“9 out of 10 A lovely place to stay”

Florence House Hotel
Ranked #3 of 39 Hotels in Portsmouth
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We were due to arrive at around 2.30pm as we were going to a wedding at 3.30pm and the lady at the hotel kindly offered us an early check in, due to unforseen circumstances we didnt arrive in time to check in and had to go straight to the wedding but we called and let them know. Unfortunatley the weather was terrible blowing a gale and raining heavily but we popped back to the hotel around 7pm to be welcomed with a friendly smile and offered an upgraded room if we wanted in another building over the road. We declined as we were only staying the one night and having a spa bathroom wouldve been lovely but we werent really able to take advantage of this but it was really nice to have this offered. There was a small bar area and a beautiful lounge area which was very inviting. We stayed in room one which was tastefully decorated with flatscreen TV and Tea/Coffee making facilities. The bed was very comfortable and a good amount of quality pillows too. The ensuite shower room was clean but was suffering a little from damp and had a little bit of a musky smell this was not a problem to us but could be in the future. The hotel called us a taxi and we went back to the Wedding. When we arrived back the room was really warm and i couldnt find any way to turn down the radiator once again not a major problem we just opened a window slightly and better to be warm than cold. Breakfast was served from 8am to 10.30 and meant we had a nice lie in, check out for 11am was fine. Breakfast was continental and this is where I have a slight problem in that a decent full english was (dont quote me with exact price) was approx £8.50 I think that was a little steep and we decided to just go with the continental which was all of good quality. I would have loved a cooked breakfast included this would have made it 10 (even if they put the room price up slightly) there was quite a selection of cooked options to choose from which was nice but i didnt notice anyone choosing them. Would i stay here again yes in a heartbeat in fact when we return to Portsmouth it will be top of our list. (To the owners please dont think im moaning ref the few things i mentioned we have been in you position and know things can make or break you on trip advisor) This is a great place to stay and we look forward to staying with you again soon.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reception1113, Manager at Florence House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2013

Thank you for leaving us a review! We always try to upgrade our guests if it’s possible. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and found hotel friendly and inviting. Please contact us again if you’re planning on coming to Portsmouth – it would be nice to see you again.

There are newer reviews for Florence House Hotel

Reviewed March 16, 2013

I stayed one night at this little boutique hotel. The young lady at reception was very helpful and welcoming as were the staff at breakfast. I stayed in an executive double room which hosted a king size bed and small 2 seater sofa. The bathroom was quite small but adequate although if you were staying longer then having no where to unpack your toiletries might be a pain. The shower was a reasonable size but have to say the 'power shower' was a little disappointing as it was lacking in 'power'. All that aside though it was very clean and had lovely large bath sheets which were white and fluffy. All in all a lovely little hotel but watch the prices - we were lucky enough to book just the day before and got a good £30 off. A very pleasant stay in a very clean hotel (yes I did the finger dust test) and would recommend it and certainly go back.

Room Tip: We had room 2 and no complaints other than the disappointing shower
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Ellie H, Manager at Florence House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2013

Thank you for reviewing the hotel. I am glad to hear that, apart from the shower, all was enjoyable with the stay. We are glad we passed the finger dust test - this is something we feel an absolute priority - cleanliness is a must!

many thanks and hope to see you again

Reviewed March 16, 2013

Our room was tastefully furnished and comfortable, the shower cubicle could have been cleaner though. Our original room was across the road so we had to walk outside for our breakfast which wasn't very nice, also our first room was very noisy being next to the front door but we complained and they moved us the next day to a lovely room at the top of the main house - the shower cubicle in this room was also not very clean. But all in all it was a great stay and when we go to Portsmouth again we will stay at Florence House.

Room Tip: Room 6 at the top of the house was very comfortable and quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review. I see you were upgraded on arrival to one of our Super King rooms, I am sorry this was noisy for you but glad you could then move to another Superior which suited you better. We will certainly be addressing the fact you found shower trays not up to our standards.

We do hope to see you again in the future.

Kind regards

Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is in the top 5 in Portsmouth for a reason. It was clean, cosy and fairly priced. My bed was very comfortable and the room spacious and clean. I had a lovely view from my bathroom across the houses. It really could not be faulted.

Breakfast was very tasty and the staff accommodating. Unfortunately, my colleague and I had a few problems with our hire car when there (unrelated to the hotel), but the staff made a point of checking we were ok/if we needed any help.

Overall if I returned to Portsmouth I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: March 2013

Thank you for your review, we are glad you enjoyed everything about the stay and hope to see you again.

Best regards

Reviewed March 13, 2013

Stuck in Portsmouth due to bad weather we were lucky enough to find this fantastic boutique hotel. Staff were very pleasant and helpful and arranged a breakfast to go for us as we had to leave very early the next morning. Rooms were spotlessly clean, warm and comfortable. The bed was lovely with white crisp bedding and fluffy pillows. The bathroom had luxury toiletries and huge towels. We stayed in room 7 which had everything we needed, TV, Tea and Coffee making facilities and free WIFI. We will definitely stay here again and have no hesitations in recommending this fantastic little gem.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your review, I am glad we could help you when you were stranded in Portsmouth! Breakfast to go is certainly popular and I am pleased you could take advantage of this and enjoyed the room allocated.

We hope to welcome you when you are next stopping in the area.

Best wishes

All at Florence

Reviewed March 7, 2013

Having tried it's sister hotel Stattons (across the road) last year. This time my wife and I decided to try Florence for one midweek night.
We had (mid priced) room #2. Which is the blue one pictured top left on their website gallery.
It is over the front door and faces the road. But you'd struggle to tell that as it was so quiet and peaceful. Beatifully decorated with it's white furniture. The bed is quite ornate, but not over the top, and was pretty comfortable. We both slept well.
The en-suite is very narrow, and features a shower, basin and toilet. Be careful bending over when getting dried. You may burn your backside on the towel rail!!!!
The door to the en-suite needs shutting properly or it will swing open to totally obscure view of the wall mounted tv when lying on the bed.
The shower I have to say was pretty weak. But certainly clean, like the rest of the hotel.
A decent continental breakfast was included. With Full English available at a supplement.
Parking, as others have said is on the street with a provided permit. It works. I didn't get a ticket from the warden.
Would I go back??? Yes. I am in July. Already booked.

Room Tip: The middle priced rooms have a settee. Cheaper ones I'm told do not.
1  Thank SteveNorthampton.UK

Thank you for your review we are pleased you found your room clean, quiet and comfortable. I'm glad parking was no issue for you and you enjoyed our breakfast service too.

We certainly are looking forward to welcoming you again in the Summer.

Best regards

Reviewed March 6, 2013

I say away a lot with work so spend a lot of time in hotels, usually I stay in chain hotels to get the loyalty points but this hotel is just too nice to miss. The rooms are all beautifully decorated and the service is always great. They even brought the take out I ordered up to my room for me with a tray and knife and folk. I've stayed here several times both with work and with my partner and its been great every time, great breakfast selection with peanut butter! Of the times I've stayed there no annoying kids ether which is always a plus. Great for both work and for a romantic getaway!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for leaving us a review - I'm pleased the hotel suited you for both your business and leisure needs.

We hope to welcome you and your partner again.

Kind regards