Holiday Inn Express Portsmouth - Gunwharf Quays
Ranked #21 of 38 Hotels in Portsmouth
Margate, United Kingdom
“Average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2014

The location of this hotel is fantastic, right next to the shops, bars, restaurants, tourist attractions etc. I think Holiday Inn may take advantage of this with its prices as the hotel itself is a little on the shabby side!
Our room 319 was a 'family room' for three people on a girly weekend and therefore cost us more money than a normal double room...even though the only difference was someone had to turn the old fashioned sofa into an uncomfortable bed! The UPVC around the window had brown stains around it and black mold in the corners...bed was a bit lumpy and moved across the floor when you sat on it! Breakfast was sparse in the morning. However the bathroom was modern and clean. Overall if it wasn't for the location of this hotel we would have been highly disappointed!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Tom S, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Portsmouth - Gunwharf Quays, responded to this review, May 1, 2014
Thank you very much for your recent feedback. We agree that our hotel is in a fantastic location. We strive to provide the best facilities possible for all of our guests. It is a necessity for us to offer family rooms as a cost effective alternative for families or groups, to booking multiple rooms. I am sorry that you felt that the furniture in our room was at times uncomfortable; I will get it investigated as a priority. We are in the roll out phase of our breakfast improvement, with the specific intention of improving availability and presentation at key times. I apologise you have experienced these problems and hope that you would choose to stay with us again if you were in Portsmouth.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2014

We booked this hotel for its perfect location, right in the heart of Gunwharf Quays with restaurants, bars, extensive shopping and tourist sights of the historic dockyard and Spinnaker Tower all within a few minutes walking distance. After reading the reviews I was a little apprehensive about what it would be like, but decided that we were only there for one night so we'd put up with it.
I have to say though, we were pleasantly surprised. I think some reviewers need to remember this hotel is part of the 'Express' brand and can therefore not be expected to be of luxury standard. That said, we did find the quality of the room, bed and bathroom to be much better than expected.
I do agree with the many comments about carpets - they are badly in need of replacement, both in the corridors and rooms, as stains on carpets do not give a good impression. I see that carpet replacement is planned soon, which is good. Cleanliness of the floors could also do with some attention. It looked like it could do with a really good vacuum! There really is no excuse for this. Those were my only gripes though.
The staff on reception were extremely friendly and welcoming. Staff in the breakfast area were also excellent, paying close attention to cleanliness and clearing away tables promptly.
The breakfast I thought was excellent, for a free, inclusive breakfast. Plenty of choice of cereals, juice, tea, coffee, toast, pastries, fruit, yoghurt and hot food. If you really need a full english breakfast there are plenty of places within walking distance that you can go and buy one.
Free wifi in the rooms was very welcome. There are still plenty of hotels that charge a a fortune for wifi.
Free car parking during our stay was also appreciated.
All in all we had a very pleasant stay. With replaced carpets and more attention to cleanliness of the floors I would give this 5 stars. I hope to be able to do so when I visit again.

2 Thank HelenMR30
Tom S, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Portsmouth - Gunwharf Quays, responded to this review, April 24, 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel. We agree that our location is a strength and I am glad that you have enjoyed your stay here. With regards to cleanliness, we carry out regular audits in public areas and rooms with a high standard of compliance expected, and I am sorry that you felt this was an issue. Thank you for the compliments with regards to service, I will pass it on to the team. We hope that you stay with us again should you be in Portsmouth again any time in the future.
Birmingham
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2014

Firstly, I would advise anyone with a disability that impaired their walking to look elsewhere.
Also, anyone with even an inkling of a lack of patience, go stay somewhere else.
This hotel has 4 floors, inluding the lobby and reception. It has 2 lifts.
One lift does not work at all. It is switched off, and from other reviews, it seems to have been switched off for a while.
The other lift has a mind of its own. It does not do what you ask it to do. You can call it from the 3rd floor, and you can see that it is at the 3rd floor. It will not open to let you in.
By the 2nd day of our stay we had given up on it entirely and used the stairs every time.
Every member of staff that we met commented on how useless the lifts were and they all used the stairs.
This is not really taking control of the problem is it? If I was the manager, I simply would not accept this.
My other niggle... As an IHG rewards member, I was offered a late checkout of 1pm, which I took advantage of.
However, my room card was expired at the normal checkout time. Because of the stupid lifts this meant running up and down the stairs even more times, to get my card reactivated.
I apologise now to the lady on reception, but if you had been in my situation, and just had to walk up to the top floor, then all the way back down then up again, you'd be pretty angry too.
The room itself was quite small, but functional. The view over the central plaza of Gunwharf Quays was very nice.
Would I stay here again? I'm not sure... The lifts honestly made me so angry. Its even worse that no one is doing anything about it.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your valuable feedback. We do apologise for the ongoing problem with the lifts. You have correctly identified that one of the lifts is switched off, there is an ongoing serious design fault with this lift and we are waiting for approval from the city authority to remedy this with extensive works. I do apologise that we had a problem with the other lift we do aim to resolve problems with this lift as quickly as possible, when they arise but due to the complex nature of lift repair a technician is required we had to wait for this call out. We again apologise that this issue has impacted your stay and hope that you will stay with us in the future, once we resolve the issue.
Kent, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014

I have been staying at this hotel for business and pleasure ever since it was opened (I would guess thats about 10 years).

It is in a great location on Gun Wharf Quays and I have always enjoyed my stays. However, I hadn't visited for two years or so and it is really noticeable that there has been no investment in upgrades or remodelling.

