“Not surprised that it's in the top 3.”

Florence House Hotel
Ranked #3 of 38 Hotels in Portsmouth
Northampton. UK
“Not surprised that it's in the top 3.”
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Having tried it's sister hotel Stattons (across the road) last year. This time my wife and I decided to try Florence for one midweek night.
We had (mid priced) room #2. Which is the blue one pictured top left on their website gallery.
It is over the front door and faces the road. But you'd struggle to tell that as it was so quiet and peaceful. Beatifully decorated with it's white furniture. The bed is quite ornate, but not over the top, and was pretty comfortable. We both slept well.
The en-suite is very narrow, and features a shower, basin and toilet. Be careful bending over when getting dried. You may burn your backside on the towel rail!!!!
The door to the en-suite needs shutting properly or it will swing open to totally obscure view of the wall mounted tv when lying on the bed.
The shower I have to say was pretty weak. But certainly clean, like the rest of the hotel.
A decent continental breakfast was included. With Full English available at a supplement.
Parking, as others have said is on the street with a provided permit. It works. I didn't get a ticket from the warden.
Would I go back??? Yes. I am in July. Already booked.

Room Tip: The middle priced rooms have a settee. Cheaper ones I'm told do not.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SteveNorthampton.UK
Ellie H, Manager at Florence House Hotel, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
Thank you for your review we are pleased you found your room clean, quiet and comfortable. I'm glad parking was no issue for you and you enjoyed our breakfast service too.

We certainly are looking forward to welcoming you again in the Summer.

All at Florence House

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 6, 2013

I say away a lot with work so spend a lot of time in hotels, usually I stay in chain hotels to get the loyalty points but this hotel is just too nice to miss. The rooms are all beautifully decorated and the service is always great. They even brought the take out I ordered up to my room for me with a tray and knife and folk. I've stayed here several times both with work and with my partner and its been great every time, great breakfast selection with peanut butter! Of the times I've stayed there no annoying kids ether which is always a plus. Great for both work and for a romantic getaway!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for leaving us a review - I'm pleased the hotel suited you for both your business and leisure needs.

We hope to welcome you and your partner again.

Kind regards

All at Florence House.
Derby, England
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Overall this will be a good review, it is a shame that Tripadvisor do not have a Good rating which is what I would have given this hotel.
Portsmouth is not a cheap place so the value is probably about right, although I have stayed at Stattons the sister hotel which I thought was better for a couple of reasons.
Stattons has off road parking and although the hotel includes a road permit it is still not as secure in the tight roads in Southsea. Also we booked the Florence Hotel but were put into a building across the road Somerset House which was not made clear when booking. not a great problem really but an outdoor trip for breakfast.
The service was very good and helpful and the breakfast was very pleasant and filling and service again at breakfast very good.
The room was well appointed we had Room 4 in Somerset House, couple of points the bed was very creaky and woke you up turning over during the night, if would be even noisier for anything else! As in most convrted house hotels the sound proofing from room to room is not brialliant and you could people snoring in other rooms. One other annoying point was that the keetle lead would not allow you reach the table so the kettle was on the floor.
The rooms were spotless and the shower lovely.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review, it is always nice to welcome guests to our different properties across the group we have in Southsea.

I am sorry you did not like the parking arrangements at the hotel. Generally we do not find guests struggle with parking at all and the permit (free) works well. We are very pleased you experienced excellent reception and breakfast service from our staff and the breakfast suited you.

We hope to welcome you back to one of the group if you visit the area again.

Very best regards

All at Florence House.
in the wrong country
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Wanted to book a weekend away for my boyfriends birthday and as he likes history and boats, Portsmouth was an ideal place. We arrived just after noon which was 3 hours before check-in so we knew our room wouldn't be ready. The receptionist was lovely and said we could park in the off road space if available (3 spaces) or she would have given us a parking permit, parking in the entire Portsmouth/Southsea is a ridiculous price - £10 a day, and then gave us some pointers of places to go and eat or to wander around if we wanted which we did. She also said she would call when the room was ready, which she did. We actually ended up walking up to Gunwharf Quay which was about a 40 minutes stroll for us. Once back in the hotel we were shown our room which was lovely. We had the room downstairs which was a cosy room with an en suite shower and toilet. We both commented on how it felt like home rather than a hotel room. The only things we found that we would change (not complaints at all) would have been a heated floor in bathroom as it was freezing to stand on the tiles (at least in winter, summer it would have been fine) maybe a table or something in the bathroom to put washbags on that can't hang and a different blind in the bedroom as it did let the light in around the edge. The last one more me as I'm a light sleeper, it probably wouldn't bother anyone else!
We found the room quiet. WiFi worked perfectly. The bed was nice and comfy and the quilt was lovely. There was a kettle and selection of drinks available in room. There is also a bar at reception and when we ordered drinks they brought them to our room.
Breakfast in the morning was very good. Nice selection of cereals, fruit salads, juice etc with toast and hot croissants brought to you. We didnt try the cooked breakfasts that are available at a good price as the continental one was plenty for us but other people there had them and they looked good.
We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your comprehensive review and the suggestions which have been passed on to our management team. We are pleased you liked the stay overall and hope you will visit us again.

France
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Organizing our trip was nice and easy with the help of Ellie who was very quick at getting back to us via email. Booking was simple and I thought their website was very informative and full of pictures of the rooms etc. After booking I was excited to arrive.

After our 10hour journey from France the hotel was easy to find with our trusty sat nav, I would say the hotel is around 5/7min from the port. Ideal for people using the ferry.

We arrived at around 10:30pm and were greeted by a lovely girl I didn't catch her name, she showed us to our room and gave us a parking space. She informed us of the time of breakfast and said to call reception if we needed anything. She also mentioned on her way out of our room that we could have breakfast in bed at no extra cost which i thought was lovely.

