“Food at its best”

Cuisines: Chinese, Malaysian
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Buffet, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Buffet, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed November 21, 2013

The Water Margin,ideal for groups,the food is varied and the taste is Beautiful,a relaxed atmosphere,very clean and friendly, helpful staff. Such a wide range of dishes to choose from,yes it does have a cafeteria feel, but I like that,gives it a more relaxed environment feel. And if you want to enjoy a great meal,this is the place to go.

RayWM, Manager at Water Margin, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2013

Dear ava c,

Thanks for the great review.

Its always refreshing when someone appreciates the style of restaurant we are. I totally agree with your comments on the Cafeteria feel, it doers make for a much more relaxed atmosphere for casual dining.

Great to hear you enjoyed the offering, taste and quality of the food, such great comments, make it all worth while and give the staff a great boost, as these sites are more often than not ,used to highlight a bad experience, that wasn't highlighted during the visit, allowing the opportunity to rectify. So a big Thank You for taking time to highlight your appreciation and enjoyment.

We hope to see you back soon, and please, make yourself known to me so I can thank you in person.

There are newer reviews for Water Margin

Reviewed November 9, 2013

As a vegetarian there was adequate choice but I was not ecstatic about it. Husband said there was plenty of choice for him. I found that by the time I got my food back to the table it was nearly cold. Lots of desserts. mostly sweets and icecream. There was a lot of fresh fruit which was nice but the melon was so hard I couldn't eat it. Lots of families and groups of young people. Tables cleared quickly.
I probably wouldn't go back but husband would.

RayWM, Manager at Water Margin, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2013

Dear caz769,

Thank you for your review.
I am sorry to hear you were not ecstatic about the vegetarian options available, and that the food was not to a suitable temperature. The vegetarian options, in the main, do hot have a sauce which helps to maintain the temperature for a period after it is removed from the hot holding units.

I am not sure if you tried any of the fresh items from the Tepanyaki Bar, where our chef will cook the items for you adding sauce or oils of your choice. These items are cooked fresh on the griddle and would normally be served at a temperature in excess of 76 degrees.

I was happy to hear the choice was more suitable for your husband and that he would return. Obviously it is not an ideal situation for you both, but I am happy for any suggestions you can offer to improve our Vegetarian offering, alternatively I am sure our chefs could cook something from fresh, so you can both return and enjoy the food.

Please feel free to contact me with any suggestions or request, should you decide to return to the Water Margin.

ray@watermargin.co.uk

Kind Regards,

Reviewed November 6, 2013

Good basic Chinese and Malaysian food, with a wide choice, including in desserts. Helpful, friendly staff. The only problem was the toilets. Although there was an apology for the state of them, unfortunately, other customers had soiled them and they hadn't been cleaned by staff. An unpleasant experience, which was a shame, as the rest of the restaurant was fine.

Dear HJF68,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit, we appreciate the feedback.
I was delighted to hear you found the staff and service to be, helpful and friendly.

You may have noticed the previous reviewer also made a comment about the public toilets, which has now been addressed. The issue with the toilets has not really been highlighted previously, but then in a matter of day we have a couple of comments. This is the very reason we appreciate customers feedback, it allows us to address something we may have overlooked, and why your comments are so valuable to our business.

I do hope this experience will not deter you from visiting the Water Margin in the future.

Regards,

Reviewed November 3, 2013

I should like to thank the Management for contacting me reference my previous review regarding this restaurant, omitting my comments with regards to the state of said restaurants' toilets. In all probablility, the issues raised regarding the toilets ought to have been addressed to the management directly. Who assures me that issues discussed will receive immediate attention.

I have been a customer to this restaurant for over ten years, the service received from waitresses and waiters has always been of a high standard. And most friendly. Overall the food has been good, although, at busy-times there can be a delay at re-filling dishes which have become empty. Generally, visiting this restaurant and partaking in the food on offer, one receives good value for your money..

With regards to the rest of the review made, which was most favorable, still is in my opinion quite fair and correct. Adding only that the day on said visit the restaurant was full and therefore extremely busy.

Dear Reginald,

Firstly, I would like to thank you for allowing me the opportunity to discuss the issue with you directly and subsequently your amended review.

You have been a loyal supporter of the Water Margin since it opened its doors to the public, over 10 years ago, so your feedback is appreciated and indeed. valued.

I am sorry we have let you down, in not providing adequate, clean toilet facilities, which as discussed will be addressed immediately.

Whilst I am relatively new to the business, it is a pleasure to hear that you always find the service to be of a high standard and friendly.

We always try to keep our buffet replenished, so all items are available, it's true we do not always succeed, as all the dishes are cooked fresh, during busy periods it is difficult to replenish up to 60 dishes in a short period of time.
We have considered reducing the menu to aid the speed of service from the kitchen, but following feedback from our guests, we know the preference is to retain our current selection and good value for money.

I would appreciate the opportunity to meet with you in person,, during your next visit, so I can thank you for the constructive feedback.

kind Regards,

Reviewed November 1, 2013

Regular visitor - mainly at lunchtime.
Ambience is a bit like a school canteen but difficult to see how it could differ in view of buffet process.
Staff are always pleasant.
Very busy on our last visit as it was half term but supply of food was good.
We take our Grandchildren (10 and 8) who love it - suspect because they can help themselves - gives them a good opportunity to try different foods and develope their palate.
Lunchtime menu good value as is the expanded evening menu.

RayWM, Manager at Water Margin, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2013

Dear grahamgorringe,

We appreciate you taking the time out to review your visit.

We value all feedback, especially feedback from a regular diner. Quite often, even our regular diners only take the time to review us on tripadvisor when they have had a poor experience, so your positive review is very much appreciated.

It is refreshing to read your understanding of our style of dining. We have discussed many times, reducing the seating capacity to give a more comfortable dining experience but this would inevitable affect our pricing, as we rely on volume, to offer such good value for money. General feedback is to stay as we are and continue to offer good value.

Its great to hear the Grandchildren also enjoy their dining experience at the restaurant. I know how fussy kids can be, so once again, its refreshing to hear our offering is acceptable to the younger generation.

In case you were not aware, we have recently launched our customer loyalty card. If do not already have one, don't forget to get one on your next visit. We are keen to reward you continued support of the Water Margin.

Please make yourself known to me o your next visit, so I can thank you in person for the review.

Kind Regards,