“Convenient location, breakfast bar far better than expected.”

Holiday Inn Express Portsmouth - Gunwharf Quays
Ranked #19 of 39 Hotels in Portsmouth
Reviewed November 26, 2012

Holiday Inn Express do exactly what it says on the tin, and far better than travel lodge. This hotel is in a perfect location with lots going on in Gunwharf, plenty of shopping, bars and restaurants. Parking was great too, you get the ticket stamped so no hefty charges. Rooms were simple, clean and are functional, for the price £82 for two with the breakfast bar it was excellent value. Would definitely stay here again, and recommend to friends.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
RJTodd, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Portsmouth - Gunwharf Quays, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel, we really appreciate it. As you have said we have a great location situated on Gunwharf Quays with shops, restaurants, bars and attractions all around us, parking for the hotel is in the award winning underground Gunwharf Quays car park, whilst a guest in the hotel it is free for the first 24 hours or exit and is only £2 per exit or per 24 hours thereafter.
It was great to read that you found all aspects of your stay to be enjoyable and that you really enjoyed your free breakfast, once again many thanks for the review we look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in the area.

Reviewed November 26, 2012

Great location for shopping at Gunwharf Quays with 24 hours free parking at the centre. Very helpfull reception and a good breakfast.

Drunks in the corrider a bit noisy on a Saturday night, but to be expected from a budget city centre hotel...

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
RJTodd, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Portsmouth - Gunwharf Quays, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2012

Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us, as you say the hotels location is fabulous, situated on the Gunwharf Quays complex with over 95 retail outlet stores, over 25 well known restaurants & bars and attractions such as Spinnaker tower, the historic dockyard & Charles Dickens birthplace all very close by. I was delighted to read that you found the team to be very helpful during your stay, I will be sure to pass on your kind comments, it was also great to read that you enjoyed our free breakfast which we have been working hard to improve.
I am sorry that you were disturbed by other guests in the hotel and please be assured that this is not the 'norm', we do try our best to ensure all guests keep noise levels to a minimum and bedroom corridors are regularly patrolled by the team to achieve this.
Once again many thanks for taking the time to review the hotel and we look forward to seeing you on your next shopping trip to Gunwharf.

Reviewed November 25, 2012

This hotel hotel is right next to the Gunwharf Quays outlet village which has excellent shops and restaurants.
The hotel is 10 min walk from Portsmouth Harbour railway station, and parking is at the public Gunwharf Quays car park at a subsidised cost. Please note, if driving either get there early or after the shops shut, else you will be queuing for ages just to get anywhere near, let alone finding an empty parking space.
The hotel is clean and comfortable and the staff are extremely friendly, but there is a slight bit of noise from outside if your room just happens to be overlooking the shops but nothing upsetting.
The bar is well stocked and not too expensive (as hotels go) and the breakfast choice seemed good as we walked passed it (didn't eat at the hotel so can't comment on food quality).
Overall the hotel is great and a fantastic location and I will be staying again.
PLEASE NOTE NO SWIMMING POOL, CAUGHT THE RATING REVIEW BY MISTAKE AND IT WON'T LET ME UNCHECK IT.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
RJTodd, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Portsmouth - Gunwharf Quays, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2012

Thank you for reviewing the hotel following your recent stay with us, as you say we are in a great location situated on Gunwharf Quays itself, with all the shops, restaurants and bars all just outside the hotels doors. All guests in the hotel receive discounted parking in the award winning underground Gunwharf Quays car park, whilst staying in the hotel it is free for the first 24 hours or exit and is only £2 per exit or per 24 hours thereafter, Gunwharf Quays is a very busy complex and the car park can be very busy so it is advisable to try and arrive early if you are planning to spend the day around the complex.
It was great to read that you had an enjoyable stay and found the hotel clean and comfortable and I was delighted to read that you found the team to be extremely friendly, as with all reviews I will be sure to pass on your kind comments, they will be so happy to read them.
As I have said the complex is very busy both day and night, there are a number of late night bars and a 24 hour casino therefore there will always be an element of noise, we work closely with the Gunwharf Quays management & security staff and have triple glazed windows in all the rooms to keep the noise levels to a minimum, I was pleased to read that the noise levels did not disturb you or affect your nights sleep.
We have a good selection of drinks available in the hotel bar and we feel that they are good value for money, there is also a discount available in the hotel bar for Priority club members, so if you are not already a member it is a good idea to join, Priority club is Intercontinental hotels loyalty scheme and there are considerable benefits to being a member.
As a Holiday Inn Express hotel, breakfast is available for all our guests free of charge, we offer a continental style buffet breakfast with hot favourites which are sausages, scrambled eggs & baked beans.
Once again many thanks for taking the time to review the hotel and we will see you again the next time you are visiting the area.

Reviewed November 23, 2012

Myself and my partner stayed on Saturday 10th November for one night. The staff are very friendly and were very polite during both check in and check out.

The room was very clean and quite spacious.

