“Old Tired and Blatant Conning Practices!”

Grand Harbour Hotel
Ranked #19 of 24 Hotels in Southampton
Surrey
“Old Tired and Blatant Conning Practices!”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

I was going to write a so-so review of this Hotel but our and many other families treatment on our day of leaving prompted me to change my view slightly. Firstly the parking -well you have to pay £10 to park a night but it seems if you have a Bentley or a Range Rover you can park on the double yellow lines for free with no ticket. After lugging your bags half way across the car park there is no concierge to hold open the door as they are too busy keeping warm to hold open the v heavy door and help a lady and a child with the luggage. I checked in agreed the rate that we had been charged and prepaid and that it was for 2 adults 1 child for 2 night and that the extra bed/sofa bed was made up. Yes its all been done madame there is nothing else to pay (we'll come back to this in a mo) We booked a sea view exec room and were on the second floor - room is old but was at least clean after seeing some of the pictures posted up from other guests. The Balcony was rusted and the view is not of anything other than a roundabout, the remnants of the old city walls and the Red Funnel Ferries - and below a stagnant pond belonging to the hotel with rubbish strewn across it , in it and dead reeds and plants. It was not a v nice view. The staff in the bar and restaurant are very friendly and the breakfast was a good assortment,fresh,hot and tasty. But it is in the breakfast area that caused bad blood not just to us but to basiclallly ever family staying there on their final day. Sunday our first Morning there- we sat and had breakfast - fine no problems. Monday I checked out paid the car parking and took the bags to the car whilst my husband and son took a table for breakfast - when I arrived there my hisband was fuming - saying that the lady on the front of the breakfast room was demanding £7.50 for my son to eat breakfast. I went and explained that I had already checked out paid the final bill and there was nothing more to pay. No if he wanted to eat I had to go and pay £7.50 at reception get a recipt and present it to her before he was allowed to eat anything. I went to reception - explained that the bill had been settled - I had booking confirmation that the room rate was for 3 and I had paid in full. None of this was mentioned at time of booking at time of check in or check out. She said they had made an error in not charging us for the previous day so wouldn't charge us for that but if he wanted to eat we would have to pay.I paid as we had a drive back and there wasn't time for us to go looking for somehere to feed him. My son is 11 so £7.50 isn't too bad but he only ate 1 raher of bacon and some toast so it is a rip off. All the other familes fared worse the poor couple on the next table were hit with a bill for £30 for their two under 5's who brought their own juice cups with them and ate a small bowl of fruit each. Another table were arguing loudly as they had 6 children between them and were being told even the babies were being charged. Ever person at Reception was angry and disappointed and the way the underhanded nature that they went about it changed my opinion from an ok for a night hotel to I would never use a De Vere again. It was fraudulent to say the least.

1 Thank Pudge74

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (411)
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Received a very polite and efficient reception on arrival. In fact, all the staff in the hotel were excellent. The room with a sea view and balcony was very spacious and clean with modern decor, as was the bathroom which had a separate shower unit as well as a bath.
The restaurant was well run by excellent staff who were friendly and efficient. Plenty of choice both in the evening and at breakfast, which was good quality and well cooked. We had afternoon tea with champagne one day which was excellent, definitely recommend!
The only minus point was the car park charge. However, if you are the owner of the Porsche or BMW you can park directly by the hotel entrance on double yellow lines for free! Management please note.
A well positioned hotel, easily accessed by road, ideal for shops or harbour offering good service. Had a great weekend and would recommend.

Room Tip: Worth paying for a larger room.
Reviewed April 2, 2013

We stayed for the one night and found the staff friendly, the rooms comfortable and the location excellent for West Quay and the high Street and Above Bar Street.
We didn't have dinner in the restaurant although having read the menu wished we had been staying an additional night - it looked great.
The breakfast in the morning was really good. Predominantly buffet but also several options cooked to order. Again, very friendly staff.
There were some amazing deals for the spa as well but we unfortunately ran out of time.
Will certainly stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Blackpool
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Loved this hotel!

Recently stayed here through work, for one night only, and was delighted with my choice.

A very grand entrance, coupled with pleasant staff and a nice room, but the room gave the hotel it's only poor point of my stay, so lets get that out of the way.
I found a Nurofen capsule on the floor of the room, just next to the desk. Not a big problem for me, but if I had had kids with me, who could have picked it up and eaten it, then it would have been a problem. I think the cleaner needs to check when vacuuming.
Don't get me wrong, the room was clean, but a little more care and attention to be taken.

The hotel restaurant is expensive, but boy is it worth it. I had a fantastic steak, I'm just glad my work was paying for it, and not me.

Yet another hotel where you have to pay for parking, but glad to say it had free wi-fi.

I would definitely stay here again, but it would be a treat, and not a budget stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is getting very tired. Needs updating. Lots of interconnecting rooms, and rooms on South West side get lots of wind noise due to the architecture. Not a relaxing stay, better places for the money.

• Stayed April 2013
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 30, 2013

We thought we would give the hotel another chance after not being happy last time

Glad to say we had no problems this time and enjoyed our stay

We always liked staying here previous as it is right on the waterfront, next to all the shops (west quay) and really handy for joining our cruise ship.

Check in was smooth efficient and staff friendly, nice room clean and comfortable.

Have already booked again for when we are down this way end of May

London
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Stayed for our first wedding anniversary Oct 2012. Staff lovely , they even gave us a box of chocs and anniversary card. Room very clean, had a balcony overlooking garden and sea side view to the right. Hotel restaurant good, food was amazing, has pulled pork which just melted in the mouth, steak was divine. pudding was fab too. Good shops, would defo go again.

Room Tip: ask for a balcony defiantely worth it for the view.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple