“You pay for the location”

Holiday Inn Express Portsmouth - Gunwharf Quays
Ranked #20 of 39 Hotels in Portsmouth
Reviewed June 1, 2014

Just spent one night at the Holiday Inn. We came to spend the day in Gunwharf and then take our daughter home from Uni. It was just what I expected. A basic room but clean. Free Wi-Fi is a nice touch, but in my opinion breakfast should be scrapped and the price per night reduced accordingly. We paid £136 and for that you could get a lovely hotel on the outskirts, however it is all about the location which is fab.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ValS14
Tom S, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Portsmouth - Gunwharf Quays, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. As you kindly mentioned we are in an excellent location being on Gunwharf Quays which has 90 different retail outlets and over 30 bars and restaurants. Our breakfast offering is in line with the brand gudelines but i will difinitely pass on your comments. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,335)

Reviewed May 29, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for a fairly long period, two weeks to be precise so that I could arrange my fathers funeral and his estate. The fluctuating rate is not great especially at our exchange rate and for the basic offerings..
The staff are friendly, open and helpful. It is well placed for restaurants and shops.
I have read some of the reviews some which may be over the top in complaints.
Owning an establishment myself overseas; I see problems immediately and know they won't go away unless fixed and people will continue to complain which is not good for the image of the hotel. TripAdvisor is very popular and ppotential guest take note of the reviews.
1. The carpets are in a terrible state and even though they are old they could be shampooed or spot cleaned..I have been told that they are waiting for a quiet time to replace carpeting on all floors, I think they can't wait, parts are threadbare. I wonder if the CEO is even aware how bad it is.
2. The general cleanliness is good, I checked the obscure places!
.Rooms need to be made up a lot quicker. I was out all morning and came back to an unmade room. NOT GOOD!
3. Although the beds have good linen and it is pristine clean; it is strange that the pillows do not have pillow protectors and the mattress does. The pillows are a bit old and lumpy and need replacing with re-puffable ones both soft and firm. The mattresses are not great and need to be a lot firmer. I had two different rooms as my sister was with me for the first week so I know it is probably the same for all rooms. The last room mattress had dips where people sleep!
I like others also do not like having my undies or other personal items for that matter on display a simple hanging cupboard would be better. I never travel with too much valuables but I am sure most guests would like the option to have a safe in the room for convenience.
4. There are many complaints about the breakfast which is all true but the management still continue to put their heads in the sand and do nothing. Bacon is a stalwart of an English breakfast and empty hot boxes gives a feeling that guest are missing out and have arrived too late. This was heard in the serving area a few days ago. Either scrap the breakfast entirely or offer a proper one for a low price that can be included in the room rate with choice of eggs plus bacon, tomato and baked beans toast. Fruit needs to be fresh and NOT tinned. This smacks of laziness and in this time of obesity one doesn't need to offer fruit in sugary syrups! A simple fruit salad without banana or apple would be great or just a bowl of fruit so guest can take what they fancy. There must be wonderful local producers in the area, use them they are usually more reasonable and have better produce.
5. A small fridge in each room would be great for cold water and ice.
I hope that this review is constructive and take in the light is was given.
I wish you every success in your endeavors to offer budget accommodation in these expensive times. Hopefully the change you need to make will do just that.

Room Tip: Make sure you mention which type of room you want when booking otherwise they just put you in any ty...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Shikwari
Tom S, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Portsmouth - Gunwharf Quays, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2014

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel. All IHG branded hotels work on dynamic pricing strategy, we are sorry to hear that the fluctuating rate was a bit misleading. For long stay guests we are able to set the price based on the information provided (length of stay, peak season etc.)

Thank you very much for your kind comments with regards to our staff, I will make sure your feedback is received.

Our head housekeeper has also been made aware of the wait you had had for the room to be made up. The pillow replacement programme is already in place and we hope to rectify this problem shortly.

As per our brand guidelines we do provide safety deposit boxes at reception only, likewise our Holiday Inn Express breakfast is a continental breakfast, offering only a selection of 'hot favourites' to include scrambled egg, beans & sausages.

Your feedback will be invaluable to us in improving our guest experience. We would welcome the opportunity to have you stay wirh us again, should you find yourself in Portsmouth again.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

I had a business meeting in Portsmouth on the 27th so took the opportunity to travel down on the bank holiday with the wife and stay overnight in the Holiday Inn.
The location of the hotel is first class allowing access to a superb array of shopping and restaurants. The hotel at £94 per night is not the best value but the location makes it acceptable. I would expect the rooms to be clean rather than top show clean. The breakfast which is labelled as complimentary is very poor to say the least and is hardly complimentary at £94 per night. if you are stying here it is functional but nothing special so do not expect whistles and bells because they are lacking. I do have to compliment the reception staff on their courtesy and general demeanor. I would be disapointed with the hotel if i had paid for it myself for a short break.