A very nice hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Gareth M

Thank you for your review of the hotel, it is always great to hear from our guests following their stay with us. I was delighted to read that you had a really enjoyable stay with us and found the hotel room to be clean and spacious, it was very pleasing to read that you found the team to be very friendly and polite during your stay, I will be sure to pass your comments on to them.
We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Portsmouth and once again many thanks for taking the time out of your day to review the hotel.

Reviewed November 23, 2012

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank rex c

Reviewed November 19, 2012

This was my third stay at Gunwharf Keys and I can't think of anything bad to say about it. If you have come to shop it is ideal as you can return with shopping as often as you need to, the hotel is what it is, a budget hotel for one or two nights stay.The room was spotless, all the staff were plesent from the maids to the reception staff, Shun who greeted us on arrival was spot on with his service knowing I was a gold priority points customer so not asking me to fill in the uasual forms (something that has not happend in other holiday inns) and Bilkis was very helpful when I had to take breakfast away with me and also informing me of the hotels room deals that were on offer. I will be going back for my forth stay very soon.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Iris D
RJTodd, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Portsmouth - Gunwharf Quays, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2012

Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us, It was great to read that you have stayed with us on numerous occasions and have found the hotel to be great throughout all of your stays. As you say if shopping is what you like then we are the ideal hotel, situated on Gunwharf Quays which has over 95 retail outlets which are all on our doorstep.
I was delighted to read your comments regarding the team, in particular Shaun & Bilkis, as with all reviews I will ensure the team read your review as comments such as yours mean such a lot to us all. Once again many thanks for taking the time to review the hotel and we will see you again soon.

Reviewed November 19, 2012

I recently stayed at the hotel for two nights whilst on a business trip. The location is fantastic as Gunwharf Quays offers a huge choice of restaurants - all were a bit on the pricey side but we ate in Cafe Rouge (excellent), Brasserie Blanc (Excellent) and Jamie's Italian where the service was excellent and the food was mostly excellent, apart from the steak which was very fatty. The staff were very attentive and quickly offered to remove the cost of the steaks from our bill once they saw we hadn't eaten our meal. The toilets however were bl**dy awful - akin to a smelly public toilet which was a shock for such a quality restaurant.

Back to the the hotel. The staff were very friendly and helpful which was appreciated. The rooms were very clean although starting to look a bit tired. The curtain in my room was hanging off the rail at one side, there were cigarette burns in the carpet of my non-smoking room and the carpets in the hallways were stained. Having said this, these things didn't detract from my comfort. The desk space was adequate for a laptop and files and the room big enough not to feel hemmed in if you needed to work in there.

My room was number 232 which overlooked the plaza at Gunwharf Key. Pleasant view of the shopping area but loud music nearby at night which I could clearly hear from my bed. I slept well but if you are a light sleeper then it might be a noise nuisance for you. I'm not sure what time the music stopped but would hazard a guess at 1.00am at the earliest.

The only thing I disliked about the hotel was the breakfast. There is obviously no proper kitchen within the hotel as the cooked breakfast looked like it had been prepared in a microwave - the sausages were so pale I wasn't convinced they were cooked and gave them a wide berth. Even if they were cooked, they were grey and very unappetising. The scrambled egg didn't look like it had ever been an actual egg but, with a bit of pepper, it tasted quite nice even though the consistency was rubbery. The coffee was not overly pleasant and they had one of those horrid machines which claim to make bread into toast but which actually just gives the bread a suntan! I prefer my toast to have the consistency of toast e.g. I shouldn't be able to fold it but this is a personal bugbear of mine and may not bother anyone else. There are other places to go for breakfast but, as I was out to work early, I couldn't take advantage of these places. If I were staying on a weekend break rather than a work trip, I would have got up later and made my way elsewhere for breakfast.

All in all, the staff are great, the location is great and I would recommend the hotel - I'd definitely stay there again for business and would also book it if I were in Portsmouth for a leisure break.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel, we really appreciate your comments.
As you say the location of the hotel is second to none, situated on Gunwharf Quays with over 95 shops, over 25 restaurants & bars, a casino, a comedy club and attractions such as Spinnaker tower and the historic dockyard all on our doorstep.
I was delighted to read that the team were friendly and helpful during your stay, I will be sure to pass on your comments to them. We have recently started to re decorate the bedrooms and will continue to work through the hotel to ensure the rooms are clean, fresh and well maintained.
As you will know, Gunwharf Quays is a very busy complex both day and night, we do work closely with the Gunwharf Quays management & security staff to keep noise levels to a minimum, we also have triple glazed windows in all the rooms to reduce the amount of external noise in the rooms, but I do understand that there will always be an element of external noise due to our location. We do have bedrooms which do not overlook the plaza which are quieter, so when making your reservation should you be a light sleeper it would possibly be beneficial to request one of these rooms to ensure a great nights sleep.
With regard to our free breakfast, I am sorry that some of it was not to your taste, we have recently changed some of our products in an effort to improve the quality, I will be speaking to the team to ensure these items are being cooked and presented correctly to make sure the quality of our breakfast is great.
Once again many thanks for taking the time out of your day to review the hotel and we look forward to seeing you the next time you are visiting the area.