“An OK B and B”

Ranked #30 of 34 Portsmouth B&B and Inns
Vinca, France
“An OK B and B”
Reviewed December 14, 2013

This is very much B and B standard. The rooms were clean but very tired and dated. ( I did notice a stained duvet cover.). The landlords were perfectly nice people. The breakfast was very nice and freshly cooked. Our "superior room" would be a normal hotel standard room. At £78.00 / night I would say over priced.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank deneuk12

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
weymouth dorset
Reviewed October 12, 2013

I stayed at this guest house last year,with two of my grandchildren and nephew..At first I thought the landlady was not as helpful as I would have liked (we arrived early,and wanted to leave cases) how ever on staying there I can respect her decision (being bit off,about leaving cases) the rooms were spotless and beautiful..lots of tea,coffee,biscuits and hot chocolate.. I even asked could I book another nite as I could not fault it..It was the best ive ever been to..she even went out of her way to do packed lunch for the two who had to go back early..the breakfast was really nice, although my youngest granddaughter is not a big eater! I promised to take them back this year..but due to ill health it was impossible..but definatly return again..even my youngest keeps saying Nannie,Nannie please can we go to the Abbey..she was only 7yrs at time

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

The place is clean and the owners pleasant, helpful and attentive. Good location near Albert St where there were shops restaurants and pubs, and close to the sea. All night partying students over the road kept me awake, which is a shame.....

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Swanley, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 31, 2013

The breakfasts were well cooked and the bedroom contained a large, comfortable bed. The "bathroom" (toilet, washbasin and shower) was the smallest I have seen. It looked like a converted wardrobe. Anyone suffering from claustrophobia beware! A first glance it looked dirty but this was due to the old, chipped tiles. In actual fact it was clean. We had to hang our clothes on a rail over the coffee/tea making facilities. The bedroom carpet looked old and stained in places. For £70 I expected better.

The guest house is on a very busy road so we were often woken by noise from traffic and people.

The Abbey Lodge is full of (plastic) flowers and is well decorated. Guests are expected to pay for all nights in advance and are told not to check in until 16.00

Room Tip: Ask for one at the back of the house.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Hadley94

Travelers are raving about these Portsmouth hotels

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Great budget accommodation, clean rooms/bathrooms, friendly staff, top breakfast cooked to order. If you have watched the hotel inspector on channel 5 and seen how Alex Polizzi advises best practice about how to best greet guests, be knowledgeable about your area and have clean welcoming rooms then you will certainly get that here.
Look at the price of a premiere at short booking notice (they wanted £120 the night I stayed) and what you get at a premiere (a room minus breakfast, unless you want to pay more). Compare that to a local independent value for money guest house with a welcoming approach to their guests, I know what I'd chose every time.
Yes I will stay again, thank you

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 17, 2013

If you want to be treated with disrespect and rudeness then this is the place for you, both Linda and her husband have a lack of understanding of what it means to treat customers with respect and are terribly rude. My partner and I recently booked to stay here based on the fact that the abbey lodge website said check in was from 14:00 onwards. After booking (and paying in full) we received an email stating that we were only able to check in from 16:00.

Upon questioning, we were promptly (and very rudely) told that a check in from 14:00 could not be 100% guaranteed. They said we’d have to “attempt” to call them upon arrival to see if they could let us in. Realising that they couldn’t accommodate our request or meet the conditions laid out on their own website we had no other choice but to cancel the booking, at which point we were charged a £10 cancellation fee. Absolutely appalling considering that the only thing we did wrong was trust what their own website said (questionable what else they lie about). The refund process was also problematic with only £10 originally being transferred back to me, I needed to chase for the remaining balance. On email they appear ‘nice as pie’, be warned that they are have an inability to provide any kind of customer service and are aggressive on the phone (which they can do because it isn’t recorded and can’t be passed on like an email!).

My advice would be to avoid staying here unless you want to turn a pleasant night away into a stressful a fair.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank J K
gold coast
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Stayed here for one night and it was perfect. Greeted by friendly owner on arrival. Room was all that I needed, clean, tidy, tea, coffee, snacks. Very comfortable bed. Breakfast was a highlight, all the food that you could possibly want and cooked fresh to order. Even some muffins and cookies to take away. Only slight negative would be the noise transferred through the floors and walls from other rooms. It's only minor noise and expected from these the old English style buildings.
Highly recommend staying here, I would come back for sure.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo