“Room like a sauna and terrible food”

Premier Inn Southsea Hotel
Ranked #14 of 39 Hotels in Portsmouth
Reviewed June 19, 2013

We stayed for a night prior to our ferry from Portsmouth.
Positive points: Spacious,clean room with usual Premier Inn quality bed.
Pleasant receptionist.

Room like a sauna. It was a sunny day and the window barely opened so hardly any ventilation and no sleep. The small fan provided in the room was useless.
Next to a fairground, but we knew about this and it closed at 1000.
Noisy bar customers outside our room.
Awful food. Sent my wife's back twice because it was not cooked.
Flat beer.
Some really rough bar customers who were using foul language. We did not have kids with us but if we had it would have been really bad.

I will never stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
WhitbreadHotels, Online Customer Service at Premier Inn Southsea Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

Thank you for your review. At Premier Inn it remains our main objective to provide guests with a comfortable stay and deliver a high level of service in all our establishments, both in our hotels and restaurants. We sincerely apologise that on this occasion we failed provide this. Please be assured that your comments will be duly followed up by Guest Relations and the Management Team at this hotel. We hope to welcome you back to Premier Inn in the future.

Reviewed June 12, 2013

Business stay for 2 weeks.
Staff were great, found me same room when I returned for my second week, which was lovely looking out over the fairground and the Solent.
Clean, comfy, homely rooms. Adjoining Brewers Fayre gave great service too.
I've stayed in a number of hotels in 2013 travelling around the country in my job, some of them very posh and smart, but I will always look back fondly on my time in Southsea.
Brilliant place and would recommend it to one and all.

Room Tip: Take a trip up the Spinnaker Tower.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 11, 2013

We enjoyed our stay, the room was clean, the bed very comfortable, showers were good. The best was the friendly and helpful staff, they could not do enough to make our stay enjoyable.
The locating is good, right on the beach, close to the wharf area and a lovely walk along the foreshore. The only negative was that since it backs onto the funfair it was a bit noisy at night. However, this was a small point compared with all the positives, and we slept well there.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 11, 2013

We had two rooms for two nights. Enjoyed being able to see the sea - just about - and watch the ferries going past. Room was exceptionally clean and furnishings good quality. Bed linen was soft and welcoming after two long days. The booking info clearly states that there is an amusement arcade close by and yet we weren't bothered at all by any noise.
Staff were very welcoming and friendly. We were invited to book breakfast and dinner next door in the Brewers Fayre. The food served in the evening was poor quality and although the staff were friendly, helpful and trying their best we made sure to find somewhere else for the next night! Premier Inn easily rate a 4.5 but I would struggle to give the restaurant more than 2.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 4, 2013

I had a good 2 night break whilst visiting for a friends stag party.

The location on the seafront is very good, it is about 15-20 minutes walk from the station in the town and I took advantage of some very pleasant early morning walks along the long seafront. You can walk to Gunwharf in about 20 minutes.

The staff are all very friendly, polite and helpful. The room was big, clean and comfortable. The breakfast was up to the high standard I have experienced at other Premier Inns and it was nice to have a sea view whilst eating.

The only small negative was the noise from the floor above (heavy feet banging on the floor), this hotel appears to be less well insulated against noise between rooms than most Premier Inns I have stayed at. This wasn't a big issue as I wear earplugs and I am sure my room could have been changed if needed.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank NorthernPasty
Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

Great view from our room,you could see all the ships passing by,also there's a funfair there which is ideal if you have children.We then went to the Old Portsmouth Harbour which was a 10 minute walk away and had a meal in the Still and West pub overlooking the sea.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights in May at either end of a trip to France. The hotel is very handy for Brittany Ferries and we had no particular problems although we found the resturant poor in both ambience and food quality - you don't have to eat there it's a bit of a walk to any alternatives. It was fine for breakfast which was standard Premier Inn style. My ratings are for the hotel only and not the restaurant. There is very limited parking on-site (clearly stated on the Premier web site but I missed it on Booking.com)although if you can get a space it is mostly covered which is good. There is free overnight on street parking but charges kick-in at 8am. The receptionist told us this in case we couldn't get a space in the hotel car park but we were lucky both times. The room was typical Premier Inn - no frills but clean and comfortable. This hotel is surrounded by amusement arcades although we had rooms at the front and the noise didn't penetrate. There are good walks along the seafront in both directions.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple