“A smashing little hotel, perfect for my needs and I will use again”

Florence House Hotel and Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 39 Hotels in Portsmouth
Reviewed November 7, 2011

A great hotel, close to the seafront, with beautiful rooms all individually done. I really liked my room - it is not faultless, there are very minor signs of every day wear and tear but nothing whatsoever which detracted from my stay. I felt totally at home, slept very well indeed and enjoyed a very good breakfast - all fresh, with great choices. I loved it here, and will stay here every time I go to portsmouth on a regular work requirement.
Amazing value for money.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
DanielFlorencehouse, Manager at Florence House Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2011

Thank you for your review, we are glad you felt at home at the hotel and are looking to stay again in the future. It is important to us that we offer excellent value to our guests and I am pleased you have noted this also.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon,

Reviewed October 31, 2011

This was a really pleasant surprise - one of the nicest small hotels for the price that we've stayed in. The room was large and comfortable with a king sized bed and sofa. The staff were clearly ready to make our stay as pleasant as possible.
Because we were catching the early morning ferry we were surprised to find that the hotel still provided us with breakfast (inclusive) at the crack of dawn.

Room Tip: We had a top floor room which was very quiet.
1  Thank MegB701

Thank you for your kind comments about your room, early breakfast, and the service our staff provided, we always appreciate it when guests take the time to leave a review.

We hope to welcome you again,

Best regards

Reviewed October 30, 2011

I stayed at the Florence for one night with my wife. We had room 6 on the top floor which was describes as a Superior Room with Shower. The room itself was a nice size and well decorated and the bed, although low to the floor, was clean and comfortable. An issue we had though was that there was no lights above or anywhere near the mirror and small dressing table. This may sound trivial but to my wife who had to get ready for an important party it wasn't. We asked for an extra lamp so my wife didn't have to apply her make-up in gloomy and solitary light in the centre of the room but it never came. So she didn't have to go out looking like 'CoCo the Clown' (her words not mine), I had to move both the bedside lamps to the dressing table and remove their shades!! The reason she couldn't do her make up in the bathroom was;
i) I was in there having a shower
ii) The mirror in there was tiny! (but did look very nice!)

While on the subject of the bathroom, the tile grout in the shower was covered in mold as was the ceiling above it. I'm not sure the bathroom had been cleaned properly for weeks!

Lastly the included continental breakfast was very basic, cereals, toast and some very dry pre packaged mini muffins ....... Blaah! So we decided to go for the (very expensive) cooked option which was actually very nice despite the portion sizes. BUT at £8.50 for five items and £4.50 for a bacon sandwich on bread that tasted like 'Mothers Pride' it should have been!

Would I go back? At £95 a night probably not, there are a lot of other Boutique hotels in the Portsmouth area that advertised at the same sort of price that I would try first.

2  Thank TheBlondeFella

Thank you for taking the time to write a comprehensive review of your stay. Firstly I am pleased that you found the room comfortable, spacious and clean.

I am very disappointed to read that your bathroom was not cleaned to the high standards you should expect from a property like ours. This is unacceptable and I profusely apologise for this. We were most surprised to read of such a mould issue in the shower and have investigated and dealt with the matter swiftly. I am sorry if this no doubt spoilt the presentation of the bathroom and your stay.

The lighting issue has not been presented to us before but again, knowing the room you stayed in, I will address this. I am sorry if this was difficult for your wife getting ready for an important event when she should have felt relaxed and comfortable.

Regarding breakfast we found that not all guests wanted a cooked option and we decided to adjust the room rates down accordingly, and add a cooked option that was charged for, to ensure every guest was satisfied.

There certainly are other boutique properties in Portsmouth but we hope that you will try us again. Do contact us directly so we can offer you a complementary upgrade where availability allows and offer you a relaxed and enjoyable stay.

We hope to welcome you in the future,

Very best regards,

Reviewed October 30, 2011

Just returned from a night at this excellent hotel, on way back from France. Chris and Steve the owners, went out of their way to make our visit memorable. All the coffee, tea and sugar in the bedroom are fair traded, the bath towels are proper bath sheets (not the usual pocket hankies!) and the inclusive breakfast is great- excellcent high quality jams (Tip Tree) and my favourite Whole Earth Peanut Butter! I didn't miss a cooked breakfast-so much fresh fruit, lovely toast and good quality cereals. Helen our waitress was utterly charming- made sure we had everything. Soya milk was provided for me as I'm vegan. Nothing seemed too much bother. Steve and Chris are genuinely very warm and welcoming. A big plus- large very comfortable double bed and hige, deep bath. The room was very tasteful and the place has alot of character- we will certainly be back!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
DanielFlorencehouse, Manager at Florence House Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2011

Thank you for your kind words, we are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for taking the time to leave such a full review. We look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Chris and Steve

Reviewed October 27, 2011

The florence hotel is only small but is a great little place. All the rooms are extremely clean and comfortable with some thought gone in to the decor.Its a good position close to southsea front and shops.Only let down is English breakfast is charged extra, bit dissapointing.
Paid £69.00 for the double room.would have been excellent if not for the breakie!!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review, we are pleased you enjoyed your stay and found the room comfortable.

I am sorry you are disappointed regarding the charge for cooked breakfast, this is a decision we took after realising a lot of mid-week guests did not require a cooked breakfast as they were often rushing off early being business guests. As such we reduced our room rates slightly ensuring those who did not wish to have a cooked breakfast were not charged for it and those who did had the option available. We like to think our rates are very competitive for the area given the quality, service and comfort the hotel strives to provide.

Thanks again for your review and we hope to welcome you again in the future when you are next in the area.

Reviewed October 25, 2011

We stayed one night at The Florence House whilst visiting friends in Southsea and will be sure to stay again when we come back.

Our room was exceptionally comfortable and spacious with all the amenties you would need: kettle, teabags, hairdryer etc. The bathroom was also clean and very well designed aside from the shower curtain which didn't seem to want to stay on the rail and the shower head which sent water in random directions.

The staff were very helpful and friendly so that even when things didn't run smoothly it wasn't actually a problem: When we arrived the heating in our room wasn't working but by the time we got back from our night out it was mended and the bedroom and bathroom were both toasty warm.

The one small negative was the breakfast. We ordered continental breakfast in our room and first of all were delivered someone else's breakfast, and then when ours did arrive the toast was cold and the rest was a bit disappointing. Next time we'll get up and have the cooked breakfast in the dining room instead of being lazy !!!!

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 6 in the main house - very cosy under the rooftop, 3 flights up but lovely and qui...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you for leaving a review on Tripadvisor. I'm pleased you found the staff welcoming and friendly and liked your room, our Superior with Shower.

I am sorry to hear of the problems you experienced with the heating during your stay. We had been experiencing intermittent problems with our heating timer. This was a most frustrating problem for a business such as ours where guest comfort is so very important and we are pleased this was resolved during your stay.

Regarding breakfast, I am sorry to hear about this issue and I will be looking into the matter further to ensure it does not happen again.

We hope to welcome you again in the future,

Reviewed October 10, 2011

We spent 3 nights with Chris and the team at Florence House and really enjoyed it. The hotel is beautifully presented, the rooms clean and bright, the Internet fast and free, couldn't ask for more.

Room Tip: We stayed on the top floor and it was nice and quiet, no guests up and down the stairs outside our r...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you kindly for your review, we hope to welcome you again next year for Goodwood,

Best wishes