“Dreadful”

Ranked #351 of 684 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: British
Good for: Scenic view, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Set in the busy Gunwharf Quays Shopping complex in Portsmouth, Tiger Tiger is an upbeat venue split into six individual areas including a separate Restaurant room. The spacious restaurant with its sleek terrace overlooking the harbour is a stylish and sophisticated spot for informal dining, serving international favourites from steaks and burgers to fajitas and a variety of fish dishes and a lot more.Elsewhere, you can enjoy a great night out in one of Tiger Tiger's many bar and club rooms. With the Tiki Paradise Kanaloa you can imagine you are in a tropical paradise far away. Groovy Wonderland brings the 70/80's to the 21st century. Jewel Bar brings stylish and elegance to any night out and the Club room is the room to dance the night away.Tiger Tiger offers the complete night out for any group.
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Went to Tiger Tiger with a friend yesterday for lunch and left extremely disappointed. The service was dreadful, 40 minutes until we were offered a drink which then took a further 20 minutes to arrive. The bottle of wine had a faulty screw top and as no waiters or waitresses were around to serve, we had to resort to cutting open the bottle top with a knife.
Food was awful, the penne arribiatta was literally pasta with a tin of chopped tomatoes and the chips my friend had ordered as a side to her fajitas arrived 30 minutes after the other food. Customers around us had to wait just as long for service, even though the restaurant was not busy, one table had to wait nearly an hour for their finished plates to be taken away.
There were lots of staff in, all of whom were not concerned with the customers and just chatted at the bar, which resulted in abhorrently slow service which really marred my afternoon. Very unimpressed.

TigerPortsmouth, General Manager at Tiger Tiger - Portsmouth, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2013

Hi El C. Thank you so much for your feedback. Customer satisfaction is of utmost importance to us, so it’s extremely disappointing that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion. We use customer feedback to enhance the experience, so will absolutely be following up on your comments to ensure improvements are made. Restaurant and kitchen staff will be re-trained, with speed of service and efficiency in mind. If you would like to come along again to give us a chance to change your perception of the venue, please give us a call on 02392 882244 and we can get you booked in.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

was in there last week .. had a lovely drink .. friend was a bit hungry so she had th garlic bread ..... on thing it wast cooked it was raw bread with no taste..... but the clubs my fave

Reviewed April 8, 2013

For the past four years, Tiger Tiger down on Gunwharf Quays has been one our favourite venues. It was like our little secret, a little gem hidden away in the hustle & bustle of a busy retail outlet, full of grockles and bargain hunters.
The service was always great, the food was hot and delicious, and the prices were always very reasonable.
Imagine our despair then, when we ventured into our favourite place last week, only to find that everything had been changed.
The decor now looks like a seedy bordillo! Dark booths and tents and pretentious, floaty curtains everywhere.
The friendliness had disappeared: in an empty room where we always sat at the most comfortable seats, we were shown the tiniest table. When I asked why we couldn't sit at another table I was told "Oh I've not had time to look at the booking sheets, so you'll have to sit there". My partner, not overly tall at 6'2", couldn't get his legs under the table, so a helpful waiter moved the table a few inches allowing him to sit. He was cramped and uncomfortable, and quite frankly, it was plain ridiculous to place us at that table with ALL the others empty.
We wondered why it was empty, until we looked at the menu.
Gone were the old favourites, replaced by over-priced, mainly meat based meals at eye-watering prices. I couldn't see anything I wanted at all, and my easy-to-please partner was also unable to make a choice.
After being ignored, we had to wave our arms around and ask if we could see the bar menu instead. Horror of horrors!!! Although you used to be able to order from ANY menu whilst in the restaurant, this policy has no changed and we were told to leave and sit in the bar area.
The bar was full. There were NO free tables, loud music, and a Stygian darkness was all pervasive. After walking around for a full 6 minutes trying to find a table (all were full or marked 'reserved'), we had no option but to leave.
The management clearly wanted to make Tiger appear more exclusive, but in doing so, they have destroyed the goose that laid the golden egg. That friendly little place, with cheerful staff and good food has made way for shiny, expensive and clinical chic. A great shame. We will now have to find another regular spot on Gunwharf, which believe me, is NOT an easy task.
Avoid if you want to eat - great if you want to pose around in tents.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

We booked a table in the restaurant at 8.30. We arrived just after this, and were advised that happy hour ends at 9, so we would be wise to order drinks sooner than later. We ordered several beers as happy hour was ending, and they were brought to us in a wine bucket!! Food was ok, and considering its half price on Fridays, we got a great deal. We went to the bar next door afterwards, which was playing good music, but the crowd was pretty young, and after a while, there were a few drunk people around!!! The club didn't get busy, but the other bar was busier. Great venue, but quite a young crowd.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

I visited this place with a crowd of girls from work on a friday evening it was busy and we were shown to our table having already pre booked.
I had the veal snitzel it was nice but I've had better I ordered a side of green beans with it . The mains do not come with veg you have to order it seperate which pushes the cost up. the girl at the side of me had a vegetarian burger and said it was nice but there wasn't much of it even with her side order of chips the others all rated thier food as ok.
We booked to eat at 19.30 as meals are half price before 21.00 I can safely say I would not have paid full price for it . it wasn't worth any more for the over priced undersized average tasting food.

TigerPortsmouth, Manager at Tiger Tiger - Portsmouth, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2013

Apologies if you were given incorrect information, however, half price food does not end at 9pm on Fridays, the offer extends all day and evening.

In relation to your comments on the food quality, thanks for bringing this to our attention. We work hard to offer good, competitively priced food and provide a friendly and efficient service. I am sorry that we didn’t meet your expectations on this occasion.

I hope you will give us another chance in the future. If you’d like to contact me directly, please call 02392 882244 and ask for Robbie Everest.

Alternatively please email me at RestaurantManager@tigertiger-ports.co.uk.