“A tremendous meal”

Ranked #232 of 870 Restaurants in Southampton
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed January 12, 2014

Before venturing off to the football, I was invited by a few friends to go to Pizza Express to enjoy a nice meal. We were greeted by one of the waiters and promptly taken to our seats where we ordered our drinks and then our food. I had the Garlic Bread with melted Mozzarella as a starter that wasn't too rich, or too copious which made it ideal to have as a precursor. I then followed that up with a Fiorentina Rustica (thin, crusty but larger base) Pizza which consisted of spinach, fried free-range egg, olives, garlic oil and mozzarella as well as the usual tomato paste and it was sublime! One of the best pizzas I've ever had in my life in fact. I then took the cheesecake as a dessert which was accompanied by a raspberry coulis and a nice dollop of ice-cream. Personally the meal in total cost around £26 for my meal and two cokes, which is very reasonable for the food we got in return. Overall, one of the best meals I've ever had.

There are newer reviews for Pizza Express

Reviewed January 12, 2014

Visited yesterday after the football, only because Kuti's doesn't open to six. Seated quickly and served quickly. As we were not ready to order they went away and then forgot about us! When we got the attention of a manager/ supervisor we were served by a waitress who was more concerned about having a chat! We ordered garlic bread to start which was neither bread or nice, not offered an (extra plate) the chatty waitress cleared our plate quickly and said are you ready for you pizza which we thought was an indication that it was ready however it didn't come out which was odd. The pizza was okay however I think they went over the top on tomato sauce. Will go again as convenient and good value with a voucher but don't expect much.

Reviewed January 11, 2014

In comparison to London Pizza Express restaurants that I have got used to, this is not good.

Pizzas are much smaller in comparison and the service is poor to say the least.

Food is fine but you can make yourself a far nicer pizza or order a Dominos for the same price.

Also utilises a very lazy reservations service which is done automatically on the phone and then by text. Efficient at least.

Reviewed January 3, 2014

We have visited this restaurant several times and the food has always been good. This time there were additional new dishes on the menu which were a nice change.

However, sometimes the staff lets the restaurant down for example, not taking drinks orders, squashing people on to table which were set for less people, missing cutlery etc.

However, overall this is a good pizza restaurant for a casual family meal.

Reviewed December 12, 2013

I visited this restaurant once and my opinion is that the pizza is tasty, but prices are a bit high, maybe because of the location. I ordered a thin pizza that came with very little toppings. I would prefer it with more cheese maybe, so for me is just medium.