“Twice in one week was not enough!”
Review of Piccolo Mondo

Piccolo Mondo
Ranked #28 of 854 Restaurants in Southampton
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Description: One of the area's most friendly, and welcoming Italian restaurants, Piccolo Mondo 1 is the oldest in the city, having been established since 1969.Piccolo Mondo is open for lunch and evening meals. With seating for only 34 people, it is small enough to have an intimate atmosphere, but also welcomes families.There is a good choice of value for money meals including authentic pizzas and pastas, together with a selection of fish, meat and vegetarian dishes, and not forgetting their home-made bread and desserts. Smaller sized meals are available for children. Parties of up to 25 people can be catered for
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Twice in one week was not enough!”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

When my friends suggested we go here for lunch I had never heard of it or seen it before but as soon as I stepped inside I fell in love. The food was amazing, in fact I had forgotten how good pasta should be, and was gutted I could not finish my meal (very generous portions and very reasonably priced). The service and food were so good I went back the same week with my husband and very unadventurously had the exact same meal because I couldn't believe it was as amazing as I remembered...it was. So now I have to go back and try the pizza!

London, United Kingdom
“Italian food prepared with love and served with pride”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

On a day trip from London to visit friends I was taken by them to Piccolo Mondo for lunch. This is one of their all time favourite eateries and they've been regulars themselves for years. I can see why. This is unpretentious, hearty food made with excellent ingredients by people who know exactly what they are doing. Ambience warm and welcoming. Plain wooden tables and chairs, no soft furnishings or unnecessary frills and fripperies. We shared a selection of starters - big fat olives, salad tricolore generously dressed with balsamic and intensely flavoured olive oil, home made focachia with rosemary - crispy on the outside, dense and chewy inside and laced again with wonderful aromatic olive oil. I had Penne tonno: flakes of tuna in a delicious and deeply flavoured tomato sauce. My friends had tagliatelli Putanesqua - piquante and 'tart' (and with the same rich tomato sauce). Pasta perfectly al dente - as you'd expect! - and served with generous amounts of parmesan. My friends were unable to finish their ample portions (smaller appetites than me!) but the waitress was totally unfazed by their request to take away what they couldn't manage and boxed it up for them. Service was prompt, unfussy, warm and friendly. Fairly busy at lunchtime (including obviously regular customers from nearby offices), but we were easily seated without having made a booking. Might be busier in the evening - I'd certainly book to be sure. Over-all, I cannot recommend highly enough. Looking forward to my next visit.

London
“Still the best”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Piccolo Mondo is the best restaurant in Southampton, whilst we a lucky to have some great restauarants in the New Forest (Lime Wood, Terra Vina) there arent any in Southampton and this small italian has been quietly serving some of the best pizza you will ever taste for years and years. For foodies, families or dinner dates, the people are lovely and the food is exceptional.

Salisbury, United Kingdom
“Amazing and authentic Italian food and hospitality”
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Amazing food and great hospitality. The portions are generous and it is great value as well as being extremely tasty! We go as often and highly recommend it.

• Visited July 2013
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Stand'a back,Stand'a back it's a ready”
Reviewed July 17, 2013

The best restaurant in Southampton, I have eaten in a few restaurants around the world and no restaurants make a Calzone pizza like Piccolo Mondo's. Mmmmmmmmmmm

• Visited July 2013