“Very average fare”

12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Very average fare”
Reviewed April 3, 2014

We ate here prior to an evening in Central Portsmouth. The food was below average to put it mildly. Out of the 6 courses between the two of us only 2 came up to the mark. The chef seems to think that Balsamic vinegar is needed with most dishes. Advertised as traditional english a la carte food this sadly falls short of the mark. One Sweet advertised as the Sweet of the day consisted of a very sour kiwi with ice cream and a slice of very 'cheap' multilayered sponge slapped on top of it.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank martin s

Waterlooville, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Have no idea”
Reviewed March 24, 2014

This is my first review, because I don't want anyone else to fall into a trap with this hall/restaurant.

Firstly we ordered the house wine, which I had to ask for two glasses might I add. was room temperature... not chilled.

Secondly, I chose to start was the soup of the day, I jokingly said to my girlfriend that I bet they give me Heinz soup, which they did! I couldn't believe it.

Thirdly, my girlfriend ordered the Salmon, which came out hard and not cooked, we sent it back to be given a free bottle of wine, again which was room temperature.

The waiter really didn't have a clue what he was doing. I'm not one to moan or give bad reviews, but I do not want anyone else going to this awful place!

Visited March 2014
2 Thank CulinaryFan
Portsmouth, England, United Kingdom
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“excellent food but for the rest????”
Reviewed March 15, 2014

We booked a table over a week ago for an early dinner at 5.30 following an appointment with the director with a view to booking a wedding. We were th only people eating but there was a children's dancing school rehearsing that required feeding at about 6pm. We asked where to sit and were told at either of the tables for four, neither of them were set. We had to make ourselves known to the chef and the reason we were there (to try the food with a view to booking the wedding). We were asked if we wanted a drink by the chef but he didn't know what they had so we were invited behind the bar to view. We chose bottled lager and coke. Whilst at the bar 2 members of staff caused a scene at the bar and the chef sent them back to the kitchen We were advised by the chef that he was new and was going to offer us fine dining. The lager came to the table in the bottle and the coke in a glass with no lemon or ice. The chef apologised for the unprofessionalism of the staff. we given the menu and after 15 mins a waiter came to ask what starters we required. He did not know what the soupof the day was so went to find out,then returned and took orders from 3 of us for starters only, he retuned after 5 minutes to say there was no goats cheese so to order something else. The starters were served and were ok except we had to request cutlery which the waiter had to go and fetch and then didn't set the table or provide condiments or napkins. Then after being ignored for some 30mins whilst the children wereservedtheir pizzas and chips he came to take our order for the main course and then we waited 50 mins with no attention whilst people started to arrive for the evening performance and were ordering drinks which the chef was serving. Eventually our meals arrived but again no cutlery which we had to request. The four meals were off ample size and the meat chicken, beef, pork and salmon were all beautifully cooked and plentiful, however the veg was overcooked and we were somewhat put off by waiting so long. We asked to use the loo and the downstairs disabled loo was unlocked, it was disgusting, wet floor, leaking cistern, dirty pan etc, extremely off putting. So all in all we ere disappointed, when asked if our meal was ok we stated we had to wait too long and were offered an apology and a free drink but we didn't want to wait any longer so declined. We all felt with a little more attention to detail the hole experience could have been greatly improved. I know feel the opportunity for a wedding booking may well not happen and a venue that's so quirky and with a lot to offer with lose much needed revenue and publicity.

Visited March 2014
2 Thank LC180660
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Birthday adult meal family”
Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

We have a taster card and looked up restaurants in portsmouth the Theatre and Restaurant came up we booked on line 3 courses 17.50 with taster 50% off. The pictures looked amazing we entered the very old building/theatre one long table set up with candlabras and lace wrapped around them and sone round tables old fashioned costume on maniquins around that you can hire out really good prices. You can also hire out the upstairs venue for parties. It was like stepping back in time. Now for the main event food starters were lovely all freshly cooked and locak ingredienrs frenc onion soup, pate, mushrooms, bruchetta, fruit. Mains steak, fish ,chicken and desserts this food was amazing i would recommend this restaurant which is not well known has own car park

1 Thank elaine1408
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Murder Mystery 20 December 2013”
Reviewed December 27, 2013

MURDER MYSTERY 20th December ~
What a massive disappointment. After the first 20 meals or so were given out (of 90+ people), they run out of roast potatoes, roast parsnips and Yorkshire pudding. Subsequent meals were served with one piece of broccoli and two pieces of cauliflower, both cold. By the time the vegetarian meals came out, there were no exotic or roasted vegetables left. The meals came out covered in cold single cream with lumps of cheese (not sure if it was supposed to be a cheese sauce - it wasn't).
Excuses were made about there only being one chef. Not valid in my opinion. They took the bookings, and the money, they should have been prepared to deliver what we'd paid for. A very basic requirement, having enough food to feed people. Service was haphazard, done by meal type instead of table-by-table. Both the desserts were dry. By the time the jug of cream arrived, most people had finished.
The Murder Mystery element left a lot to be desired as well. Three very short scenes in between the food debacle. Not a lot of audience interaction. We were left listening to a script and participating in a mystery.
Would I recommend Groundlings Theatre again? NO. I will give them a second chance for a free meal but not as things stand at the moment.

Visited December 2013