“Perfect start to the show”

Ovation, Mayflower Restaurant
Ranked #48 of 912 Restaurants in Southampton
Cuisines: Contemporary, International, British, Fusion
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: We are extremely proud to shout about our restaurant, Ovation. Proof that in-theatre dining can be sophisticated and contemporary. On the third floor of the city's Grade II Listed Mayflower Theatre, we are ideal for pre-show and selective post-show dining as well as more leisurely dining without the show. We are also the ideal restaurant for post-show dining after some matinee performances. Our dining room is modern in style with painted wood panelling, black and white stage photo prints and high backed leather seating, tables simply styled in monochrome, with polished silver and gleaming glassware. Modern European in flavour, our menu is as sleekly up to date as our surroundings with indulgent touches that give an extra sparkle to special occasion evenings. Our top notch wine list is an excellent accompaniment. It almost goes without saying that we offer extremely high quality and affordable dinner and show packages and of course our highly professional and efficient staff always ensure that if you're dining pre-theatre you will never miss curtain up!
Reviewed June 8, 2014

Really good meal. We had the lemon sole filet which was excellent. Recommended. We booked a table for 6.00 pm had 2 courses and had ample time to make the Show. Friendly and most efficient service.

1  Thank HamphireBob

Reviewed June 5, 2014

I am a regular at the Mayflower theatre and, although it is a 'once-in-a-while' treat, I've eaten at the Ovation restaurant many a time. Without fail, every aspect of the Ovation experience is fantastic!

The food is among the best I have ever tasted and it fully warrants the fine dining prices you pay - if not more. Presentation is immaculate on all courses and the flavours make me want to devolve into a child and wipe the plate with my bread roll!

The service is second to none, be it from the waiters or management alike. They're always so friendly and knowledgable, which in my experience is quite rare in fine dining settings. It also helps when you eat there pre-show as there is always an added 'buzz' to the atmosphere.

On the whole, I can't recommend this place highly enough! It gets even better when you book your meal as part of a package deal with theatre tickets, as you save money!

1  Thank Jamie S
Reviewed May 29, 2014

We went to a themed evening meal, based upon the old TV classic 'Are You Being Served'. It was a murder mystery meal, but in fairness if you couldn't guess who did it you must have been the victim.

The fun lasted about 3-hours, but what could have been over-looked was the meal that the show had been built around. It was very good, hot, well prepared and serving a few hundred people at the same time must have taken quite a bit of logistics.

Putting the excellent themed evening to one side, the food, quality and service was very, very good. Recommended if you want to mix with others and don't mind having a bit of leg-pulling from the cast.

1  Thank KIF0000001
Reviewed May 29, 2014

An outing to the Mayflower Theatre was enhanced by a meal in the Ovation before the show. The room is welcoming as are the staff and service throughout was to a high standard. The menu is above par for a theatre restaurant although prices are on the high side to match. Our food was expertly cooked and presented in an efficient manner so we could relax and enjoy without constantly looking at the clock. The ultimate convenient location if you are visiting the theatre so for a special night out the Ovation is highly recommended.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

With May 2014 being our Silver Anniversary month we decided to treat ourselves. Firstly, 20th Century Boy (Marc Bolan) was on and for an ardent T-Rex fan that show was a must for me and as it was our special month we decided we'd have to dine at Ovation as part of the package.
We were greeted by the friendly Spanish Maitre D' who was very attentive throughout the meal as were the waitress and wine waiter. Excellent starter of cured smoked salmon, courgette, pine nuts and cucumber gelee.
My husband then had saddle of rabbit, black pudding, confit leeks, potato galets and rabbit jus.
I had rack of lamb with a herb crust, fondant potato, pea puree, broad beans and carrot.
Both meals were excellent.
We followed this with banana and praline parfait, passion fruit foam, hazelnut brittle and caramellised banana. Very yummy!!
The following week we returned for my husbands treat as the show was 'Let It Be', a Beatles tribute.
We had the same meals as the previous week but they were nowhere near as good. Different chef perhaps. Also, no Maitre D', the waitress poured a little wine into each glass and we never saw her again, except for when she brought our meals, so had to pour for ourselves and I had to call her over to ask for mint sauce (it was offered the week before). She then went on to tell us that she had been working in 5* hotels in Spain! Could have fooled me!!
When booking the tickets on the phone my husband mentioned this was for our Silver Anniversary and this seemed to have been conveyed to the Restaurant because just after having our desserts the waitress brought out an 'Anniversary' plate with lemon ice cream, orange mousse and carrot cake with the appellation written in chocolate. A very nice touch indeed but I just wish the mains and service were more like the previous week.

2  Thank Kim C