“Delicious oriental food”

Old Town Malaysian and Sushi Takeaway
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Takeout
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Takeout
Reviewed June 25, 2014

I was on a weekend break in Southampton and stop here for lunch. The food is lovely and it won't stretch your purse. The place is not very smart, just a basic takeaway with couple of tables
But it is worth visiting
The food very authentic

1  Thank Stephen P
There are newer reviews for Old Town Malaysian and Sushi Takeaway

Reviewed June 19, 2014

First impressions for this place are never going to be great, it's essentially a kitchen area with a very small shop at the front. It looks tatty and unappealing but perhaps that's for the best as it feels like a bit of a well-kept secret. I'd heard good things through word-of-mouth and decided to get some takeaway on the way home from an event in town.
The sushi was lovely and so pleasing to see it made by hand in front of you as you wait. I had satay chicken which was really, really tasty and was well priced for the portion size and I also had some gyoza which suffered slightly being taken home on the bus and sweating away for 30 minutes but were still perfectly edible.
It can be a slightly terrifying experience as the chef doesn't really like to muck around but if you decide what you want, order clearly and don't mind waiting whilst it is freshly prepared then you're okay. I took a delivery menu with me when I went and I'll certainly be giving that a try when hunger pangs hit.

2  Thank Adam S
Reviewed May 21, 2014

If you're looking for sushi that's not bland and generic like the supermarket's version then give Old Town a go. The chefs are quiet but I put that down to just personality and focus on the work. The chef who makes the sushi is marvellous to watch. I had duck rolls and they were delicious, made fresh right there using proper crispy duck, not supermarket duck mush. The appearance of the shop is no worse than a normal takeaway, and the food more than makes up for it. Enjoyed it so much I'll be going back quite a bit.

1  Thank Louise E
Reviewed May 13, 2014

Came in with friends to order a take-away, food was decent, but who I take is the manager clearly doesn't have nice manners. My friend was only asking few questions about the food while he couldn't be bothered to answer. Moreover, how can they sell very small packets of soya sauce while it should be included with spring rolls and other Asian dishes? We won't be back.

Reviewed May 1, 2014

I'll be the first to admit I took some persuasion to eat here. It's not very impressive, and to be honest looks like someone has converted a dodgy kebab shop. Please look past all that because they make, without doubt or exaggeration, the best Sushi I've ever tasted! It truly is amazing, and worth every penny.

1  Thank Ben D