“Great location but overpriced and still bedlam at breakfast!”

Holiday Inn Express Portsmouth - Gunwharf Quays
Ranked #19 of 39 Hotels in Portsmouth
Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

I am a priority member and have to stop at this hotel regularly yet despite being a priority member my room was not available until 2.45 a good 45 mins after usual check in time. We then checked in only to find the bathroom had a leak and as hotel was full nothing could be done about it.

However, the lady in charge did refund 20% which I think was fair under circumstances. Beds comfy and we slept well and the best thing about the hotel is the location as you can walk everywhere around Gun Wharf.

Breakfast is chaotic as there are just not enough tables for the capacity and despite coming down early before 9 there were no tables. Tea and coffee good but had run out of sausage and beans. I think you need to be there for 8 at weekends in order to get decent service and food. This is a bit early for most people. We booked an advance saver so got a good deal but if I'd paid full rate I would have been disappointed!

• Stayed: March 2013
RJTodd, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Portsmouth - Gunwharf Quays, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent stay, I am really sorry that you room was not ready for you when you arrived, our normal check in time is 2pm and we do always have rooms available at this time, please be assured that this is not the usual standard of service at my hotel and I will be looking into why your room was not ready at the correct time. I am also sorry that there was a maintenance problem in your room, this has now been rectified and I am pleased that the team were able to resolve the problem with you.
Breakfast can be a very busy time for us therefore we do advise guests of the peak times on check in, we do our best to ensure that tables are cleared and cleaned as quickly as possible and that food is replenished on a regular basis to ensure it is hot and fresh for all our guests. Once again many thanks for the review, your comments really are appreciated and will help us to continue to improve our hotel.

Reviewed March 2, 2013

I really felt Holiday Inn Express Portsmouth has let down the rest of the team. I've been a priority club member for over 10 years staying at many Holiday Inn/Expresses and this hotel is not up to the usual Holiday Inn standard. The hotel needs to change the carpets and re- vamp the hallways. Despite it's shortfalls the location of this hotel is fabulous, just walk out the doors and you are in Gun Wharf Quays which is a shopping and eaters paradise. The area is rich in history and there are many things to do. This is a good hotel is you are staying just a night but if you are staying for any longer I suggest you look for other options. Getting around is easy, there are a train and coach stop just 2 minutes walk from the hotel, and Gun Wharf Quays is easy to walk around.

I found check in easy but staff rarely made eye contact during our 5 night stay. Reception always seemed to run smoothly but never any conversation from staff, just running through the motions, staff doing the bare minimum. Our room was cleaned daily and the lady cleaners worked hard. We had fresh towels daily although communication was difficult as English was not their first language.

I was shocked to pay the 50 pound for internet, but when you need to communicate what else can you do but pay this ridiculous fee. There was also the option to pay a pound for 10mins at a computer in the reception area but this area is at the entrance to the dining hall and is busy with people coming and going so absolutely no privacy.

Our room had stains on the furniture and walls and the carpets were awful, marks everywhere. There is no fridge or safe in the room. I found the plastic cups wrapped in a plastic cover left in our bathroom just tacky. The hallways need a total revamp, the carpet is badly stained and coming apart at the seams. Walls are marked and the general feel walking to your room and seeing it like this is depressing. Surprising I had a Ok nights sleep in a very small and squeaky bed. I heard my neighbours snoring and heard the alarm going off in other rooms.

Breakfast was good, if they could just replace the "out of a packet leathery scrambled eggs" and make real scrambled eggs from real eggs it would be great. The eggs do not even look edible, they do not have taste or smell. There is plenty of tea and coffee, fresh juice, fruit, pastries, cereal etc all very nicely displayed and a makes for a great start to the day.

There are plenty of options to eat outside of the hotel. Try Old Customs House for a lovely Roast on a Sunday or my favourite during my stay Brasserie Blanc for a lovely meal, great service and atmosphere. Located just 50 metres from the ground floor of the hotel, this restaurant is a real gem.

I really just think we were forgotten during our stay, there was no paper left outside our door and as we had paid in full prior to our arrival, they had our money, changing hotels was not an option. There was no communication from any staff during our stay. It would be nice if on check in staff could ask the purpose of the visit and perhaps suggest some local attractions. Check out was swift and impersonal.

