Cargo
Grand Harbour Hotel(Southampton)
  • Pool
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
All reviewsloft roomoxford streetbars and restaurantslively bareggs florentineocean terminalthe room was nicesmall hotelshower headcomfy bedvery pleasant staymin walkshort stayfull englishcruise terminalbreakfast was excellentcar parking
Reviewed May 1, 2011

After not being able to get into the White Star I decided to reserve a room at Cargo.

There are many parallels between Cargo and the White Star - similar concept and offering, similar layout and room sizes, plus both venues transition from being a restaurant into more of a drinking establishment as the night progresses.

I think that overall Cargo has the edge over the White Star. This is primarily down to the excellent customer service. My check-in was handled promptly and I was shown to my room and made to feel very welcome by a member of the bar staff. We ate in the bar and had several rounds of drinks - all excellent value and delivered by attentive staff.

Breakfast the following morning was a delight and good value compared to the White Star. Check-out was seamless and the staff seemed interested in whether we had enjoyed our time at Cargo.

So top marks to Cargo. I will definitely be staying here again.

• Stayed: April 2011
Reviewed April 23, 2011

Didn't stay in the hotel but had a drink and moved on pretty quick cos we got a pimms and a beer and it came to £12.80.
I don't mind paying a bit more cos of the location and it's a hotel but I think £6+ for a drink is a bit steep.

• Stayed: April 2011
2  Thank Saintscott
Reviewed March 30, 2011

We stayed here for one night and received a lovely warm welcome from Dee and Stuart. Despite arriving late, the chef stayed and cooked a delicious meal for us. We stayed in the loft which was impeccably clean and the 3 children had loads of space in the sofa bed. Our bed was really comfy too with lovely crisp sheets. Would highly recommend Cargo and look forward to staying here again soon. Thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed January 16, 2011

We have stayed at Cargo before. The rooms have always been really nice but we have only stayed on first floor rooms 1-5.. On latest rip we noticed a real "step up" in service... From check in to breakfast and check out we were looked after brilliantly. Free high speed wireless internet much appreciated!!! (take note Jury's!!) If we had to look really hard for a negative... the £3 charge for a cooked breakfast (which we did have and was fantastic) rather than continental seems a little un-necessary.. Overall we give it 5 out of 5 and will be back soon !!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 1, 2010

I was looking for a city centre hotel this trip as I was travelling with a colleague & was meeting a client in the city - this normally presents problems for me as this generally means the hotels are "beige", boring, generic, insulting with awful staff & extremely overpriced (take note Premier Hotel, Travelodge, Durys Inn, Novahotel, Ibis etc etc). I took a chance on Cargo as the reviews did seem to be good - I'm so glad I did, it was brilliant! I think its only recently been converted into a hotel so they are just getting going. I managed to park outside which meant it was free between 6-8 so no probs there (there are lots of car parks nearby) I was shown upto my room & it was lovely - big room & bed, well appointed & a beautiful bathroom with a huge shower. Hotel is perfectly located too - especially if you were having a "girly" weekend away - Oxford St is fab for lovely restaurants & bars & all within a 2 min walk so very safe. I hear its the where all the footballers drink too (if you're into that sort of thing which I'm not) but dont let that put you off - the Grapes down the road is apparently where the Captain of the Titanic had his last drink before setting sail so there's all sorts of memorabilia in there & no loud music. Lovely breakfast in the hotel in the morning - I really cant fault Cargo - I really great hotel, good value for money, good breakfast & a perfect city centre location. Will definately be staying again.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business