV, a fridge and a balcony overlooking the Estuary. Be warned as it is by the Docks the view is a lot of cranes etc. We then looked at the bathroom. There was a bath, sink and a small cubicle shower next to the toilet. When I looked at the shower which by the way a small man would struggle to wash in the basin was dirty and grungy looking.
I went to reception and asked to be moved which they did. When we got to the next room there was no shower at all. My wife books hotels by the bathroom so as you might imagine she was not impressed. So another call to receptiuon and another change of room! The third room was the same as the first with a small cubicle shower. We asked about this and was told all rooms except the suites are like this. Now the room description stated a walk in shower but I did not expect that to be a small cubicle. We had to finally accept this room even though the corners of the shower around the door were also dirty. Next was the hot water which was tepid at best. We let it run for several minutes but it never got hot enough to steam up the mirror. We went for a walk and got back around 5pm. We decided to have a drink in the bar which was very nice and not too bad for price. Then back to the room which was cold by now. So turned on the heating which was not working. The room was like a fridge! Called reception who said they would sent maintenance up and he would be here in 5-10 minutes. 20 minutes later I called again and asked where he was? I was told he can turn it on from downstairs and the room would warm up in about 10 minutes. 20 minutes later the heating was still not working. By now we had to get ready to go out in a cold room with tepid hot water (such fun!). On the way out I again spoke to reception about the heating and asked someone look at it in the room.
We went out and had a great New Years Eve at the Italian and got back to the hotel around 2am. We walked into the room which was now a Sauna as they had put a small fan heater on the floor and it was going full blast !!
Overall the main room was great, and reception, restaurants and bar were good also. But the bathroom was awful and no hot water or heating was not a great combination. Overall I would not go back and stay here again if they paid me !! I did complain in the morning and got a reduction on the bill which was something.

Room Tip: Try another hotel !
1 Thank Neil S
Laura R, General Manager at Grand Harbour Hotel, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Dear Neil S,
Thank you for taking the time to review your New Year’s Eve visit. I was very disappointed to read that the stay was not to your expectations and that you encountered some maintenance issues during your visit, please accept my sincere apologies for this. I am pleased to note that the duty manager did assist you on checkout regarding these. I am pleased to say that as of the 2nd January our 4 million pound refurbishment has begun which will correct all the product points you noted. Having just joined the team, the management team and I have taken on board your points and will be using them in our program for continued improvement in all aspects of guest service. Thank you again.
Laura
Laura Roberts

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (396)
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We did not stay in the Hotel as guests but went for a Christmas lunch as a treat for the family including my mother in law, who has been given the all-clear from cancer- so this had to be good, and it was. We had Bucks Fizz on entry, our coats were whisked away with no fuss and bother and we were invited to relax on sofas until we were ready to go to our table. The Restaurant manager came over to us and checked that we were happy, and showed us to our table, beautifully set out. The service was impressively good, the wine excellent and the food first rate. My wife is a vegetarian who is had to please but she declared herself to be very happy with her risotto. My daughter didn't want the set puddings so had the cheek to ask for ice cream which quickly appeared- four different flavours on one plate! Highly recommended and we will be going back.
My wife was chatting to another lady in the Reception area who was similarly impressed, so this wasn't just a one-off.
The staff were friendly and attentive and I felt that i had given my family a really memorable time.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Ian L
Dear Ian L
Thank you so much for your fabulous 5 star review. I was very pleased to read of your enjoyment of all aspects of your recent visit. I know my team will take great motivation, as I do from your review, thank you. I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.
Laura
London
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We stayed for a New Year's Eve dinner. Our experience on checking in was awful with the receptionist claiming that they had not received payment. My wife eventually paid again in order to access the room until I arrived to sort it after the lengthy process of finding space to park the car. A pretty grim welcome. The room itself was a reasonable size, old but clean although there were cracked bathroom floor tiles. Well equipped with tea & coffee, Iron and hairdryer. There was no chair to use at the dressing table/desk in our room. They are promising a refurbishment programme so perhaps these points will be dealt with. Apart from Reception all the staff were friendly and service from a young team was good, both in the bar and at the evening function. Breakfast was particularly good with a wide spread of cold and hot dishes and eggs cooked fresh in front of you. I wish I had drunk less of their draught lager at £6.20 per pint. London Prices!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Yarrow1946,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. Please accept my apologies that you did not enjoy all aspects of your stay. I was pleased that outside of check-in you found the team friendly, and that you enjoyed all that our great breakfast has to offer. All your comments have been noted and will help us in our program of continual improvement, thank you. I am pleased to say our long awaited refurbishment has now begun, and I hope that you might have the opportunity in the future to return once it is finished to experience our great new product.
Kind regards Laura
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Four of us stayed in two rooms over New Year's Eve and were generally very pleased with the service, food and room.
Every member of staff we came across was courteous and helpful.
Breakfast was excellent, an extensive selection of good quality hot food, good coffee and an assortment of fresh fruit and yoghurt.
The room was larger than expected and well equipped with tea and coffe, fridge, trouser press and iron. WiFi was free and fast.
the room looked a little tired, wallpaper splitting and signs of damp under the windowsill but we understand the rooms are being renovated this year. The only real negative was the lack of control of the heating. The radiator was three feet from my side of the bed and I couldn't turn it off meaning we had to open the window to allow sleep. Apart from this we couldn't fault our one night stay,
Parking is £10.00 a night but space is limited.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Grand Harbour H... S, General Manager at Grand Harbour Hotel, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Dear stheBRIT

