“Great place, shame I couldn't sleep over the bass from the bar below!”
Review of Cargo

Cargo
Ranked #14 of 43 Southampton B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 2, 2010

As per other reviews, lovely hotel with good rooms & very attentive staff but Cargo is also a lively bar & restaurant with loud music until the early hours at weekends and drunk people staggering to the toilets via a corridor near the rooms. If you plan to be out late into the night then this is a great place to stay but I would def avoid if you are on business or would like a quiet/early night. The rooms have no air-con but have large windows to let in fresh air. This is obviously not a suitable suggestion however when there is so much noise coming from outside.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank OxfordshireNatnat
There are newer reviews for Cargo

Reviewed June 24, 2010

our first romantic trip away - and it was fantastic ! - our room was just lovely and the food was brilliant ! would go back again and again.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 6, 2010

This review focuses on the looks/comfort of the room, but that's mostly what you're paying for, right?

I came down to Southampton primarily to do some photoshoots with local models. I was initially planning on getting a cheap Premier Inn-type room to save money, but when I found out about Cargo through TripAdvisor, was won over by the beautiful rooms (other than my models, it's what makes/breaks the photoshoot), so £80 for a gorgeous room and bathroom, or £50 for a small//boring room....not a tough decision!

I phoned in advance, and the staff were very helpful in describing each of the rooms, their layout/size/features etc, and advised me on which would be best. They even said I could possibly use spare rooms during the day, however on the day, they said they were all due to be used later, or being cleaned. Fair enough, but very kind of them to offer!

On arrival, they showed me the available rooms for my 2 night duration, room 4 was red and spacious, esp the bathroom, but I chose 9 for slightly different colours/layout. Plenty of space around the sizeable (and VERY comfortable) bed. The sheets and pillows are top quality. Lovely finish to everything, pretty desk and comfortable velvet chair at it, spare leather armchair, pretty wardrobe, bedside tables and the wooden bed headboard. Freeview TV screen on the wall, kettle and full coffee/tea facilities, free bottled water, hair dryer, all present. The bathroom was even better - very pretty beige marbled tiles, with brown in the large shower (it even has a deep ledge/seat, the staff said it was popular with the ladies, apparently). The shower was great in use. All bright, clean, high quality.

All the models agreed the room was gorgeous, lots of "wows" on entering the bathroom, and the photos are beautiful as a result.

I didn't eat in the bar/restaurant (the menu didn't take my fancy), but it's very trendy and stylish, somewhere I'd hang out if I lived in Southampton.

As a hotel, I'd definitely recommend it as top choice in Southampton, staff were all very helpful and friendly, rooms clean, large, comfortable and gorgeous :)

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed March 22, 2010

the title says it all, probably the best breakfast (in bed) I've ever had.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 26, 2010

This was our second stay at Cargo, the first being in December 2009. We've twice stayed over for nights out in Southampton, as I now live out of town, and will return next time we are in town. I would agree that it's ideal for if you're going out and coming back late, as there's a 24 hour entrance for when the bar's shut, the beds are very comfortable, and the breakfast and checkout are relaxed (breakfast til 10.30 and checkout at 12). I can see that if you were hoping for an early night, it might be a bit noisy (not been a problem for us), but it is over a bar so I think that's to be expected.

The rooms are very well appointed, lovely comfy beds and linen, and immaculate and stylish bathrooms with great showers. Our first room (December) was large with a bay window, and really lovely. This time I'd got a cheaper room and you could tell - still immaculate, but quite cramped (11, up in the loft) and there was a really annoying green fire exit light that lit up the room. We did raise this with the manager and he explained he is trying to get these changed (fire regulations as I understand). We didn't have that problem in our December room, as there was a separate hallway. It wouldn't stop me staying there again, though I might go for the slightly more expensive room.

The breakfast can't be faulted - I read one reviewer who commented on a lengthy wait; from my experience, if you talk to the very friendly staff, they would no doubt try and speed things up for you. The service is excellent and they go out of their way to be helpful, friendly and ensure that you feel comfortable in the place.

It's also in a great location for going out, some of the nicest bars and restaurants in Southampton are on the doorstep, Ocean Village just down the road, and close enough for shopping in town.

In summary, you could pay a lot more and get a lot less.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 31, 2010

Spent a Saturday night here and the room was very smart; very sophisticated and the type of hotel that equates to a smart London boutique-type place. Spent the night in "The Loft" - very smart and sleeping under the stars (velux windows where you can see the sky!!). Clean bathroom and shower..... Very good breakfast (try the Cargo breakfast - very clean cooked breakfast and non-greasy - served with coffee and a paper - great). Really friendly, helpful staff and very welcoming. Would definately go back again - without doubt. The only negative and it was a small one - there was a constant "humming" coming from the light switch - hey, I should have worn earplugs!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 29, 2009

Myself and my girlfirend stayed at this hotel for one night(sat). The staff were very welcoming and happy to tend to our every need. We were warned of the noise so that didnt really bother us. That was until the people in the room next to us decided to have what sounded like a party outside our door. Also our room and theres was just separated by a blocked up door so there was no sound proofing whatsoever. You cant of course blame the hotel for the noise but one thing you can blame them for is the fire exit policy. The fact that every room in our room was lit up by a bright green led and we had no way of turning it off. This caused us no end of hassle as we are both light sleepers. Also 3 of the 4 light switches didnt work so we dont know if one of these was meant for this light. So this kinda ruined our night away which is a shame as it all seemed to so promising to being with.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple