“I've had better!!!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Azzurro - Portsmouth

Azzurro - Portsmouth
Ranked #96 of 634 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Kids, Large groups, Romantic, Scenic view
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Azzurro is a popular chain of Italian restaurants across the UK serving a mixture of pasta and pizza staples together with a selection of more sophisticated dishes. This Portsmouth branch is set next to the Spinnaker Tower in the revitalised area of Gunwharf Quays, and has a relaxed, family-friendly vibe, with colouring sheets and children's menus to keep the kids entertained. It is also a splendid choice for summer functions, with the outdoor terrace offering a spectacular view overlooking the Solent. Inspired by the finest Italian recipes, Azzurro uses the freshest ingredients to create a great selection of classic Italian dishes and frequently changing specials to ensure that you can enjoy a new culinary experience with each visit. Each meal is freshly prepared on-site, meaning that you will be served good food fast, rather than just fast food. As well as stocking some truly exceptional wines from both traditional and New World regions, the bars at Azzurro also offer some of Europe's most loved beers on draught and bottled.
Cowplain
“I've had better!!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

From a personal point of view, I find this restaurant difficult to judge & review, as I've visited it a few times over the years & each time I find things to complain about but on the other hand there are things that I have to be complimentary about.

The complaints first - I find the standard & the quality of cooking food to vary so much. Some food is beautifully cooked whilst others are far from good & that's at the same sitting. Without going into too much detail we visited the restaurant recently & I had reason to complain about the standard of some of the food presented to some of our party. I also had to remind the staff that whilst the rest of the table had received their drinks, I had not had mine.

The compliments now - the management & staff were very good, they couldn't apologise more for the disappointment we felt with our meal. Other than the complaints in the previous paragraph the rest of the food received by the remainder of the party was good & the desserts were excellent. The wine list although not extensive presented us with some excellent wines.

I would visit again but not next week!!!!

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank BillsDouble
karen m, Guest Relations Manager at Azzurro - Portsmouth, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your feedback which we have noted and will consider and act upon. We look forward to your return custom.

London, United Kingdom
“great food - more than value for money”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

Good food and freindly service. Very decently priced - we opted for £7.45 lunch deal and left well fed and happy. Would definitely go again.

Visited May 2013
karen m, Guest Relations Manager at Azzurro - Portsmouth, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Dear Customer

Thank you for such a lovely review - we hope that you will visit us again soon

Portsmouth
“Not bad”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

Service, surroundings and decor very nice indeed. For starters we had Brushetta, Calamari and Prawns, all excellent and good value. Wine list not extensive but what they did was reasonable in terms of price and quality. Mains were a taglietelle dish and a risotto. Both disappointing, stodgy to be honest.

Overall a peasant enough experience and might give them another try sometime.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
karen m, Guest Relations Manager at Azzurro - Portsmouth, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your very positive comments. We are delighted that you have enjoyed dining with us.I will be visiting the site tomorrow and will discuss your main course concerns with the team. If you would like me to send you a discount voucher to use for your next visit please email me directly at karen@towncentrerestaurants.co.uk.

Welcome back again very soon!

Karen
“We can't stay away! Fantastic all round - Highly recommend!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

My fiancé and I visit Azzurro on a weekly basis, and are never disappointed

The staff know us on a first name basis, they know our favourite wine, and generally really look after us!

The food is divine, and there is something for everyone.

I have had my birthday party here, taken friends here, has business meetings, and also taken my family here, so it really is a fantastic all rounder.

The menu has recently changed and is simply superb, I particularly love the pasta with strips of sirloin steak and a red wine sauce.

We would highly recommend this restaurant, you can be sure of a fantastic evening...

• 5 of 5 bubbles
karen m, Guest Relations Manager at Azzurro - Portsmouth, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Dear Customer

Thank you for your glowing review - see you very soon !

Hampshire, UK
“Lovely Italian Food in Gun Wharf Quays”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013

Went to Gun Wharf today and wanted to eat somewhere quieter, I remembered Azzurro tucked away almost next to the Spinnaker Tower and went along. The restaurant has had a bright makeover and is very clean and comfortable,with lovely leather type club chairs and higher formal chairs and light wood dining tables make for a relaxed and comfy environment in which to enjoy your meal. There is seating outside with a great view over the Quay for the warmer days.

Good menu choices of pizza, pasta, risotto, salads and meat or fish dishes, I didn't feel there were too many choices to overwhelm you but enough to make you linger as you decide between 2 or 3 favourites!

We quickly had our drinks orders taken and were left to peruse the menu for about 5 mins before a friendly, helpful waitress took our orders, My husband made a change to his pizza order as he doesn't like red onions and this was noted and an alternative list of ingredients offered,

Food turned up really quickly, the restaurant was busy and were were expecting a wait, Most importantly it was piping hot, I had the prawn and crayfish linguini which was very tasty and had a generous flavour of chilli which I loved. My husband's pizza hit the mark - thin dry base and was generously topped. Portions are generous and the food is well presented.

We saw another diner order apple pie and it looked fab so my husband took advantage, he said it was great!

All in all a good meal, with friendly and efficient service. Not the cheapest Italian restaurant chain but good quality ingredients and good service makes it real value for money in our eyes,

We will be back for another visit, or two!

1 Thank Elliedoc
karen m, Guest Relations Manager at Azzurro - Portsmouth, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Dear Customer

thank you for your review we are delighted that you enjoyed dining with us and we look forward to welcoming you back again really soon