I would recommend a visit to Portsmouth, during the summer months this place would be lovely but research your hotel options. If you are looking at location and you are not fussy on cleanliness than this hotel may well suit you.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to review the hotel following your recent stay, I am really sorry to read that your stay was not as enjoyable as it could have been. As you say the hotels location is fantastic situated on Gunwharf Quays with over 95 retail outlets, over 25 restaurants & bars & attractions such as Spinnaker tower and the historic dockyard all within a stones throw of the hotel. We do have a re decoration program in place in the hotel and we are aware that certain areas of the hotel are in need of re decoration, the public areas and bedroom corridors were all re decorated approximately 12 months ago and we have recently started this again, the first floor corridor has been completed and we will be working through the other corridors over the next few weeks and then we will be moving into the bedrooms themselves. I was pleased to read that your check in and check out experience was efficient, but was very disappointed that you felt the team did not engage & interact with you and were 'just going through the motions', the team are usually very friendly and helpful which is commented on our many reviews and guest satisfaction surveys, I am really sorry that the team did not live up to your expectations on this occasion.
As a Holiday Inn Express hotel we offer a free continental style buffet breakfast with hot favourites which are scrambled eggs, sausages and baked beans which as you say makes a great start to the day, I am sorry that the scrambled eggs were not to your taste and I will review this with the team to try and improve this, in spite of this I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the breakfast that we offer. Once again many thanks for your review, your comments will only help us to improve the products and services that we offer.

Reviewed March 2, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights with my partner whilst we were visiting Portsmouth,great location shame I had a view of the car park and taxi rank which got a bit noisy about 2am on a friday eve, can't be helped though
Room was ok,spacious and clean,staff were helpful and polite.the only downside to it all is the free breakfast,yeh yeh I know it's free but the buffet style help yourself breakfast consists of some average sausages,leathery scrambled eggs and baked beans,cereal, toast and Danish pastries,yoghurt and fruit,ok again I know it's my choice but being a vegan my choice was limited to say the least.
A little bit pricey in comparison to premier inn etc but all in all a good stay

Room Tip: Ask for room at front of hotel for quieter night
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
RJTodd, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Portsmouth - Gunwharf Quays, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel, as you say our location is fantastic with all that Gunwharf Quays has to offer all on our doorstep and also being central for attractions in and around Portsmouth itself. It was great to read that you found the room to be clean and comfortable and you found the team to be helpful and polite, i will be sure to pass on your comments to all at the hotel. As a Holiday Inn Express hotel we offer a free continental style buffet breakfast with hot favourites which are scrambled eggs, sausages & baked beans, we do try to cater for all dietary requirements and should you have mentioned this to us we would have been more than happy to provide a wider choice for yourself during your stay. Prices for the hotel do vary and there are a number of options available when booking, we also run special promotions from time to time which are something to keep an eye out for. Once again many thanks for the review and I trust we will see you again the next time you are visiting the area.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

We were given tickets to visit the Motor Museum at Beauileu so decided to stay the night at the Holiday Inn, Gunwharf...Really friendly staff who made us welcome..Room very good, clean, comfortable for a 1 night stay..Even checking out, all staff had time for a chat, and made us want to return. Excellent location for all the bars/clubs/restaurants and, as far as my wife was concerned, the Outlet Shops...Breakfast was enough for us, but maybe could have more hot selections, but nowhere near enough to complain, just an observation. I suppose that it is a bit on the expensive side, due to its location...If it was slightly cheaper, then it would be a bonus, but again, wouldn't put us off stopping there again..Overall very good, and would recommend to anyone else who wants to visit the area

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
RJTodd, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Portsmouth - Gunwharf Quays, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent stay, it was fantastic to read that you had a really enjoyable stay and found the hotel clean and comfortable. Your comments regarding the team are great to hear and I will be sure to pass them on to all, as comments such as yours really do mean a lot to us all. As you say we have a great location situated within a stones throw of the retail outlets, bars and restaurants that Gunwharf has to offer and also in very close proximity to other attractions in and around Portsmouth itself. As a Holiday Inn Express hotel we offer a free continental style buffet breakfast with hot favourites which are scrambled eggs, sausages and baked beans, which makes a great start to the day and I was pleased to read that you found this enjoyable, our sister brand Holiday Inn hotels offer a full English breakfast which obviously consists of more items of hot food. Once again many thanks for the review and we look forward to seeing you again the next time you are visiting the area.

Reviewed February 24, 2013

Excellent option for a short visit to Portsmouth. I spent a couple of days and I found an extremely useful and kind supporting staff. I´d like to underline the support provided by Alejandro at the front desk.
Very well placed, just besides the main shopping and leisure area and near the seaside.
Excellent option to visit Portsmouth!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
RJTodd, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Portsmouth - Gunwharf Quays, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel, I was really pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us and found the team to be helpful and supportive, I will be sure to pass on your kind comments as they mean such a lot to us.
Once again many thanks for the review and I trust we will see you again the next time you are visiting Portsmouth.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

Arrived for early check in at noon as previously advised by e-mail only to be greeted with a possible charge of £10 per hour for checking in 2 hours early - a charge not mentioned in previous acknowledgement. Felt brow beaten into joining PriorityClub to avoid charge. Also advised that a pre-charge of £30 per day would be added to my credit card in case I ordered from the bar - made me feel like a criminal about to do a runner without paying bill. As other comments breakfast was not up to standard of similar priced hotels - scrambled eggs like leather, cold wrinkled sausages and lack of beans - no fried eggs or bacon. Room was reasonably comfortable but noise of continuous extraction fan meant disturbed night's sleep. Overall better value could be had locally but you pay for the position on the Quay and the convenience of the local attractions.

Room Tip: Ask for room overlooking square
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank postpat1234
RJTodd, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Portsmouth - Gunwharf Quays, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent stay, your comments really are appreciated.
Our standard check in time for all guests is 2pm, our valued Priority club members do receive the benefit of early check in free of charge otherwise there is a charge for this service, as a Priority club member there are also a large number of other benefits available to you which include points for your stays in all Intercontinental Hotel Group properties worldwide which can be exchanged for free night stays, late check out, early check in, free newspaper & free room upgrades in selected properties, there are also some great benefits in our particular hotel which include discounts in the hotel bar and discounts in selected restaurants and bars on Gunwharf Quays, it is completely free to join Priority club & the Front Desk team inform all of our guests of these benefits at check in where you can decide yourself whether or not you wish to join. As a company we do pre authorise either a credit or debit card for all our guests upon check in, this is explained to all our guests at check in and there is also a notice at Reception to explain this procedure, this is standard practice within hotels and is a security measure to safe gaurd the hotel and its guests.
As a Holiday Inn Express Hotel we offer a free continental style buffet breakfast with hot favourites which are scrambled eggs, sausages and baked beans to all our guests, I am really sorry that these were not to your taste and assure you that all our products are purchased from reputable suppliers and are of a good quality, our sister brand Holiday Inn Hotels offer a full English breakfast which will obviously consist of more hot items of food. With regard to the comfort cooling in the bedroom I am sorry this disturbed your nights sleep and I will ensure my maintenance team rectify any problems there are with it. Once again many thanks for the review.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

Nice and clean hotel, staff were nice.

The breakfast was absolutely dier! No bacon, sausages were the worst I have tasted, scrambled eggs were like the leather of my shoe. So basically awful!

Good location and free parking.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
RJTodd, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Portsmouth - Gunwharf Quays, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to review the hotel, I was really pleased to read that you found the hotel to be nice and clean during your stay and I will be sure to pass your kind comments on regarding the team.
As a Holiday Inn Express hotel we offer a free continental style buffet breakfast with hot favourites which are scrambled eggs, sausages and baked beans, which is consistent throughout all Holiday Inn Express hotels in the UK. I am really sorry that the sausages and scrambled eggs were not to your taste, I trust you enjoyed the wide selection of continental items that we offer.
As you say our location is fantastic situated on Gunwharf Quays with all it has to offer all on our doorstep and discounted parking in the main Gunwharf Quays car park whilst staying in the hotel which ensures we are great value for money. Once again many thanks for the review.