“Night before sailing”

Ranked #19 of 24 Hotels in Southampton
Edina, Minnesota
“Night before sailing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

This was a convenient hotel for the night before sailing from Southampton. The room was clean and quiet. The lobby and public areas were all very nice. The front desk staff and bellman were a little backed up when we checked in, but the concierge provided good information about restaurant locations in the evening and helped procure a taxi when checking out. The included breakfast was very good. Very satisfactory for our purpose.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mike_Edina

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (391)
Concord, NC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

I booked this hotel because it was close to the docks where our ship would leave. The hotel claims a 4 star rating. The deluxe room we booked seemed very nice except for the fact that it had to be over 80 degrees inside due to the heat wave which had begun a week before. There was a fan that would operate on medium speed only but that was the only climate control available. The window was bolted closed. I asked for a room change and after some time we were shown a standard room with a window that would open. We jumped at the chance. We had just spent 4 nights in a hot historic hotel in London and were looking forward to a cool night before boarding. Even after moving to a room with an operational window our room was warm during the night.
I give a poor rating because of the absence of climate control. A 4 star property can't be 4 stars and have their guests suffering in hot rooms for the lack of A key component of a premium hotel. Apparently we would have been better off at the Holiday Inn which had a/c in the rooms according to what a guest there told us.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NC_Hiker

Travelers are raving about these Southampton hotels

Winterswijk, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

I ended up in this hotel due to a reservation at another hotel nearby having gone wrong. But it was a happy accident, for this may well be my favourite hotel. The hotel certainly looks grand, deserving its name. Staff are very friendly and helpful. Excellent facilities with always some added bonus, always more than other hotels (I loved the luxury, light and relatively large swimming pool in the spa, loved the sauna, the excellent facilities in the dressing room of the spa, etc.), the very spacious hotel room and bathroom (you could easily use the bathroom with more than one person at a time if you were staying there as a couple, it was very large), the very comfortable bed and other excellent furniture, it's just all very well appointed. It has one of the most extensive breakfast buffets I've seen, quick and polite service ... what more do you want? Moreover, the hotel is conveniently situated for visiting the city centre, the major stores, and for ship's passengers, and has parking facilities. Highly recommended!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank windmillfan
Southampton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

It is no surprise that this hotel lost its five star status, in fact it should be downgraded further as in my opinion this is never a four star hotel.
Tired and dated rooms, no air-con, shocking room service, and an all-round drab feel make this hotel dark and depressing. Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse it did when I tried to check-out. After a 20 minute wait the miserable receptionist almost begrudgingly checked me out and didn't so much as smile, say thank you, or how was your stay! Avoid this hotel at all costs!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

we stayed here in december, we booked a deluxe sea view double on special offer at 2 nights for the price of 1, we arrived about 12.30 and was told the room would be ready by 3pm which we didn't mind as we spent the afternoon shopping, we got back to the hotel at 3.20pm but was told are room just needed checking we then waited a further 45 minutes for someone to check the room we would have sat longer if we hadn't reminded the receptionist that we were still waiting as he had forgot! the room itself was very lovely, big, clean and very comfortable.
we booked a meal in the restaurant on the following night and was very impressed we opted for the al a carte menu, more expensive but well worth the £120.
breakfast was excellent a massive choice of foods and as much as you could eat.
the only downfalls of the stay was 1. booking in, 2. not being able to use the spa as they were short of staff 3. very busy with cruise passengers and 4. checking out as this took us an hour after the initial check out time as there seemed to be everyone checking out at once for the cruises. it's a shame this hotel is used as an overnighter for the cruise lines as this could be a lovely romantic hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Lincoln, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013 via mobile

I hesitated giving a rating of very good only because I thought average was not fair. This is a grand hotel make no bones about it, the building is impressive. The food in the restaurant was good, the wine excellent. Staff in the bar and restaurant were very polite and helpful. Gym facilities very good. My room was very spacious and well equipped, and overall I enjoyed my stay. I also found the concierge service to be most helpful.

The criticisms I have are minor, but to be the best theres always room for improvement. I was not impressed with check in, to be fair it was late at night when I arrived but it wasn't up to scratch. The room was incredibly hot, but that's more the weather than the hotels fault. An investment in air con in the rooms for such a high rated hotel would be a sound investment.

I managed to get an exceptionally good price for my two nights stay. To pay an average of less than 90 per night is exceptionally good value for a hotel of this standard. I would stay again if the price was right, just for the food and facilities. It wasn't too far to walk into the city centre either, very convenient.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank leonf679
Brisbane, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

My wife a I booked in for a two night stay at this (four star!!) hotel as a wedding anniversary treat.
Having booked in Australia and being impressed with the online photos and description we agreed that it would be a nice upgrade from the Premier Inn accommodation that we would be using during our tour of England. On arrival we parked near the lobby and proceeded to the check in counter. We greeted by a staff member who asked if we had a car and did we want to use the Hotel car park at 10 pounds per night. On agreeing to this fee I asked where the entrance to the car park was and could I take the bags straight up from the car park to the room
I was then informed that the Hotel car park was... out of the Hotel...down the front path...around the side....over the road and find a space in one closed off corner of the nearby shopping centre car park.... and you must get a ticket endorsed each day to get out...and there may not be a space when it's busy!
After lugging two suitcases back to the hotel lobby we took the lift to our room only to walk into a small drab space with aging furniture, blistering paint and a small window looking out onto a dirty flat roof almost at the same level as the window ledge.
By this time I had had enough and phoned down to reception to demand another room.
Eventually a young lady arrived and proceeded to apologise for the room quality stating that the Hotel had been sold recently and was due for a complete refurbishment.
She then offered us an upgraded room on the ninth floor and a complimentary bottle of red or white wine. We accepted a bottle of red to be delivered to the new room later.
The upgraded room was acceptable, by no means superior but did have a glimpse of the ocean.
Although being May we did not need air conditioning I enquired as to where the controls were and was told that none of the air conditioning worked. My wife carries medication that should be kept cool so I was pleased to see the small bar fridge in the room....except when I enquired I was informed that all the hotel fridges had not worked for some time!...I was informed of this by a very polite young employee who presented me with our RED wine perfectly chilled in an ice bucket!!
I could go on and on but in a nutshell this hotel is expensive, in poor condition at present, the staff seem to be unhappy. Let's hope that the new owners give it the upgrade that it deserves....
and by the way The Premier Inns turned out to be a hit, providing clean,cosy non pretentious accommodation with very friendly staff and good food at their in-house bistro type restaurants.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple