“Good location, tiny rooms, very expensive for what you get.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Express Portsmouth - Gunwharf Quays

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Holiday Inn Express Portsmouth - Gunwharf Quays
Ranked #19 of 38 Hotels in Portsmouth
New York City, New York
“Good location, tiny rooms, very expensive for what you get.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2012

My wife and I spent 4 nights at this holel last October and overall it was a fair experience. There were more negatives that positives. To begin: The cost was rather high but this is a business person's hotel so usually the company pays the bill. Than: I'm sure every room was made for single occupancy because our room was tiny for a double and when I asked if we could upgrade at our expense I was told all there doubles were the same and unless I wanted to pay triple my current rate and go for a suite what we had was the best they had available at any price. We travel to England and Europe frequently and I understand the hotel rooms there are usually smaller than we are used to here in the USA but that room was so small my wife joked and said when one of us wanted to move the other person had to move out of the way. Than, when I made my reservation I asked about wifi service and I was told they had free wifi service in every room, not so. When we checked in and requested the code for the wife I was told it would be an additional 10 GP a day that would have been $18 a day so I decided I didn't need the internet that bad and decided not to take it. This was the only hotel out of 5 on that holiday that had a fee for the internet. The included breakfast was far less than expected from this well known chain and the worse we encountered in our 14 days. They had a race/marathon that weekend so the hotel was rather full and the small amount of food they provided went fast resulting in a long wait for fresh items. The bottom line is after the first morning we realized the food wasn't very good anyway and opted to purchase our breakfast elsewhere. Now for the good news: They are located within walking distance to the historic area which was our primary reason for visiting Portsmouth. They were also very close to a very nice shopping mall with great restaurants and fine shops. Portsmouth was a city we have wanted to visit many times during our 18 trips to England but just never got south of Bath. It was well worth the wait. A great treat for naval history buffs and going on board the HMS Victory was special. Finally regarding the hotel: The location was great the staff was good and at the end of the day I might stay there again but I will shop around for an alternate first.

Room Tip: Don't expect much and you won't be disappointed.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Jack F
RJTodd, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Portsmouth - Gunwharf Quays, responded to this review, April 24, 2012
Thank you for your recent review, your comments are appreciated.
I was disappointed to read that you found there to be more negatives than positives from your experience at the hotel, the prices that we charge are very competitive within the market, there are a number of options available when booking and at certain times we run special promotions so please keep an eye out for them on our website, with regard to the size of the room I can only apologise, all our rooms are of the same standard and the same size and we do not usually have any problems with regard to this, as a Holiday Inn Express we do not have Suites in the Hotel, therefore I do not understand what you would have been paying triple the cost of the standard double room for.
Wifi in the hotel is chargeable and the prices are available on our website, we do have a number of options available to suit all needs, all our reservation agents are aware that wifi is chargeable therefore I am a little confused as to why when you were making your booking we would tell you that it was free of charge, I apologise for the confusion.
I was disappointed to read your comments regarding our free breakfast and I apologise that it was not to your satisfaction, since your visit in October we have been working hard to improve our free express start breakfast and the service itself, breakfast now consists of croissants, pain au chocolat, toast & preserves, Kelloggs cereals, fruit juice, yoghurts, tinned fruits, fresh fruit, cheeses, tea and coffee, scrambled egg, sausages and beans which all make for a great start to the day, we have had a number of favourable comments with regard to our breakfast in recent months and we will continue to improve this service.
The location of the hotel is fantastic, situated on Gunwharf Quays with over 95 retail outlets and over 25 bars and restaurants all on the Hotels doorstep, attractions such as the historic dockyard, spinnaker tower and guildhall are all within easy walking distance of the hotel, great transport links for motorways, ferry ports and Portsmouth harbour train station aswell.
Once again many thanks for taking the time to review the hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Crawley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2012

We have stayed in many Holiday Inn's, are they spectacuar, no not really, are they clean, yes always.

Gunwharf is a bit different because of everything that is around it from the historic HMS Victory + HMS Warrior +The Mary Rose + some fantastic shopping.

Don't not stay here it is very centeral and makes up in convinience what it lacks in glamour

Would we stay here again 'yes'

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank _whyley2
RJTodd, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Portsmouth - Gunwharf Quays, responded to this review, April 23, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel, it was great to read that you know what you are getting from the Holiday Inn Express brand and that we met with your expectations on this occasion.
The Hotels location on Gunwharf Quays is second to none, we are surrounded by restaurants, bars, outlets stores and local attractions, as you say the Historic dockyard with HMS Warrior, Victory and the Mary Rose are a 5 minute walk from the Hotel, we are also very close to Spinnaker tower, with its fantastic views of Portsmouth and the local area and we are also conveniently located for the ferry ports, motorway links & Portsmouth harbour train station.
It was fantastic to read that you would stay with us again, I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future, once again many thanks for the review, your comments really are appreciated.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2012

The hotel is situated in the middle of Gunwharf Quays, surrounded by approximately 200 shops and about 50 restaurants and bars. Within a five minute walk can be found the railway station, bus station, Isle of Wight ferry terminal, and the historic dockyard with HMS Victory and the Mary Rose. The room was clean, tidy and comfortable. The only negative point was the casino opposite, where the queues in the early hours of the morning were on occasions quite boisterous and loud. Those requiring a good night sleep would be advised to ask for a room overlooking the hotels underground car park at the rear of the building.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Molesey19
RJTodd, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Portsmouth - Gunwharf Quays, responded to this review, April 20, 2012
Thank you for your review of the Hotel, your feedback is really appreciated.
As you say the location of the Hotel is excellent, with all the outlets and attractions that Gunwharf Quays has to offer and all the travel links all on the Hotels doorstep, it was fantastic to read that the room itself satisfied your requirements and met with your expectations in terms of cleanliness and comfort, I will ensure your comments are read by the team.
Gunwharf Quays is a very busy complex and the Hotel is located opposite the casino therefore there will always be an element of noise, we do work closely with Gunwharf Quays management and security and we also have triple glazed windows in all of our guest rooms which helps to keep noise levels to a minimum, I was sorry to hear that the noise levels on this occasion did disturb you, as you say, we do have guest rooms on the opposite side of the Hotel which do not face the Quays which would be a quieter option.
Once again many thanks for taking the time to review the Hotel and I trust we will see you again should you be visiting the Portsmouth area in the future.
Crawley, West Sussex, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2012

This hotel is just really like any other budget hotel. Basic room & services, generally no frills, but all you really need functionally.

What sets it apart from others are two things.
- Price – it trades very much like a full service hotel in what it charges. Even after paying £100/night advance rate, I was then invited to pay nearly £15/day for internet which - outrageous for something that should be free.
- Location – it really is excellent, adjacent to ferry ports, Portsmouth Harbour station & Gunwharf Quay. Great for exploring Southsea & Old Portsmouth. This is really why the rates are so high.

My room was directly above the Casino on a Fri/Sat night, which I thought would be a real problem with noise, but to be honest wasn’t. No issues with noise at all.

Breakfast was basic with a cooked option of beans, scrambled egg & sausage. But everything was very low quality in ingredients (especially the sausages), which meant I chose to go out for Day 2.

In summary. Its a good budget hotel. Stay here if you think location has value to pay twice the normal rate for.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
RJTodd, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Portsmouth - Gunwharf Quays, responded to this review, April 16, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review the Hotel, as you say the location of the Hotel is excellent, situated on Gunwharf Quays with all the restaurants, bars, outlet stores and attractions that the complex has to offer right on the Hotels doorstep, Portsmouth harbour station, the ferry ports to Gosport, Isle of Wight and the continent are all very close to the Hotel aswell.
We do have a number of rates available for our guests which we trust cater for all, we also run special promotions from time to time so please keep an eye out for them on our website.
Internet is chargeable in the Hotel, there are a number of different times available depending on how long guests wish to use the wifi for, we also have an internet kiosk in the Reception for guest use.
Gunwharf Quays is a very busy complex therefore there is always an element of external noise, we do have triple glazed windows in all our guest rooms and we work closely with the Gunwharf Quays security staff and management to keep noise levels to a minimum, it was great to read that you were not disturbed and had a great nights sleep with us.
Our free breakfast is very popular with our guests and is a great way to start the day, we offer a continental buffet breakfast with three hot dishes which are scrambled egg, sausage and beans, I am sorry that you found it basic and chose not to have breakfast with us on the second day of your stay, we do use reputable suppliers and quality products for our breakfast and I will pass your comments onto them.
Once again many thanks for taking the time out of your day to review the hotel.
Weybridge
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2012

This hotel has had some lukewarm reviews, so I thought it was time for some objectivity here. It's an Express so you expect less quality, less comfort and poorer service. We found the service to be good (not OTT in terms of friendliness, but pretty welcoming), the room to be comfortable and clean, and the location to be excellent for Gunwharf.

