“Sweet 16 celebration”

Kitsch'n d'Or
Cuisines: French
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Independant Family Run Establishment Offering Classic Rural French And European Cuisine
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Sweet 16 celebration”
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Well worth a booking for any occasion. We had the most wonderful time last evening, celebrating with our daughter on on 16th birthday. We had three generatios of the family all dining together at this really lovely resturant. The Friday evening three piece Jazz band added a great musical atmosphere which I particularly liked and was much appreciated by the other diners too.

The waiting staff were young and very accomodating, not knowing the food enough to easily explain the menu which was a down side. I think waiting staff should eat wha they serve to give a real insight in to the menu, answer questions about it but this is minor and easily rectified by the management. Know your products was paramount when I was chef training many moons ago.

We had the three course option and all ate well. Steaks, scallops, fish, cured meat were eagerly munched on. Finishing with deserts which I can certainly recommend the Fondant Chocolate. Lastly with a quick whisper to our waiter the band played "Happy Birthday" sang along by all and our birthday girl was presented with her cup cake birthday surprise which was made by a local cake maker. All in all, a very memorable night out. There were seven of us at £25 a head plus service charge, wine and beer. Please check out mid-week lunch menu, Saturday and Sunday lunch too for a very reasonably priced option.

• Visited July 2013

“Absolutely Fantastic!”
Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

Seriously good food. We visited this restaurant with a group of friends from the local area. The atmosphere was very nice. The service was good, the escargot was just right, and the steak was cooked to perfection. Add a little French wine, a chocolate torte, and voila... An incredible dinner!

• Visited June 2013
Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
“Exceptional”
Reviewed June 13, 2013

We are regulars here, so can vouch for the consistency of the high quality of food and service. In fact it just seems to get better. We popped in on a very busy lunch time and still the standard was very high. I would highly recommend this place, it is also the best value in Town.

• Visited June 2013
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Awful service and complete disregard for dietary requirements.”
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Despite the restaurant being empty apart from us (a group of 14) and a few couples we had to wait nearly 3 hours for our main course. The wait between the 1st and 2nd was 45mins. This was despite pre ordering. Then when at 1035 my dessert finally came I had sorbet due to a dairy intolerance I had cream on top of the sorbet where the same utensil to serve other desserts had been used. I left before my final course utterly disgusted, tired and hungry. I went there 4 years ago and had a similar experience, vowed I would never go back and this time I mean it.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Basil1buck
Hornchurch, United Kingdom
“Our second visit didn't disappoint”
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Despite a wedding and a birthday celebration going on in the restaurant (for which we received several apologies from the staff) we still enjoyed our evening here, the chef/owner ? came out to talk us through the specials board with an interesting story about the free-range egg omelette :-), his friends chickens (in France) managing to lay a bumper batch of eggs a couple of days before . Again the food did not disappoint although the menu had changed slightly since last year. 3 bottles of good wine and 3 courses between 4 people worked out at £45 a head.

• Visited May 2013