“Comfortable stay with excellent service”

and 1 more site!
Alcantara Guest House
Ranked #7 of 43 Southampton B&B and Inns
Waterloo, Canada
“Comfortable stay with excellent service”
Reviewed October 21, 2010

The staff were very friendly and throughout my whole stay and were quite helpful, offering suggestions for things to do and how to get places. I started out in a single room at the front of the building, which was small but not tiny, and fine unless you were planning on spending all day in the room. I was later moved to a double room with ensuite, which was quite spacious.

I slept well each night and didn't notice any problems with noise, provided the window was shut. The rooms were clean and had a tray of tea, coffee and biscuits that was restocked every day. The breakfast in the morning was very filling with plenty of options, so I usually just had a very light lunch.

I was visiting the University of Southampton for 3 weeks and stayed here. When I called to make my booking I had mentioned this, and when I arrived the owner gave me a copy of the campus map and directions on how to get there. Although there were busses, I decided to walk to the campus, which was about a 25 - 30 min walk at a leisurely pace, through the common. The walk to the train station or the city centre was a little shorter.

The only problem I had with the room was the wifi signal was very weak in my room, and the internet connection stopped working late at night a few times.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 19, 2010

I stayed at the Alcantara for 3 nights each week over a 6 month period while i was working in Southampton.

The owner A.J and the other staff are very friendly and helpful. Even when fully booked during busy periods like Boat Show week A.J. organised alternative accommodation for me next door and let me come back to the Alcantara for breakfast!
The breakfast is excellent, with good coffee and fresh fruit salad and the cooked breakfast is very tasty with quality ingredients.

The rooms are a good size and have nice en-suite bathrooms and are very clean. There is free wireless broadband and plenty of parking.

Everything is done really well here and you are made to feel at home. I will definitely be back should I be working in Southampton again!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
London
Reviewed May 25, 2010

I have stayed in several hotels in Southampton, and the Alcantara is the best value for money. The rooms are cosy and clean, and the hotel is very close to the city centre. The home cooked breakfast is fabulous and the owner is very friendly and helpful. I will definitely stay there again in the future.

1 Thank JacquesLondon
London
Reviewed May 25, 2010

The Alcantara Guesthouse is a home away from home for me on the days I need to spend in Southampton, away from my London home, in order to teach part-time at Southampton Uni. Situated in the leafy suburb of Shirley, near the university and not far from the city centre, Alcantara has everything a business traveller needs: clean, cosy rooms, friendly staff, plentiful, home-cooked breakfast and utterly reasonable prices. You can book online or by phone, and the staff will instantly remember your name and special needs. If you forget to bring any basic toiletries, there is a small stock available to replace them. If you have special diatery requirements, they will be catered for. And if you want to learn about the warm heart of Southampton without staying there for a long time, then this is definitely a place to start.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank galsandan
Yorkshire
Reviewed May 9, 2010

I stayed at Alcantara on the 'weekend special' of £100 for two nights which was superb value. We were greeted on arrival and shown to our spacious, spotlessly clean and well equipped en suite room. The guest house was quiet and relaxed and the breakfast each morning was cooked to order and was delicious! If I'm in the Southampton area again I will be returning here!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bananachops
Berkshire
Reviewed May 8, 2010

I recently had to stay in Southampton for two nights whilst on business. I did the normal thing surfed the net taking my budget into account and plumped for Alcantara Guest House hoping that I wouldn't be disappointed.

I had no need to worry as Alcantara turned out to be a real gem from the moment I arrived. I was warmly greeted by one of the owners and shown to my comfortable ensuite room. Everything was well explained to me and I felt immediately relaxed. The following morning I was delighted by the wide choice of breakfast dishes including fresh fruit salad, and poached haddock topped with an egg . I was totally spoilt for choice. I stuck however with "the full english" and therefore can highly recommend the sausages and black pudding!

Aj the owner explained how best for me to get to my business destination and also recommended places for me to eat locally that night.

If looking to stay near the centre of Southampton I would highly recommend staying at this guest house.

1 Thank Patricia100Berkshire
Bucks
Reviewed May 6, 2010

I stayed at the Alcantara a few times over a period of several months and A.J, the owner, was always extremely friendly and welcoming. The rooms are large and comfortable and were always spotlessly clean. Although not a big breakfast fan, I found myself enjoying the real coffee and fresh fruit that was always available & the cooked breakfasts that other guests had looked good too. The Alcantara is in a central position with lots of parking, not far from restaurants & shops or from the motorways & so is easy to get to. There is also free wifi. I would wholeheartedly recommend this B&B to anyone who needs to stay in Southampton. S. Robb

1 Thank SRobb