The Winston Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Southampton M27 Jct 7(Southampton)(Great Value!)
$76
$63
$90
$75
HolidayInn.com
  • Pool
Highfield House Hotel(Southampton)(Great Value!)
$54
Travelocity
$78
PremierInn.com
  • Restaurant
Premier Inn Southampton City Centre Hotel(Southampton)(Great Value!)
$64
PremierInn.com
  • Restaurant
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed November 7, 2012

I did not expect this hotel to be this poor. It had parking which was a bonus but after that things went down hill. There was no reception and in order to check I you should go to the bar in the pub. The day I arrived they were having pub quiz night and it was quite busy. The staff were probably fed up by the time I arrived and it showed and felt like it. I was then shown to my room which was a best ugly but at least it had an on suite. It was a single bed with an average mattress. It had a TV with free view and the hotel had free wifi. The carpet was incredibly ugly but was clean. The price was cheap and Since was only there for one night I didn't care so much.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank SalM77
Reviewed September 29, 2012

The first room I was shown into stank of cigarette smoke, and the very sweet girl immediately apologised and showed me into another room. If you yearn for the ancient days of rail travel then the very narrow room may appeal. Two or three trips downstairs eventually got me what I needed (a working remote control and a bedside light! - apparently there was a shortage!). Don't be afraid to rearrange the furniture, two single beds at very odd angles. The small flatscreen was on a VERY high shelf for unknown reasons. The minuscule shower and look cubicle smelt a bit but a good airing sorted that. Having said that, it was just about ok if you are not expecting much. It is just a pub with rooms, very basic. I ate in the 'sports bar' - tatty pub with TV, rather an acrid chicken Caesar salad. Missed breakfast, but was refunded quickly and easily. Just don't expect much and you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 26, 2012

We paid £80 for a double non en suite room that excluded breakfast.
The room was tiny; a double bed with about 18" of space at each side. There were no towel rails or anywhere to hang anything other than a few coat hangers in the wardrobe (inbuilt). The carpet was threadbare and was not fitted, leaving gaps between the carpet and skirting. There was no sink in the room either.
The 'bathroom' was a public toilet with the smallest shower cubicle in the corner. I have no idea how many people had to share this, but it was the only bathroom I could find and it was heavily used, and filthy as a result. There was no toilet separate so if you needed the loo and someone was in the shower you were stuck. The windows were mildewy, the sink was so small it was useless, and access was restricted due to an industrial type soap dispenser overhanging it. There was no sanitary provision (used tampons in an open waste bin!)
A poor quality breakfast cost us an additional £12 for 2 of us.

1  Thank m13art
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Well, after my other half booking the Boat show as a surprise for my birthday (we are 6 Hours plus away from Southampton...) we soon realised a lot of the hotels had been booked for months and were full. The Winston was one of the few places with space available (and the closest) now i understand why!

We arrived about 2pm on the Friday to a relativly quiet pub... with no one around and no signs of where to check in! After 5 mins or so a lady showed up behind the bar and 'checked us is' and said that we in the 'Lodge'. At this point i thought hmm.. lodge! What a nice surprise for my birthday from the pub!!

The lady walked us through a smoke filled open sided tent (i dont smoke so i wasnt happy having to walk through this everytime to go to the car or get food etc!) round the a redundant looking building (tired looking house with badly converted to rooms) at the back of the pub. The lodge was just room 'L' to which the lady said, 'i wont show you round as its pretty cramped in there, if you need anything come over and let us know'.

The room really was TINY and VERY VERY cold. The toilet is a small dark room within the bed room, with no insulation and smelt like damp in there along with paint peeling off the walls that hadnt been repainted!. The Shower was a small shower 'room' opposite the bed which was hard to call a double (im 5ft 2 and i could reach the end of it!) This bed actually gave me and my partner pretty bad back ache and springs could be felt! Not nice :(

We did find that we had the boiler though (above the toilet and made some very strange noises throughout the night...!) so we soon turned it up so we could have a shower. TV Tiny (maybe 12" ??) and naff reception, wasnt worth watching at all.

The Shower was a poor excuse of a shower as it let more water through the hose dripping down than what came out the head! Odd bits of mould in mastic but clean enough. Just big enough to wash hair without whacking your elbows on either wall with Plastic double fold door in to it. Poorly fitted with gaps around the top of it (which as they fitted a vent in there shouldnt be required to let excess steam out in to room!)

The windows were single glazed and there was a large air vent above the window so all the power the radiator gave out zapped away through these two!

The sink is a tiny sink in the corner of the room and struggled to wash your hands properly or your face etc, but we made do.

We had tea in the 'hotel' the first night, the chef was very pleasent, i had a Veg lasagne and my partner had Chilli con carne. Both were not too bad and well priced.

The Friday night we were quite tired so slept through road noise, and the odd other customers staying around us.

Saturday we spent all day out, to which we came back to the bed remade and the towels folded for us - not really needed as we always leave the place tidy when we go out and there wasnt anything else they could do in the room!

Saturday night we went out for a meal to a local italian after booking a taxi and came back around 11pm. There were lots of people in the pub but we are always concious about disturbing others so was very quiet opening our door and making sure not to let it bang. However this wasnt the case for others in the building - men being very loud, singing and slamming doors untill about 3am! oh joy. at 6.50am the cleaners (by the way the cleaners room is right next to the L room!) came in to the room next to us and started talking away, very loudly! Which was really annoying! at 7.20am the Washing machine in the room next to us went on a mad spin cycle and felt like forever before it stopped again at which point me and my partner decided to get up and go for breakfast.

Breakfast is either Fried Breaky, Toast (if you ask for it) or 3 diff cereals with tea, pre made coffee and OJ. Breaky - did the job but wasnt great.

Couldnt complain to any staff members on the Sunday morning about the cleaners or noise etc - as there was only a chef in the place that was around doing breaky! We drove home on Sunday to North yorkshire absolutly knakared from a terrible couple of nights sleep.

I honestly dont think i would ever go to this place again as it ruined a birthday treat. At £160 for 2 nights its expensive for a PUB with the words HOTEL on it!! Nor would i reccommend anyone else - at a normal price (circa £50 i think) and certainly not at an overpriced price for the boat show!

PS the pub is now cream with burgandy bits - not White and Green as on the Pics!!
PPs people park like nutters in the car park so try park near the edges if possible... less chance of your car being hit!

Room Tip: Dont stay here - doubt in the 'Hotel' will be any better than the badly converted house at rear which requires a lot of TLC
2  Thank rryder87
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Tiny room (room L). En-suite but NO seperate bathroom , just toilet, small sink in corner, shower cubicle next to bed! Double bed against wall so difficult to get in and out! Overpriced - £85 without breakfast. Breakfast only served between 7 and 8 a.m. The mini-TV didn't work. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone!

Room Tip: Do not choose room L.
3  Thank Mary_Chelmsford