As we were staying for 3 nights we went for and executive double which was actually in the sister hotel just across the street (Summerset House) you can see our room on the hotels Facebook page its cover picture 2. What a lovely room it was too. It was on the ground floor, the bed was comfy, the lay out was great, I had a dressing table which was wonderful, a wardrobe, full length mirror, digital tv and the decor was beautiful. Fresh and new! The coffee making facilities were a nice touch and a must for us british.

Bathroom - lovely, nice big towels and toiletries. I was missing a white toweling dressing gown though! The shower was good but there was a problem with the door (it didn't shut properly allowing loads of water to go on the floor outside the shower, other than those few things it was great.

Breakfast was nice, toast (white, brown, granery, mixed) jams, cereal, fresh fruit salad which was yummy, fruit juices, tea, coffee, croissants and a few other things this was all in the cost of the room. If you wanted a cooked breakfast there were different options for that too, this was at an extra cost I couldn't really comment on those as we didnt have any but they sounded nice on the menu. We opted for breakfast in bed on our second day... I was actually a little disapointed. There was no fresh milk with our tea and coffee, no butter and jam for the toast, one bowl of fresh fruit salad for 2 people. We did call reception about the butter and jam, we were brought 2 small jars and some butter, my partner went over the road for more fruit juice and the second bowl of fruit salad. Not what I call breakfast in bed to be honest, they could do to pay a bit attention to this unless of course it was just an off day.

Over all I was Very happy with our stay at the hotel and would return.

Thanks for a lovely stay! It helped us enjoy our stay knowing we had somewhere lovely to go after our shopping days and trips. Decor was lovely and location was brilliant, loads going on around, and ferry port very close, some wonderful resturants nearby too, we would recommend Jamie's Italian at Gunwharf Quays!!

Thanks again Florence House for a wonderful stay!

Room Tip: Room 8 is fab! check it out on their FB page (cover picture 2) this is a ground floor room nice an...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. It was a pleasure to help you select the ideal room for your stay via email and I'm pleased to hear you enjoyed the visit.

I am sorry to read about your breafast in bed service. This was certainly not up to our usual standard and we will be looking at why the normal breakfast in bed selection was not provided. Thank you for your understanding about this matter.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to review the hotel,

Sudbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 23, 2013

We were only staying for one night in Portsmouth and didn't want to stay in a large chain hotel. I found Florence House Hotel through Booking.com. We travelled as a group of four, my husband and I and my elderly parents. As soon as we arrived, Emma, our lovely receptionist sat us down and provided us with a pot of tea before checking us in. She then went out of her way to find us a restaurant by the sea and the taxi to take us there. It was a very nice welcome and the excellent service continued throughout our stay. The rooms and bathrooms were large, nicley decorated and spotlessly clean. A continental breakfast was provided within the price of our stay but a very good selection of reasonably priced cooked breakfasts were available. I had the fried eggs and bacon which were delicious, perfectly cooked with crispy bacon. Tea, coffee and toast were provided as soon as we sat down. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would like to say a big Thank You for looking after us so well.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for leaving such a lovely review for us. We are so pleased Emma looked after you well and you found the food, service and rooms suited you.

We hope to welcome you all for another visit.

Best wishes

Essex
Reviewed February 19, 2013

We arrived at the Florence House Hotel about 9pm.Described as Boutique. We rang the bell then read the notice to say the bell was not working and to knock on the door. As we stood waiting another couple stood behind us. We were greeted and ushered in then the couple behind us asked for directions. Suprisingly we were abandoned whilst the receptionist brought them in and gave directions without a word to us. Only then were we booked in. This left a bad taste after a long drive. A bit of acknowledgement would have been nice.
A parking permit has to be obtained to park in the street if arriving by car.
Our room was in the main house ,not huge but big enough for our one night stay. The bathroom is galley style with toilet one end and a shower at the other end which is superb. It has a curtain so inevitably there is a bit of distress on the bathroom wall outside the shower. Also the whole toilet moved sideways disconcertingly. Other than this the bathroom is extremely clean. The tiled floor is freezing and would benefit from a small rug but there is a wall mounted heater which soon warms the room. There were no glasses in the bathroom. The towels were really big and soft.
The bed was very comfortable , soft but supportive. There were however what appeared to be rust marks on the bottom of the duvet. A small half length wardrobe in the wall and a shabby chic desk with a couple of drawers were the main storage options. Sadly only one bedside table and one bedside lamp. Overall the room was well presented and again it was clean. There are plenty of plug sockets.
Internet is free but we couldnt get it to work in the room or public area.
Breakfast was continental but various other options are available at extra cost. A point to note was that we were the first couple in the breakfast room and it was freezing. Wear something warm. This is reflected in the butter which refused to spread. The milk had a strange twang so we left our cereal. We did mention it and they did offer to change it but we declined.
The amusing thing was the background music. It was merry-go-round hits. We were looking around for a barrel organ. It made us laugh which is usually tricky for me before 10am. This was then followed by what my partner called Monk Music, more like Gregorian Chant.
There is a small bar at reception .
Boutique, when used for hotels, is said to convey elite and specialized. Its a term that always leaves me suspicious when booking.
We got a last minute price but at full rack rate i would have been disappointed at the lack of attention to detail. Sometimes in quiet periods the owners/managers should try their own rooms.

1 Thank Containsnuts
Thank you for your review. We have noted carefully the points you have made and made some adjustments to our service including speaking to staff about your check in experience, adding a small rug to the bathroom you used and adjusting our breakfast music.

We are pleased you found the hotel clean and well equipped - certainly essential to a stay.

We do hope you will return to us soon and see the changes we have made.