The hallway carpets are all badly worn and, worse, stained, as were the those in the bedrooms. Further one of only two lifts was out of action on the day of our arrival and was still not working or attended to prior to departure. To compound the problem, the second lift broke down also just before we departed (No Lifts!)...this shows how important it is to get things attended to when they go wrong....we departed on Good Friday and they were full that night!

Unlike when it first opened, its desirability location wise means that it is no longer particularly good value given the "Holiday Inn Express" style of accommodation... we paid over £100 pn.

I am surprised that the IHG group allow their brand to be damaged in this way...a cosmetic makeover would not cost a fortune but would make so much difference to the experience.

On the plus side, the staff at check in were really friendly and accommodated an early check in (this efficientcy was sadly not repeated on check out, the member of staff appeared clueless and refuted the fact that both lifts were out of action!!..what a cheek)

I really like staying at Gun Wharf and have always chosen this hotel when its been available, but unless it receives some TLC, I am going to rethink this for my next visit. Pity...

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, ask for a higher floor or to be in rooms that are odd numbers -as whilst...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your valuable feedback. I am pleased to hear that you are a repeat guest with our hotel and endeavour to ensure this remains the case. I am sorry to hear that you feel the hotel is in need of some attention, this is something we have identified and have a robust refurbishment plan in place. I am glad that you are pleased with your check in experience, I apologise profusely that check has left you disappointed. Our staff should not be contradicting guests from reporting experiences and the front desk team have been briefed with regards to this.
I do hope to see you at our hotel in the future.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014

I was tossing up whether to go with the chain or independent hotel for our overnight stay before going to the Isle of Wight. Although I did not expect a fabulous breakfast, both from past experience and the reviews, I liked the idea of something known. To me, the Holiday Inn Express at Portsmouth Gunwharf Quays, was a pleasant surprise. Although I usually find Holiday Inn Express acceptable, I thought this one was the best of my experiences with this chain. The staff (as usual) were very helpful, allowing us into our room early, and when the lifts were not working on our departure swiftly offering assistance with the luggage. The bed was excellent in a room of reasonable proportions, there is a full length mirror, windows that open, the bathroom was a reasonable size and the towels reasonably generous. The breakfast was what one could expect, and I thought that the range was adequate - sausages, scrambled egg, toast, pastries and fruit. Coffee and tea were also available, of course. The location is excellent for shopping, eating at the numerous restaurants on the harbour side or Jamie's Italian just below, catching the catamaran to the Isle of Wight/alighting from the train from London. Only one complaint, the room smelled of cigarette smoke when we first entered. Opening the window sorted this out, and I saw no need to bother the busy reception.

Room Tip: I am not averse to noise so having a room with the window open on the mall side of the hotel was not...
2 Thank cindylou45
Thank you very much for your kind comments. It is great to hear that you have enjoyed your time at our property. We are pleased that you have enjoyed all the facilities on offer and agree that our location helps set us apart in the Portsmouth area. We strongly believe that Holiday Inn Express brand adds value to the hotel and I am pleased that this was a factor in you choosing the hotel. Should you be in Portsmouth again it will be a pleasure to welcome you to the hotel again.
Staffordshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2014

We stayed one night here after returning from France on the ferry and our train home wasn't until the next day. Check in was easy and the receptionist was very pleasant. The reception is on the first floor which isn't a problem except one of the lifts wasn't working and a sign indicated that earlier in the day both had been out of operation. I see a reviewer from a week ago reports the same issue so this is something they need to sort asap. Our room was fab- spotlessly clean, very spacious and a good sized bathroom and shower. Really couldn't fault the room at all. However, the breakfast really lets this hotel down. The cooked breakfast consists of tasteless sausage, beans and scrambled egg. How can you offer a cooked brekkie with no bacon?! Although there was plenty of other stuff on offer, it was very awkward to negotiate as the buffet area is very cramped and it's difficult to try and serve yourself whilst making sure your tray doesn't go flying. This hotel is expensive; the room was worth it, the breakfast definitely not. I'd rather pay less and skip breakfast.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us.
We are sorry to hear that you have experienced some issues with facilities at the hotel. As previously mentioned we will be implementing a second breakfast buffet to remedy some of the service issues at breakfast. As a Holiday Inn Express our breakfast is consistent with our brand throughout the UK, to compliment a wide selection of continental items, we serve a selection of hot foods to include sausage, baked beans & scrambled egg. We are aware of an ongoing problem with the lifts and are working hard to resolve it. Should you visit Portsmouth again for any reason in the future, we hope to see you again.
Esbjerg, Denmark
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2014

Up Sides:
The frontdesk was very nice and helpful.
The room was clean, comfortable and spacious.
Cleaning and Service in breakfast was in top

Down Sides:
The rooms aircon didn't cool the room down enough. It was stuck at too high temperature.
The breakfast was very poor. Not that big selection. And running out if you are not there early enough. And there is not enough room around the buffet for all the people trying to get food at the same time...

Conclusion is:
Nice and clean hotel, with good service all around. But with these cheap prices, you have to expect that they cut down on some stuff.
Recommendable with a small minus.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you very much for your comments, both positive & negative as a hotel we take the views of our guests seriously, creating action plans to work upon identified issues. It is great to hear that you have found the cleanliness and the service at the very good standard. Our Maintenance perform routine air conditioning checks in all the bedrooms on a regular basis, I am sorry that you have experienced this problem. With regards to the problem at breakfast, we will now provide an additional buffet at peak times in order to ease the flow and improve our breakfast experience.
Should you choose to visit Portsmouth again we hope to see you again.