“A wasted journey....”

The Churchillian
Ranked #453 of 643 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: French, Bar, British
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Scenic view, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Serving good pub food until this September 2015 then we will be changing to an Anglo French cuisine in Sep 2015 with full on waiter service with fresh seafood dishes and gastro style pub food with a French flare. We have some of the best views over looking Portsmouth and a large outside patio area. Our new menu will have a Fish of the week and fresh steamed mussels (moules frite) served with a choice of sauces, duck confit, braised lamb shank and a 10oz rib-eye & a vegetarian tagine and great snacking dishes in our bar area these are just a few of our dishes to wet your appetite! For Lunch we serve our Plat du Jour for only £9.95 for two courses our chefs special and we have a variety of filled fresh baked baguettes and Jackets. We also have a functions room for hire for weddings, engagement parties, birthday parties, special occasions and wakes.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A wasted journey....”
Reviewed November 19, 2013

After being recommended to eat here, all I can say is that the whole experience was disappointing (like many of the other recent Tripadvisor reviews). As soon as I walked in, the staff seemed disinterested in serving any customer. The main course was ok, but I waited so long for my plate to be cleared (which didn't happen until I was leaving), that I gave up on ordering a dessert and left. The landlady seemed disinterested too. A completely wasted journey....I would recommend taking a packed lunch instead and eating it in the car looking at the amazing view!!

• Visited November 2013

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Lovely evening”
Reviewed November 16, 2013

This is the second meal we have had here in 3 weeks and both times we have found them very good, with very generous portions for each course and value for money.
The service was quick and the staff could not have been nicer or more helpful. The food was hot and nicely served. Great views of Portsmouth at night and a bonus of a Firework display that entertained my Granddaughter.
We have all come away with very full stomachs. I will definitely return again.

• Visited November 2013
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“GREAT VIEW”
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Great view... average, reilable food. Very dated decor and could do with a real makeover. Real selling point is the view.. I would not come here for that special occasion. Shame, because this place could be a real credit to the south coast. Long way off the mark in decor and imagination with the menu.

Visited September 2013
“Poor excuse for a restaurant”
Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

We came here for our aunties birthday and the only good thing about our visit was the company we was with. Where do I need to start I ordered the chilli potato skins which where ok I ordered the fish and chips the fish was tasteless and watery the chips where like cardboard on all the meals that where ordered. when I complained the staff all disappeared out the back where we where waiting for 10mins before they returned and then was offered a poor excuse for the poor quality of the food got a refund in the end will not be returning here again nor will my friends and family left hungry and felt ripped off so went to the local fish and chip shop better food and half the price

1 Thank Catherine_penny
porstmouth
“Poor food, will never go again.”
Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

Decided to go for my aunts birthday and wish we never bothered. It was quite so we thought the food would come out fresh. The chips were crap and tasted like they had been re-heated. The fish was tasteless and got sent back. All they could say was sorry, but they were not sorry they really didn't care.
We were told by friends not to go and should of listened. We will never go back again.
Views nice but food poor dont go!!!

1 Thank catherinePorstmouth