“Gourmet nights a BIG hit”
Review of Montparnasse

Montparnasse
Ranked #23 of 684 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: European
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Modern European cuisine in a relaxed friendly atmosphere. We combine the classics with contemporary cuisine using fresh, local, seasonal ingredients where possible.
Reviewed March 3, 2014

My favourite restaurant by far. Excellent value for money. We look forward to our nights out (few and far between now we have children) and I dislike spending good money for poor service and indifferent food but Montparnasse is always top notch. The gourmet nights are especially good as the menu and accompanying wines are set which makes you sample tastes that you ordinarily might not choose...waiting for the next course I feel like a kid on Christmas morning. The owner comes round to the tables to serve the wine, explains where the ingredients are sourced, why this particular wine is matched with this course...if you just go to restaurants to fill your belly give it a miss, if you want a food experience get down there.

3  Thank Colin C

Reviewed February 6, 2014

Friendly and attentive service backed up by some of the most delicious food I have EVER eaten - particular favourites were the scallops and slow cooked pork starter and roast lamb main - the menu is fairly pricey but the home-baked bread, bread sticks and dips, amuse bouche and palate cleanser are all included and if you fancy indulging there is simply no where better to dine in Southsea. I promise you will not be disappointed.

1  Thank BellaPortsmouth
Reviewed January 12, 2014

I was distinctly disappointed on my last visit on Valentines night a couple of years ago and I thought that, in fairness, it was only right to re-review after my last visit. Especially as this experience was 100% better than the last. The food was very good indeed, and even on a (very) quiet Saturday night just after Christmas and New Year, the atmosphere was pleasant. There were 4 in our party and each one of us was delighted with the food. It was imaginative, beautifully cooked and well-presented. There was no sense of rush - the table was ours for the evening and we had a great time. The bill was quite steep but it represented pretty good value for money. I will definitely be back for more. Thank you Montparnasse.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

A welcome from the owner and an obvious passion and knowledge for the food on his menu got this visit off to a great start. The restaurant is unassuming and a place to feel relaxed and enjoy good company.
The entree and main were beautiful and dessert a conversation stopper!
I cannot wait to pop back in on my next UK visit.

Reviewed December 8, 2013

had a great dinner, great service, there were 7 of us and all really enjoyed it. expensive to other places in portsmouth, but you get what you pay for. will return