Thank you for sharing your feedback for your recent stay on this site for others to read, I was pleased that you enjoyed your stay and found the team to be courteous and helpful and the breakfast excellent.

I am delighted to say that we started our refurbishment in the New Year and this will include a complete refurbishment of all bedrooms, restaurant and bar area along with the installation of air-conditioning and new beds we will also be redecorating the Leisure Club.

Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience cause due to the limited parking we have do have 190 parking spaces on site and our charges are in line with other local hotels.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 1, 2014

A deluxe room was booked but the towel warmer did not work and the shower was antiquated. The iron was marked as needing repair and the ill fitting window made it feel like the South Pole in a blizzard, when the wind was blowing hard. The worst part was that the manager appeared not to care about customers. Apparently a big reburbishment is due and not before time. A management that takes customer service seriously is also needed.
At breakfast, on one morning, the table was cleared by an over zealous waiter whilst my partner and myself were collecting our cooked breakfast.

Room Tip: When the wind blows do not choose room 239 or rooms with patio doors.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Geoffrey W
Dear Geoffrey W

Thank you for your feedback, I have recently joined the team at the Grand Harbour Hotel and was very disappointed to read that your feel the Manager you spoke to appeared not to care about our customs. Please be assured we take all our customer feedback seriously and continually strive to exceed our guest’s expectations.

Please accept my sincere apologies that on this occasion we did not meet the satisfactory level of standards and service.

As you mentioned we started a £4million refurbishment in the New Year and I do hope that we may have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Hook, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 30, 2013

Just come back from a two night break. The hotel receptionist was polite and helpful. The room was a good size and very clean. The bed was really comfortable and the pillows were plump and comfy. The breakfast was excellent but we found the restaurant prices for dinner a bit expensive. £17 for fish and chips!

Dear Colin C

Thank you for your review, I was delighted to read you had an enjoyable stay and found the team to be polite and the hotel comfortable.

I am pleased you enjoyed breakfast, with regards to the restaurant prices these are set in line with other local hotels offering a similar product and service. I will of course pass your feedback on to our Head Chef for review.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future,

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Overall very good hotel although a little overpriced given the rooms need some minor updating, service very good and friendly. The main issue is not being told that car parking would be charged at £10 a night when we booked, nor that space was very limited we had to drive round several times and then wait for someone to leave, fortunately that was only 15 minutes but we were ready to give up and thought we would end up driving around trying to find a car park with overnight stays. If we had been told we could have looked for any alternative car parking nearby that allowed overnight parking before we set off. Spoilt the initial impression of the hotel which is generally good.

Room Tip: if you can afford it go for a room with a balcony, although most rooms appear to have reasonable vie...
Dear Gary W

I was pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your stay at the hotel.

Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused due to parking availability, we do have 190 onsite parking spaces and are charges are in line with other local hotels offering a similar product and service. I am sorry that this charge was not pointed out to you at the time of booking, however I believe it is noted on all confirmations.

Thank you for taking the time to complete this review and I do hope that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Grand Harbour Hotel in the future.