“Brilliant sushi”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Takeout
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Brilliant sushi”
Reviewed February 28, 2014 via mobile

Popped in for lunch last week and ordered the chefs combo along with a satay lunchbox. Absolutely brilliant. Great sushi aswell as satay lunchbox which is huge in size for the money you pay. Prepared very fast and eaten just as quick. Old town kitchen may not look too appealing from the outside but don't let this put you off, best place in Southampton for sushi.

Visited February 2014

“Best sushi”
Reviewed February 26, 2014

Some of the best sushi I have ever had. After a recent menu change, a lot of the hot main dishes have been scrapped in favour of a more varied sushi selection. I originally thought this would be a mistake, but after ordering regularly over the last few months and being told that more and more dishes were unavailable, it was refreshing to see the updated menu on the website, which you can order from directly.
The sushi is the freshest I've ever tried, we have to stop ourselves from ordering every single week. The prices are probably a little steep for an average takeaway, as sushi isn't quite as filling as normal main meals, however I would have to say the price absolutely reflects in the taste, so we are more than willing to pay this. We would normally order around £25-30 for 2 people. The rice and noodle dishes especially go a long way and we always have leftovers. Recommendations are: gyoza (Japanese dumplings), nasi goreng, crispy squid sashimi and Old Town tori katsu roll!

“Breathtaking..”
Reviewed February 15, 2014

My girlfriend and I decided to order from here on Saturday. We ordered the 30£ set meal and we were more than impressed. The sushi ingredients were so fresh and made to absolute perfection. The chicken satay also tasted fresh and the peanut sauce was amazing.

Easily the best sushi I have ever tasted in my life, if not the best meal I have ever had .

5 stars

“Stunning authentic food”
Reviewed February 8, 2014

Come here for the food, not the decor. We've never had takeaway from here, only eaten in (about 6 times) and the food has been stunning each time. We've eaten all over the world, in 'fine dining' restaurants and street stalls, and the food here is just superb. Lovingly prepared, with the freshest ingredients. We absolutely love the salmon sashimi - so fresh. The soft shelled crab nigri is divine too. And the chicken satay is gorgeous. Also the gyoza (dumplings) and unagi (eel) nigri.

The upstairs area has 3 tables, plastic cutlery, and a sticky carpet, but is clean enough! Don't expect much from the 'restaurant' area, and come here for the lovely, fresh, authentic food. We came with our young kids too (who love Japanese food) and they were made very welcome. It's not mega cheap, but the ingredients are excellent. We paid £60 for all 4 of us, with drinks.

Croydon, United Kingdom
“Missing Oldtown”
Reviewed December 6, 2013 via mobile

Moved away from Southampton in September of this year.
I have to write something on here about Oldtown as I went there as often as I could whilst living for 3 years close by to the central train station.

Firstly I'll have to agree with the last Post, Billy has the phone etiquette of a late night London cab firm, and as most regulars know, he's far to tight to employ someone to do this for him. But, the man does work extraordinary hours and delivers good food a very high percentage of the time.

The sushi is the pull, larger individual sizes than zen or yo sushi. Cheaper than both, and as it's made in front of you as fresh if not more than zen, defiantly yo sushi.

Basic sushi format in regards to the options and seasonal menu changes that could be made but locally sourced and reliable suppliers offer consistent fresh fish to old town.

The hot side of the business is not up to the sushi but fresh ingredients are used throughout most of the dishes. This can be seen in the sauces as they have a fresh aromatic taste with no traces of oils/separation or reheating.

Best things about old town are the speed in which you are served and receive your order, the location as it's off the main high street it's never really to busy. The menu, as I said earlier if you visit as often as I did you long for a new dish or menu revamp but as a new customer there's plenty to start off with. The friendliness of the team there, once you revisit or even become regular your face and favourite dishes are soon remembered. The side dishes are great, gyoza and the satay chicken for example. The sushi, wonderfully addictive and so we'll crafted, from the rice recipe through to the sauces added( spicy salmon maki being my girlfriends all time favourite) .

Downers are as people stated, the delivery side of the business needs addressing, cleaner interior (and we know you can afford it billy I've seen you in your Mercedes Benz) including new furniture upstairs with better decor. New uniforms.... Not much else.

Miss eating at Oldtown, if you have just moved to Southampton or haven't heard of it before hope this helps you.

Visited September 2013