“Pushy owner but means well and the food is very good!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Indian Melody

Indian Melody
Ranked #144 of 840 Restaurants in Southampton
Cuisines: Indian, Asian
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Families with children, Romantic, Dining on a budget, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Buffet, Delivery, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: the first and only authentic indian vegetarian restarant in Hampshire
“Pushy owner but means well and the food is very good!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012 via mobile

I went to Indian melody on a Sunday night for my friends birthday and we were the only people in the restaurant. The layout and decor makes you feel like your in a living room which I liked. The owner came over and took drinks orders and then explained the menu and where all the food comes from which I thought was a nice touch, he interrupted our conversation a few times which was a bit rude but he meant well and you can tell he has a genuine passion for food. I let him order for me and I was not disappointed the Indian melody special was delicious the aloo gobi was delicious and the idli manchurian which I'd never heard of before was amazing he even explained how it was made from the beginning. in summary amazing food and ill definitely go back even though I love meat I hardly knew it was missing

Fleet, United Kingdom
“Abysmal”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

I was going to start this review by saying this is the worst Indian restaurant I have ever visited, but I feel that would be unfair or misleading. This the worst 'RESTAURANT' I have visited full stop.
Upon arrival, we asked for a table for two. After being left being left dangling in the middle of the restaurant for almost 5 minutes, we were eventually ushered to a large table and made to feel guilty having heard the staff conversing that they could fit more people at the table.
Next up, we were left for the best part of 15 minutes before we were asked for drinks, let alone being offered a menu. When we did finally receive a menu, it was accompanied by the establishment's cretinous owner sitting down and trying to force certain meals upon us. He seemed offended and quite rude when we awkwardly said we'd mull it over and order when ready.
It was soon after that we realised that this was a vegetarian restaurant, admittedly this was our fault, although it is not clearly stated. We ordered our meals, again with the 'help' of the rude, sales pushing manager, and decided to give it a go regardless, as not to appear rude. Shortly after ordering we were treated to a bit of a show: The manager forcibly ejecting a family (including a baby in a pushchair) who complained when they tried to order multiple items from the menu, only to be told they couldn't. We also had this problem when trying to order a naan bread, we were told they didn't serve it, despite me looking at it on the menu as he told us.
We would have left there and then, but we had already ordered 4 poppadums ( much to the offence of the manager after we spurned his forced suggestions regarding starters, which happened to be the most expensive). We only received 2 poppadums, so had to ask for the other 2.
When our main courses arrived, they were incredibly uninspiring. There was barely any food, and my dish contained some kind of foul meat substitute which was not supposed to be in there. By this point we were beyond caring, we couldn't wait to get out and come and write this scathing review. Yet I had to ask for the bill 3 times in the space of 20 minutes while the manager was sat with a family behind us, subjecting them to his relentless verbal diarrhoea.
I read a review on here comparing it to Fawlty Towers, which I felt was an excellent comparison, but at least Fawlty Towers is funny.

• Visited October 2012
8 Thank Paddy D
Eastleigh UK
“Some very tasty vegan food served here”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

It's good to have a restaurant in Southampton with some very tasty vegan options, to meet up with friends who are also vegan or to enjoy on our own.

• Visited September 2012
southampton
“don't go there”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

I went to the indian melody with a couple of friends, and we were really disappointed. Probably we did not made the best choice, as we went for the thali because we wanted to taste a bit of everything. The food was cold and tasteless, and we also ordered a chilli paratha which was almost sending us to hospital. it was basically all chopped chillies with some bread, and after a few bites I had to go out and take some fresh air because I felt really bad. I was with a friend from India and she also said it was not eatable. Luckily they took the paratha out of the bill. Honestly, there are so many nice indian restaurants in Southampton that it's better to avoid this one.

• Visited May 2012
5 Thank Polidora
Southampton
“A new eating experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

As a lover of Indian food I looked forward to this meal. The frontage of the restaurant is small I think it used to be a sports shop years ago, but it is like the Tardis and goes back a long way. I was with my Wife and some friends one of which is a vegetarian. We ordered several different dishes some of which I had heard of and some not. Some of the food is cooked in the restaurant itself which is interesting to watch if the conversation lulls. When the food arrived we all shared the food around loads of different flavours were there I really enjoyed the experience. After we had finished our meal the owner joined us and asked for our opinion. We enthused about it and he told about his passion for food and answered our questions about various dishes. The ambience is great as are the tables, all individual (another of the owners passions) Hopefully I'll be back soon.

• Visited September 2012