Room Tip: Choose the premier Innand get what you pay for.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business

Thank you very much for your comments on your recent.
Our rooms are priced competitively within the Portsmouth area. As per Holiday Inn Express standards we do provide continental breakfast, offering only a selection of 'hot favourites' to include scrambled egg, beans & sausages. This is a complimentary feature as we do not offer a room only package. We are glad to hear that our staff have managed to provide you with a great service. Please do consider staying with us in the future, we hope to see you again.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

This hotel is a good place to stay for shopping and restaurants. We stayed for one night in room 140. The room was large and was on the side of the hotel that over looked some of the shops. We stayed on bank holiday Monday just for the one night and we didn't hear any noise from the night club, some people say that it's noisy but perhaps it is at the weekends?
Free WiFi which was good and free breakfast. Breakfast at 9am on Tuesday was very good. Shower was powerful with plenty of hot water. Parking is in the general carpark (free parking for hotel users whilst booked in) and we took ages finding somewhere to park - but then it was at 12.15pm on bank holiday Monday!!
Staff were very helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: Room 104 was on the ground floor - the last one at the end of a corridor, on the corner. Facing the...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your kind feedback. We are glad to hear that you have enjoyed your stay at our hotel. We provide complimentary Wifi and breakfast across Holiday Inn Express UK. We hope to see you again in Portsmouth

Reviewed May 21, 2014

Am in Portsmouth attending a course, paid for by my company.
Let's start this review by stating that the one thing this place has got going for it is its location.
If you're coming down for the shopping or to visit the many tourist attractions and are going to be out of the room all day then it is worth considering staying here.
I must admit I hadn't researched the Express brand so was quite shocked at how basic the rooms are. As a business traveller I stay in a lot of hotels, mainly 4/5 star.
In line with the other reviews posted there is only 1 lift working, very slowly, which seems to have a mind of its own. There are no safes in the room. In reception there are safety deposit boxes but these do not cater for larger items such as laptops although you can leave items at reception.
It can be quiet noisy at night even though I am staying towards the rear of the hotel. You may also be woken up by the noise of trains from the station nearby.
Towels in the room are off-white in colour and very thin. They become very wet very qucikly. Hand soap and shower gel are in dispensers fixed to the wall - no shampoo, conditoner or other nice toiletries are supplied.
Disgusting shower curtain which didn't look like it's been cleaned/changed in some time, although today it has been!
Sofa bed in room which I wouldn't dream of sitting on - photo attached.
Very limited storage drawer space which is all open so underwear on display to the housekeeping staff should you decide to unpack your case!
Carpet fraying in public areas.
Didn't have breakfast although included in room rate - I went to Costas everyday.
The main issue I have is that the room is not somewhere I want to spend several hours working in after my course has finished - room feels depressing.
Minor detail - but a list of tv channels could be noted in the room. Have previously stayed at the Hilton when in Portsmouth and although it is a drive in every day and I have to pay for parking I'm undecided as to which is the worst of the two evils - staying here or driving in everyday.

Room Tip: If you don't want to be disturbed by the casino ask for a room at the rear.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Portsmouth - Gunwharf Quays, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2014

Dear Micheleuxbridge,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the room layout prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed May 14, 2014

Had a lovely weekend away. Rooms were spacious and fresh. Shower was lovely and bathroom was clean. Lovely central location in the middle of Gunwharf. Only downside being the noise from the nightlife at the weekends but that can't be helped. Food was a bit naff though. Got down nice and early and everything was still cold and stale. Would give that a miss!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Katymon
Tom S, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Portsmouth - Gunwharf Quays, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2014

Thank you very much for your feedback and for your excellent comments on our rooms.

Our food is regularly checked for freshness and temperature to maintain standards and food safety, I am really sorry to hear that this has detracted from your stay.

We hope to welcome you to our hotel again.

Reviewed May 13, 2014

So its slap bang in the middle of Gunwharf Quays.....and that is brilliant.
Car park was easy to find (no dedicated car park for the hotel but you get discounted rate as you stay at the hotel - cost me £2 for just over 48 hours)
reception were polite - even asked us if we wanted the side facing into the quays (noisy) or the quiet side - bless - chose the quiet side...

such a good location - you come out and all the bars and restaurant are right next to you....the shopping is barely 2 minutes away - even a tesco local on the corner...

had a good stay over a friday to a sunday

only marginally disappointing thing - the breakfast area was a wee bit small - saturday morning fine but sunday morning it was wait for a table - the food area too was a tad small and tight (I am vegetarian so i wont moan about the actual breakfast)

oh dont have the juice its vile!

coffee aint much better out the machine...

oh oh the room - was fine good size double bed, a tv and a desk.....wardrobe was fine for two of us for two nights....bathroom was good to - oh my the shower was pretty good - used to nasty naff ones but it was great....

so all in all 4/5......

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for your feedback.

We are glad that you have enjoyed your stay with us. Our staff are doing their upmost to ensure that all tables are used as efficiently as possible. We apologise that you have had to wait and we will be reassessing our breakfast service plan to further try to improve recent changes and optimise our guests experience at breakfast.

Thank you very much for kind comments about our rooms.

We would like to welcome you again should you find yourself in Portsmouth.