I was going to write a so-so review of this Hotel but our and many other families treatment on our day of leaving prompted me to change my view slightly. Firstly the parking -well you have to pay £10 to park a night but it seems if you have a Bentley or a Range Rover you can park on the double yellow lines for free with no ticket. After lugging your bags half way across the car park there is no concierge to hold open the door as they are too busy keeping warm to hold open the v heavy door and help a lady and a child with the luggage. I checked in agreed the rate that we had been charged and prepaid and that it was for 2 adults 1 child for 2 night and that the extra bed/sofa bed was made up. Yes its all been done madame there is nothing else to pay (we'll come back to this in a mo) We booked a sea view exec room and were on the second floor - room is old but was at least clean after seeing some of the pictures posted up from other guests. The Balcony was rusted and the view is not of anything other than a roundabout, the remnants of the old city walls and the Red Funnel Ferries - and below a stagnant pond belonging to the hotel with rubbish strewn across it , in it and dead reeds and plants. It was not a v nice view. The staff in the bar and restaurant are very friendly and the breakfast was a good assortment,fresh,hot and tasty. But it is in the breakfast area that caused bad blood not just to us but to basiclallly ever family staying there on their final day. Sunday our first Morning there- we sat and had breakfast - fine no problems. Monday I checked out paid the car parking and took the bags to the car whilst my husband and son took a table for breakfast - when I arrived there my hisband was fuming - saying that the lady on the front of the breakfast room was demanding £7.50 for my son to eat breakfast. I went and explained that I had already checked out paid the final bill and there was nothing more to pay. No if he wanted to eat I had to go and pay £7.50 at reception get a recipt and present it to her before he was allowed to eat anything. I went to reception - explained that the bill had been settled - I had booking confirmation that the room rate was for 3 and I had paid in full. None of this was mentioned at time of booking at time of check in or check out. She said they had made an error in not charging us for the previous day so wouldn't charge us for that but if he wanted to eat we would have to pay.I paid as we had a drive back and there wasn't time for us to go looking for somehere to feed him. My son is 11 so £7.50 isn't too bad but he only ate 1 raher of bacon and some toast so it is a rip off. All the other familes fared worse the poor couple on the next table were hit with a bill for £30 for their two under 5's who brought their own juice cups with them and ate a small bowl of fruit each. Another table were arguing loudly as they had 6 children between them and were being told even the babies were being charged. Ever person at Reception was angry and disappointed and the way the underhanded nature that they went about it changed my opinion from an ok for a night hotel to I would never use a De Vere again. It was fraudulent to say the least.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set sail for a unique stay at the 4-star Grand Harbour Hotel Southampton. Overlooking Southampton waterfront, this iconic hotel with its towering glass atrium is a cut above the rest. Visit one of two restaurants each with their contemporary cuisine or try the unique candlelit spa. If you are in Southampton on business we can facilitate any meeting requirements with our impressive function rooms and dedicated event co-ordinators. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Hotels.com, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, HRS and HotelQuickly so you can book your Grand Harbour Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- De Vere Grand Harbour Hotel Southampton
- De Vere Grand Harbour Southampton
- De Vere Hotel Southampton