Tripadvisor
Southampton

“Oh deary, deary me!”

Walnut Tree Farm, Dining & Carvery
Ranked #11 of 130 Quick Bites in Southampton
Description: A great place to take the whole family, this Farmhouse Inn is friendly, welcoming and warm. You’ll be spoilt for choice when you look at The Walnut Tree Farm menus. Take your pick from hearty breakfasts, pub classics or a traditional carvery. Make sure you try our delicious homemade cakes too, all freshly baked in our restaurant. We also have our wide selection of ice creams for you to enjoy.
Reviewed January 21, 2020 via mobile

Invited to a surprise birthday party - with a number of children part of the group.

As I'd never dined at this restaurant before, I was keen to see what the Walnut Tree Farm had to offer.

The children seemed to love the designated play area, which was I'm afraid the only positive experience during our visit.

My husband, son and I all opted for a mid week roast. Big mistake! I suspect that much of the veg had been standing under heat lamps for some time, as despite stirring each dish as I reached it, all veg was dry. The beef had sold out, so the choice of meat was turkey or gammon The gravy was so thick that I wondered if I'd have to cut it with a knife! The stuffing was limp, grey and lifeless, the roast potatoes soggy and lacking any sign of crunch or crispness, the Yorkshire pudding a dry nugget!

I realise that this isn't pitched as a high end establishment, and is aimed more at the family market, but there was absolutely nothing to make me return. In truth, I would far rather take my grandchildren into a Weatherspoons.

Sorry Farmhouse Inns, but these standards simply aren't good enough.

Date of visit: January 2020
Greene_K1ng, Owner at Walnut Tree Farm, Dining & Carvery, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hello Paula, first off I’d like to take a moment to apologise for what looks like quite a bad experience with us, we pride our selfs in having great carvery, this was clearly not what you felt was provided on your visit.
I assure you that we strive to provide the best food and beverage to all our customers and to have each and every person that visits us, leave fed and happy. I’m sorry you didn’t feel that way. On the note, please don’t let experience tarnish your view on us, and give us a second chance to show you the true standard of Farmhouse Inns.
Hope you have a great day, and see you soon!

Write a reviewReviews (1,024)

Reviewed January 21, 2020

Came here every day for two weeks and found the staff very friendly. Rui (the guy with the pony tail) was particularly welcoming. Thankyou

Date of visit: January 2020

Thanks for your positive review and you kind words! We're happy to hear you had such a positive experience with us!Ill pass on your words to Rui as well, see you soon!

Reviewed January 21, 2020

We always stop here when visiting family. Staff are all super friendly running around keeping everyone happy, a food lovers paradise there is a carvery and a menu to choose from and cakes are massive. was served by Roy last time I was here and he organised a big table for our family gathering, thanks we will definitely be back.

Date of visit: January 2020

Hi Davidbst22, we are very happy to have provided you with such a positive experience, thank you for your kind words and this wonderful review! See you soon.

Reviewed January 20, 2020

I have just had a breakfast at the Walnut tree and found me very disappointed For how much you pay £16 for One adult one child breakfast the Bacon un cook I will deafly not will be coming back here as i found it rubbish as the last time we when out for breakfast was at the haywain and was so much better and you had more of a Choice and the staff is nice and friendly at the haywain Unlike at the walnut tree I recommend everyone done come here and go elsewhere like the haywain as it’s A friendly pub

Date of visit: January 2020

Kev M, we work hard to provide a fantastic experience to everyone. So it's really disappointing to see that we clearly missed the mark this time. Your feedback helps us improve, so thank you for taking the time to let us know how we did. Hope you have a great day.

Reviewed January 19, 2020

I’d never heard of this place until my sister recommended to go for my mums birthday. It’s a great place to go, very spacious! There’s a separate area for families with children. The portion size of the food is amazing. You get great value for money and there’s so much food to choose from. Staff are friendly and willing to help. The restaurant has its own car park, so is very handy! I’d definitely recommend this place to anyone!

Spot on, all in all!

Date of visit: March 2019

Thanks for the five star rating! It’s so encouraging to read you review! See you soon.