“Tired”

Grand Harbour Hotel
Ranked #19 of 24 Hotels in Southampton
“Tired”
Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is getting very tired. Needs updating. Lots of interconnecting rooms, and rooms on South West side get lots of wind noise due to the architecture. Not a relaxing stay, better places for the money.

• Stayed April 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (396)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 30, 2013

We thought we would give the hotel another chance after not being happy last time

Glad to say we had no problems this time and enjoyed our stay

We always liked staying here previous as it is right on the waterfront, next to all the shops (west quay) and really handy for joining our cruise ship.

Check in was smooth efficient and staff friendly, nice room clean and comfortable.

Have already booked again for when we are down this way end of May

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
London
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Stayed for our first wedding anniversary Oct 2012. Staff lovely , they even gave us a box of chocs and anniversary card. Room very clean, had a balcony overlooking garden and sea side view to the right. Hotel restaurant good, food was amazing, has pulled pork which just melted in the mouth, steak was divine. pudding was fab too. Good shops, would defo go again.

Room Tip: ask for a balcony defiantely worth it for the view.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Enfieldgirl
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I came for a 2 night break with a friend. We chose Grand Harbour as it looked the nicest hotel, had a spa and was overlooking the sea. When we arrived to check in our room was on the first floor. All you could hear was the traffic from the main road. It didn't say anywhere on the website that there is a BUSY main road between the hotel and the sea. We came back down to reception and aksed to be moved as it was just to noisy with the traffic. We were eventually moved to the 3rd floor. You could still here the road but it was marginally better. The rooms are extremely dark even with all the lights on. The bathroom was in desperate need of a refurbishment - cracked tiles, a toilet that wouldn;t flush unless you mvoed the handle about 10 times up and down.

We had dinner included on our first night. After asking for one glass of tap water 4 times it eventually came. We had to send one of the main courses back. The plate was so hot you couldn't touch it but the food was barely luke warm. We then ordered desserts and waited over half an hour for them to come. While we were waiting for the them the waitress came and apologised and offered us a complimentary tea or coffee.

The spa treatments were amazing but we couldn;t even sit by the pool and relax. It was so cold we were both shivering and that was before we even went for a swim!!!

I used to work for De Vere venues many years ago and it used to be a fantastic company with wonderful hotels. After staying here I am extremely disappointment and would not recommend this hotel to any of my freinds and this has now put me off staying at De Vere full stop ever again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Southampton hotels

Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 26, 2013

I have stayed in the hotel in the past but on this occasion I was invited to have complimentary afternoon tea with my daughter-in law, as apology for the very shabby way she had been treated over a spa booking. We had a lovely afternoon and enjoyed our sandwiches and scones, but it was all ruined when I was presented with a bill. Unfortunately the customer services manager who had sent me the invitation and made our booking, was not actually present on the day. The bar manager would not accept that this was complimentary, demanded that I pay and I was made to feel like a criminal. To save more fuss, as we had my 4-month old granddaughter with us, I did eventually pay for our "complimentary" afternoon tea. I was furious, especially as we were only there because the hotel had messed up in the first place. Now they had compounded it.
I went home, collected the letter of invitation, and returned to the hotel that evening where I received a refund and a very grudging apology from the bar manager and another fairly useless manager whom I later discovered was a trainee.
The customer services manager who had arranged this for us telephoned me the next day. She was very embarrassed and angry that we had been so poorly treated and said she could not understand how it had happened. Neither can I.
I've been told that the hotel is no longer part of the de Vere group. I'm not surprised.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Bournemouth, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I booked a twin deluxe room with a water view as a extra special treat for her hen night. I booked online, when we arrived check in was quick efficiant and easy. Room was amazing, clean, warm and comfortable. Had a good nights sleep, even the bathroom floor was comfortabke as my bestie ended up asleep on it at one point, too many shots she had when we were out. Breakfast was yummy. Checkout was also quick and efficiant.

Room Tip: Get a water view it is stunning.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 24, 2013

I have returned after a 5 day business trip at your hotel. I have emailed you on a personal basis, but have to say the Customer Service l received from Tom was outstanding, his personality shines through and he genuinely cares about the guests at the hotel.

The food was amazing, the pool and poolside factilites was really good.

The beds were very uncomfortable for me, which interrupted a good nights sleep.

Room Tip: Not all rooms have a good view, but if you can get a room with a balcony and a ocean view.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business