“Good food”

Shorties Restaurant
Ranked #162 of 645 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Grill, British
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Kids, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff
Description: Shorties has a consistent, quality food offering with an attentive and personable service which has earned many years of loyal customers celebrating birthdays, anniversaries and the festive season. The emphasis on a consistent menu offering, keen pricing with generous portion sizes has meant the business is well known in the wider Portsmouth area with families repeatedly returning. Menu varies from Steaks, Burgers and Seafood with a childs' menu also offered. Stuffed Garlic Mushrooms a House Special!
Bucks
“Good food”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

We arrived in Portsmouth , booked into our B&B and headed straight out. Shorties was literally ten steps away and despite been busy fitted us right in. Shorties are a Burger/Steak Restaurant. The fact that it was full was a good sign. I ordered a starter of KIng Prawns and for a mains I had a T-bone steak. My partner ordered Whitebait and a chicken dish. I made a special request to skip the baked potato or chips and fill the plate with salad. The staff were helpful and courteous at all times and I got the distinct impression that many of the diners are regulars to Shorties. Needless to say I enjoyed my steak and salad although my partner did question the freshness of the vegetables on her plate, but the chicken was excellent. Definitely worth a visit if you are in the area.

portsmouth, UK
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Used to be nice :-(”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Just back from a family meal - had previously been there in January for a special birthday of which was fab.
I'm writing this because I'm very disappointed about today's visit.
Firstly, my husband had to return his drink twice because of dried food around the rim.
Secondly, my daughter had no beans with her kids meal which should have been included. When we asked the staff if we could have some, they bought out a steaming, scorching hot bowl of beans that was obviously fresh from the microwave. Bearing in mind these beans were for a child, they were dangerously hot to eat.
Thirdly, my husband had to wait around 10minutes for a fork, in order to eat his T-bone steak. Steak in itself was beautiful, but because of the wait, his food had gone cold .
It was such a shame. As a family, we do not eat out very often, so this experience has left us feeling - why on earth we went there,
It certainly wasn't the same experience/treatment we had when we ate there in January.
Very disappointed to say the lest.

Petersfield, UK
“Throwback to the 80's but great food”
Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

I'd been wanting to visit Shorties for the last 10 years and had never got round to it.. Until now.

As some other reviewers have mentioned, in interior is a bit of a throwback to the 70's/80's but for me this just adds to the quirkiness and atmopshere of the place.

On the day we went, every table was taken with more customers waiting so it's clearly popular and I would recommend a reservation.

The food, naturally, has an emphasis on steak and burgers but other dishes are available including chicken and fish dishes.

Portion sizes are excellent and very reasonably priced. We opted for the American Burgers which are huge - but well worth the effort! From the comments I could hear from people around, everyone was enjoying their food.

Wide selection of drinks / cocktails available including several non alcoholic ones.

Shorties is certainly not a gourmet restaurant by any means but if you want wholesome food in a relaxed atmopshere then I would definitely recommend. We will certainly be back.

• Visited August 2013
“Valentines meal made special”
Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

Me and my fiance came here for valentines day earlier in the year. my favourite food is steak and this place does not dissapoint!! my steak was cooked perfectly! theres nothing worse than having an overcooked/undercooked steak. deffinitrly reccomend!

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank dcpb2k
“Average”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Everyone raves about this place. So I thought I would try it with friends. I found the food was over cooked, cramped establishment, and hurried service. The literally pack you in and throw you out. I ordered prawns to start with which were really dry and over cooked, then covered in garlic butter. Main I had steak (medium rare) which was well done and bland. I was so close to the woman behind me that every time she cut her meat her chair was rocking mine. Will not be hurrying back there.

Visited April 2013