“Amazing View, VERY Popular but maybe only have a coffee or dessert”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Churchillian

The Churchillian
Ranked #453 of 643 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: French, Bar, British
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Scenic view, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Drinks, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Serving good pub food until this September 2015 then we will be changing to an Anglo French cuisine in Sep 2015 with full on waiter service with fresh seafood dishes and gastro style pub food with a French flare. We have some of the best views over looking Portsmouth and a large outside patio area. Our new menu will have a Fish of the week and fresh steamed mussels (moules frite) served with a choice of sauces, duck confit, braised lamb shank and a 10oz rib-eye & a vegetarian tagine and great snacking dishes in our bar area these are just a few of our dishes to wet your appetite! For Lunch we serve our Plat du Jour for only £9.95 for two courses our chefs special and we have a variety of filled fresh baked baguettes and Jackets. We also have a functions room for hire for weddings, engagement parties, birthday parties, special occasions and wakes.
Oxfordshire
“Amazing View, VERY Popular but maybe only have a coffee or dessert”
Reviewed March 26, 2013

I've popped in here a couple of times mid-week recently. First time they were so busy there was a 20 minute wait for a table and unfortunately my friends and I had to get back to a meeting, so we went instead to the Golden Lion at Southwick about 2 miles down the road which I can recommend (review will follow).

Today I took the wife as the views of the coast are amazing. On a clear day you can see for miles and I can understand why its so popular. If you're a biker like me (on weekends), or I guess a cyclist etc. then its certainly worth making it a destination for a rideout.

However I have to say the food Is a definite disappointment. The menu selection is good and the value is not bad at all, but the cooking was a bit poor and the best way to describe it is "outdated" ie as you would expect it to be cooked in a local pub or diner about 20 years ago, before culinary skills in Britain met TV chefs.

So the Beef and ale suet Pudding had great lumps of meat in it but it was a bit overdone as was the outside and there was about 2cm of overcooked dry suet on the base of the pudding along with pale, flacid broccoli and over cooked carrots. Same with the wifes ribs which were tasty but again "well" cooked. I questioned if was being unfair at the time but I have to say that if I cooked this as my first attempt at a suet pudding at home I'd still have been disappointed.

However enough on that, as the staff were very friendly and did their best for us (although a change from the scruffy T-shirt and tracky bottoms of the pleasant guy behind the bar could improve first impressions..says the thirty something year old lol!), and you get the feeling its run on a relatively tight budget and could do with a refurb. but these things can cost a lot and it seems to be making plenty of old age pensioners happy by the looks of it (I suggest booking if you want a table with a view, its that busy)

So my suggestion would be a visit for a coffee and a dessert, looking at the view and if you want good pub food maybe pop down to the Golden Lion at Southwark (who also do amazing local beers from the brewery shop next door).

1 Thank speed_demon666

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Didn't suit us.”
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Seems the Churchillian has always been there be but we have never stopped before. A pie and a pint is no longer what we wanted, a sandwich and coffee it was to be and, since the pubs all started serving food, the interesting cafes along the way have sadly vanished. There were few customers at the time and we found a table at the window; this is the only eatery up on the hill and the view is unbelievable, even to a local. The whole of Portsmouth harbour is spread out just like a map and it is easy to determine why this water has been a military harbour for about two thousand years. I recommend at least one session at this window for anyone unfamiliar with the area. The coffee came from one of those "any kind of coffee" machines which probably used some sort of milk substitute so ordered a black coffee with cold milk (turned out to be two pots of something that definitely wasn't called milk). A cheese and ham sandwich (not on the menu but I was hungry) was made with thick slices of bread which is always a good sign and it was fine. We were enjoying the view when a nearby table started being laid up for a party of about eight which presages noise in our experience and the party group was starting to collect at the bar. We settled up and left. The cheese and ham sandwich was charged as a cheese sandwich and a ham sandwich! We can recommend the view and the food served to us was excessive if that is to your taste but we have no need to visit for a proper meal. We even discussed returning when the weather improves but decided against as we have seen the crowds taking up the viewing places when the sun is shining. The bar was being serviced by a young man who was draped across the counter when we arrived but was polite and friendly when he took our order.

Cornwall
“Memories of days gone by....... Sadly no more”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Born in Portsmouth it's over 20 years since I entered The Churchillian so meeting with family we ventured back into our historic memories.
Oh well.....time moves on and waits for no man. It's changed......a lot!
The views....stunning as ever
The food.......wholesome and filling, pretty good value as well. I recommend the Beef and Horseradish baguette .
The decor ........ Missing!! Oh dear what this place would give for a good update in the old decoration department ........
The service....... Reminiscent of a city centre pub. Ummm.....basic!
As a quick 'watering hole' ok, you can grin and bear the atmosphere
But I would not take Auntie Flo here...... It's not the place to take an old lady for a sherry!!! ;-)

Visited February 2013
Hampshire, United Kingdom
“Amazing food, and good value and service”
Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

Visted last night for a family meal. The food was amazing! Huge portions and we all left will full bellies.
Atmosphere and service was very good and will definetly visit again for evening meal. I have been for lunch in the past and again, food was amazing.
Great view of portsmouth too at night!!

Portsmouth
“Mothers day”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Wow what a lovley lunchtime meal. Booked a couple of week's ago for Mother's day and hoping for a good service etc and talk about fantastic. Great value for money and the quantity was just right including the desert :). Staff very friendly always on hand if you needed them and always made sure that there was nothing wrong. We thought it would be packed being Mothers day and yes it was busy but not like sardines in a tin as the saying goes. Definatly go back again for any meal/occasion