“Looking forward to a return visit”
Review of La Baronia

La Baronia
Ranked #41 of 909 Restaurants in Southampton
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed December 9, 2013 via mobile

Visited La Beronia for the first time tonight and based on the experience, I believe this is the best Mexican in Southampton. Even narrowly beating the excellent La Cantina.

Atmosphere is spot-on with music and decor, the food was excellent with specials available, and the price reasonable. Quick and polite service. Portion sizes are a little on the large size perhaps, but some may consider this a good thing! My only criticisms (and these are very minor) is that, for a restaurant that uses a lot of cheese, they could have used a proper cheese rather than the cheap-quality ready-grated stuff. Also, the way the menu is laid-out is quite confusing and needed a little bit of explaining. But as I say, these are only very minor points that did not affect the overall experience.

We had a thoroughly enjoyable birthday meal here and will return.

Reviewed December 8, 2013

Popped here one nite in the week about a month ago, the staff were very accomodationg, thefoodnwas amazing very rich but very authentic. We passed on our co pliers to the chef and he came out and had a good chat with us and even gave us a little taster of his pudding, all in all a cracking meal with great service and a lovely atmosphere. Highly recommend :-)

Reviewed December 2, 2013

myself and my partner have visited this restaurant numerous times on our own and with friends, its our favorite restaurant without a doubt. the best Mexican food we have ever found (and we went to top restaurants in London), great service, lovely atmosphere and tasty cocktails. so this is why i decided to propose to my girlfriend here!! Kim the manager couldn't of been more helpful, spent days arranging my surprise marriage proposal by hiring two Mexican singers to serenade us at our table!! was brilliant and my now fiancee loved it. thanks for all your hard-work and attention to detail. best night. thank you so much, this place and the people who work their are diamonds.

Reviewed November 19, 2013

I visited La Baronia again on Saturday night and once again had a fantastic meal. We arrived without a booking at around 8pm and they were able to seat us very quickly despite the place being absolutely rammed. I have some awkward dietary requirements which always met with smiles and them going out of their way to accommodate. This is the only Mexican restaurant I've been to in England that does Mexican food properly and I visit as often as I can. I am a chef by trade and can tell when fresh food is cooked well, thanks guys I'll be back soon...

Reviewed November 6, 2013

We visisted La Baronio on a Monday evening and found it to be busier than we expected, but in a good way. We have had Mexican meals in restaurants before and have frankly left disappointed but not so with La Baronio. The menu was exciting, not just your usual fajitas and enchilada dishes with a sloppy chilli con carne thrown in.
We started with a plate of nachos to share which were tasty and came with nice little pots of guacamole, soured cream and salsa. The two youngsters in the party had cocktails. We always feel cocktails are over-priced and my Daughter's was certainly a bit small for £5 but her boyfriend's Mojito looked good and they both thought they were great.
For main course I had the Carne Asada which was delicious, very different from anything I had had before and packed with tender strips of steak, it came with rice and re-fried beans. Both Daughter and Husband had the Carnitas, a slow roasted pork dish which came with tortillas, rice and re-fried beans while boyfriend had the Mole Rojas (considered to be Mexico's National Dish you know!) which was again good. The portions were ample and we really didn't need anything to follow but when we read the description of churritos with hot chocolate sauce we had to have one to share. They were divine! I am so fed up with restaurants serving frozen ready made desserts for £6 and these were freshly made and deliciously different. Yum - try them!
We highly recommend this restaurant for good quality home made food.