“Don't ask if you are sharing a bathroom or mention bad reviews!”
Review of Abbey Lodge

Abbey Lodge
Ranked #30 of 34 Portsmouth B&B and Inns
Crowle, United Kingdom
“Don't ask if you are sharing a bathroom or mention bad reviews!”
Reviewed August 7, 2012

In mid July I had booked two rooms for myself and two sons for 3 nights from 4th August. A couple of nights before leaving whilst packing I enquired if the two rooms shared a bathroom - if not I would have had to pack 2 x toiletries. I also read the last review and said in my email I hoped this was a one off poor review? The result - they sent an email back saying I was out to cause trouble and cancelled the booking!! This left me high and dry with no money back in my account for 2 days and nowhere to stay. Their attitude was offensive and when I tried to speak to the owner by phone, he put the phone down. I was flabbergasted............. I will gladly copy anyone in on the email correspondence to see who is at fault - very badly let down and still don't understand why?

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank magnolia60

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 7, 2012

I booked this b&b myself for my husband's birthday. Our first impression was that it is extremely expensive for what they offer. Our ensuite was in the attic, so tiny that my back still hurts from bending. The night, we had exactly 2 nights sleep before a serie of fights and screams started outside the lodge and did last for hours. The breakfast is served between 8-9, not a minute after that, because we were badly told off by a lady who didn't even bother to introduce herself as the owner. We decided to leave after 1 night even if we booked 2 nights, the area is obviously not nice. We asked to see the owner who was again very unprofessional and refused to give us any refund. It was a nightmare.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Latifa L

Travelers are raving about these Portsmouth hotels

Dublin
Reviewed July 22, 2012

I spent a night here in July with my boyfriend because I ran the Race for Life taking place on Sunday. At arrival the man was very kind and helped us to park the motorbike. The room was allright but the shower was outside and was very small and the toilet was in the third floor. I expected a great breakfast as they have a "breakfast award" showing in the entrance. The coffee was really bad and the rest was just ok. We asked the lady to let our stuff somewhere in the BB until the end of the race but she refused saying she was too busy in the kitchen. We couldn't talk to none else and all she suggested was to pay an extra night. We had to take our bags with us the whole morning and couldn't really enjoy the rest of the afternoon in Portsmouth. Really disappointed.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Grisila
AbbeyLodge, Owner at Abbey Lodge, responded to this review, August 3, 2012
Sadly this review is the kind that does Trip Advisor no favours. Basically the reviewer was caught out trying to scam extra accommodation - she wanted to return after her fun run in the late afternoon and change and shower whilst leaving her motor bike and luggage here: We were not prepared to do this as the room was needed at midday for another guest. So to get back at us she wrote this vindictive review. She has twisted things quite a bit as there is a toilet on the third floor and ALSO the second. Her comments about our award winning breakfast are a bit strange as she had the veggie option. As for the coffee she could have had nescaff if cafetiere Columbian is a bit rich for her.
Southampton
Reviewed June 17, 2012

I booked a single room at the Abbey Lodge for a one night stay in Portsmouth. I was looking for somewhere near the sea and pier which this is both. My room was excellent with comfortable bed, first class blackout blind at the window, good selection of hot drinks and nice biscuits. No compliants.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Southampton, UK
Reviewed December 2, 2011

The owners obviously put a lot of effort into maintaining standards. This was a lot cheaper than the sort of hotel I would normally use but I thought I'd give it a try. You don't realise how nice an en-suite bathroom is until you have to make do without one, but that isn't their fault! There is plenty of free on-street parking just round the corner, which is a rare thing in Portsmouth and Southsea.

I was upgraded to a twin room at no extra cost so I had plenty of room. The room itself was well equipped with wifi, toiletries, ironing board and a flat screen TV. There was a radiator and the window opened so I was able to keep the room at the ideal temperature for me. A full English breakfast was included in the price, although this isn't actually advertised (bargain!), and very nice it was too. I would thoroughly recommend the Abbey Lodge if you want a cheap place to stay as it is in a very good location for local night-life and the seafront.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank John B
Dundee
Reviewed July 5, 2011

Last morning of our 3 day stay in a double en suite room which was large, quiet and had a great comfy bed. The breakfast was lovely especially the filter coffee. Within easy walking distance of the beach and ezcellent bus links to Portsmouth centre and attractions. Albert rd near by has some lovely pubs and loads of shops. Will definately stay again :-)

• Stayed June 2011
3 Thank Jenn_Dundee
Backnang
Reviewed July 5, 2011

Nice room but there was a carpet which was difficult to clean and in the bathroom was also carpet . The room was pretty and the owners were really nice. The food was freashly cooked and very delicate. We would definitly go back there.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple