“Home from home”

Ranked #2 of 38 Hotels in Portsmouth
“Home from home”
Reviewed March 9, 2013

I travel to Portsmouth on a weekly basis for business and normally stay in Florence or Somerset house but on 2 occasions Ellie has moved me to number 4. Much to my delight! The rooms are beautiful. Ellie and her staff are very friendly and nothing is too much bother. I am allergic to feathers and they always ensure my bedding is switched to non feather even to the point that on my first visit to this hotel they brought bedding up from a sister hotel! I also had fruit salad especially prepared for me on my last visit at breakfast without asking for it! (I always have this choice in the other hotel and they had remembered). This hotel is a must if you are travelling to Portsmouth. I can guarantee you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank Ldis
Reception1113, Manager at Number Four Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Dear Lisa,
Thank you for such a lovely review! We always remember what our guests like! We know how much you like your fruit salad in the morning so our chef was more than happy to make it fresh especially for you. Thank you for staying with The Mercer Collection Hotels and I will see you again soon.

Number Four Boutique Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
Earl Soham, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 8, 2013

What a terrific hotel! The staff were first class and so kind and helpful. The food was excellent and the room was perfect. Would certainly stay again and highly recommend. My room was upgraded to Executive and I had the best sleep ever whilst staying away from home

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Pooksters121
Thank you so much for your review! We are happy to upgrade our guests whenever it is possible. We are glad you enjoyed your stay, found the room comfortable and food delicious. Please give us a call when you are in Portsmouth again and we will be happy to accommodate you again! Many thanks and see you again soon!

Alvor, Portugal
Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

This is not difficult. When you approach the building you could wonder what is instore for you. Walk in quickly and shut the door. Dont want anyone else to see how lucky you have been to find such a fantastic place. Fabulous staff, high quality fixtures and fittings at an affordable rate.
You have to try it if you are in the area.
And to my new friends I say Obrigado e Boa Sorte

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank Dave4949
Olá Dave!
Thank you for taking a time to leave us such a nice review! It makes us proud to be described as “a fantastic place”. Our staff were happy to have you here so contact us next time you are in the area and we will be more than happy to see you again!! até breve!!

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 7, 2013

We have just got back from our stay in this incredible hotel. We booked a few days break for us to have a bit of a chill out session and have been overwhelmed with the hotel. The rooms are really lovely. They are very tastefully decorated. Infact the hotel has been completed to a very high standard of quality and comfort. It is a credit to the owners who have spent a lot of time and money getting the finish just right. We could not fault it. The staff were very professional and polite. They made our stay very memorable. Everyone was very friendly and very helpful. We can honestly say we WILL be returning in the very near future and we would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a quality, comfortable and amazingly special hotel.
Thank you for a wonderful experience.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank janet e
Dear Janet,
Thank you so much for your kind words! I’m very happy we could help you to relax and have some time off. We are committed to providing an excellent service to all of our guests so we are more than happy that you found hotel staff professional, polite, helpful and friendly. Thank you once again and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed March 3, 2013

We stayed in the standard double and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The room was beautifully decorated. Staff were ever so helpful and breakfast delicious. Location was good for Southsea shops and attractions. Would recommend to anyone wishing to stay in this area.

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank iowbird
Thank you for your review. It was nice meeting you and we are pleased you enjoyed your stay and found the hotel suited your needs. Many thanks and we hope to see you again!

Bristol, UK
Reviewed March 1, 2013

I stumbled on this hotel through a booking website - what a great find! It's located at the Eastern end of Portsmouth, close to the sea front in a quiet residential road with easy parking (a few off-road spaces, but plenty of on-road).
I stayed during the first week of opening after a major refit. And I mean major! Everything seemed brand new and the hotel has been modelled to reflect a feel of comfort and luxury in a very contemporary artistic style. My room was spacious (I'd estimate about 25 square metres) and beautifully decorated. Thick pile carpet, comfortable bed, flat creen TV, etc. Plenty of space for hanging clothes. Bathroom was spotless and similarly highly finished. I had a couple of slight problems with water temperature and heating, but I had no doubt that these were minor teething problems, given the newness.

I only saw inside 2 rooms, but it seems that each room is decorated in its own style, in keeping with the spirit of a boutique hotel.

Downstairs is a small bar - not quite finished as regards furniture at the time of my stay, but quite able to dispense drinks which I took through to the very comfortable lounge.

Downstairs again is the breakfast room. This is a lovely space - bright and airy and reminded me of places I have stayed rural France or Italy. Breakfast was of a very high standard, although note that a full cooked breakfast is not always included in the room rate (although continental is).

As to location, the hotel is a fair walk from restaurants and pubs (about 15 minutes - unless there's something close that I missed). The lady in reception directed us to a lovely Spanish restaurant called Yago which I can recommend. The adjacent 'Sopranos' Italian also looked good.

I had a very pleasant stay at Number 4. The staff were charming and helpful and I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Menace
Thank you for leaving us such a nice review. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and thank you for being so understanding regarding minor teething problems you experienced. The hotel is completely finished now so we are looking forward to welcoming you again so you could see the progress and try our restaurant.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 28, 2013

When we heard that Number Four was renovated in just 8 weeks, we just could not believe it! How is it possible to build something so huge and amazing in such a short time. Hat off to you all, you truly have created a wonderful hotel, and love the restaurant too. I have found a home when in the area. Thank you for creating such a wonderful experience.

Room Tip: top floor suite if your budget allows