“So 80's”

Ranked #120 of 673 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Shorties has a consistent, quality food offering with an attentive and personable service which has earned many years of loyal customers celebrating birthdays, anniversaries and the festive season. The emphasis on a consistent menu offering, keen pricing with generous portion sizes has meant the business is well known in the wider Portsmouth area with families repeatedly returning. Menu varies from Steaks, Burgers and Seafood with a childs' menu also offered. Stuffed Garlic Mushrooms a House Special!
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Restaurant been here ever since I remember but never eaten her before, so decided to go for my birthday. Seating rather cramped, small tables and tiny chairs too, decor rather dated, plates local cafes used back in the 80's (grey with brown edges, remember?). Food quite good, don't think the menu has changed since the 80's either, but I suppose if it ain't broke.....

There are newer reviews for Shorties Restaurant

Reviewed December 8, 2013

I have been to Shorties several times and it has a very good reputation in Portsmouth. The food is always good and when I visited this weekend I was not disappointed by the food, but it wasn't good enough to make up for the terrible service.

We were a party of four and had booked a table for 7:30pm, which was when we arrived. However we were asked to wait at the bar as our table wasn't ready. We could see three tables for four which were unoccupied at the time so this didn't make sense. We waited 15-20 minutes in the tiny bar area, having to keep moving so the waitresses could pass. Eventually they randomly moved a couple from a corner table to one near the door then set up their table for us, stating that the couple hadn't booked. We thought this was very rude and did not make a lot of sense.

When we were seated we waited at least 10 minutes before they came to take our drinks order, which was quite frustrating, and though the mains were served quickly, the delay in clearing the table and taking payment was ridiculous in the circumstances (it being a small restaurant with limited tables to serve).

The service has put me off visiting again any time soon. This is a shame because I have been a customer for many years and it didn't used to be like this.

Reviewed December 8, 2013

We had looked forward to going back to Shorties Restaurant on our last visit to Portsmouth
When we arrived we told them we had a table booked for 6:30
After the little conversation amongst them selves they put us on a table next to the door which was cold & we felt that we were in naughty corner even though there was plenty of other nicer spare tables were they could of sat us!!!!
The waitress took our drink order & returned promptly with them & then asked if we were ready to order our food.
We ordered Garlic Mushrooms which I felt they were very greasy.
For main corse we ordered steak which was cooked perfectly & vegetable stroganoff which was good as well.
We were rushed through our meal and had paid our bill within 45mins of sitting down.
It is a shame as my partner has eaten here for many years, but is now reluctant to return.

1  Thank Yellows6269
Reviewed December 7, 2013

This was not my first visit to Shorties but as always, the food was fantastic and the staff brilliant, so glad to see this place is still so popular after all these years and we will be back!

Reviewed December 5, 2013

I've been visiting Portsmouth on business for 10 years now and Shorties is the one place that keeps getting my custom when staying at Holiday Inn on Pembroke Road.

It is what it is and that's a small independent restaurant serving good value well cooked food.

Okay, so it can be a little cramped and the decor isn't amazing but I don't visit to look at the walls, I come here to eat good food and receive good service and this place has both!!

House Chicken Wings really good, the steak always cooked how you ask for it, waitresses really friendly. We go in there, have two starters, two fillet steaks and a bottle of wine all for under £50.

Ignore the haters and give it a try.