If your expectation is Holiday Inn and all that this usually affords, you may be disappointed. Car Parking after 24 hours sounds pricey (although we took the train), but otherwise this was a worthwhile spend. Book early online and you should get a discount on the daily tariff. Finally, you get discounts from the hotel for Spinnaker Tower and local restaurants and bars. All good.

Room Tip: We did not try and negotiate any special rooms, but higher would be better than Level 2 that we were...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
RJTodd, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Portsmouth - Gunwharf Quays, responded to this review, April 12, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review the Hotel. It was fantastic to read that we exceeded your expectations, I was extremely pleased to read that the welcome you received was not over the top, but was a friendly welcome from the team, I will ensure my colleagues read your comments.
We do have a great location on Gunwharf Quays with all the restaurants, bars, shops and attractions all within an easy walk of the Hotel, guests receive discounts in many of the bars and restaurants whilst staying in the Hotel, we also offer Spinnaker Tower tickets at discounted rates and car parking is free for the first exit or 24 hours and is charged at only £2 per exit or per 24 hours thereafter.
There are many different rates available for the Hotel, which I trust caters for all and we also run special promotions from time to time, so please either contact the Hotel direct or visit our website for your future visits.
once again, many thanks for the review and for leaving a room tip which I am sure future visitors will find useful.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2012

This was our second trip to Portsmouth within a month, on this occasion it was just me and the wife. The staff were friendly, although one guy on reception we found to be a little bit too over familiar, which in my opinion lacks professionalism. The room in which we stayed was not dirty and had been cleaned well, but had a rather soiled looking sofa and the carpet was vile, stains and iron burn marks, it could also have done with a bit of painting here and there, we were woken up early hours in the morning by people departing the clubs and bars, and in fact it was very noisy, we only got back to sleep by putting ear buds in our ears. The breakfast was basic and very busy, not really somewhere you want to be when you wake up first thing, we just had cereal, we couldn't wait to get out of there it was too hectic, and explore Gunwharf itself which has plenty of shops, bars and restaurants. To be honest this hotel is expensive and falls way short of what it should be delivering for the prices that it charges, on our last visit to Portsmouth we stayed at the Travel Lodge in a part of Portsmouth called Hilsea, and we found the Travel Lodge to be far better and a fraction of the price, the staff were professional, we found the rooms were of a higher standard and the parking was far more convenient and we had a better nights sleep there as well. So our advice would be to stay out side Gunwharf at different hotel which offers better value. This hotel lacks class.

Room Tip: Look around for a better value Hotel outside of Gunwharf, there are plenty to choose from.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank mike c
RJTodd, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Portsmouth - Gunwharf Quays, responded to this review, April 10, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review the Hotel, your comments are really appreciated.
I was disappointed to read that the Hotel did not exceed your expectations on this occasion, the team here at the Hotel are very professional and we do encourage their personalities to shine through to ensure that our guests feel at ease and welcome, I apologise that you felt that we were a little too familiar on this occasion.
We have recently finished re decorating the lobby, reception, great room and bedroom corridors which now look fantastic and we will now be moving onto other areas of the Hotel, the guest bedrooms all have tripled glazed windows and we work closely with Gunwharf Quays management and security to keep the noise levels to a minimum, Gunwharf Quays is a very busy complex with many bars and restaurants which are all in walking distance of the Hotel therefore there will always be an element of noise, I apologise that on this occasion it has disturbed your sleep.
The Hotel is very busy and therefore breakfast will naturally also be busy, we offer a wide selection at breakfast which includes croissants, pain au chocolat, fresh fruits, tinned fruits, yoghurts, cereals, cheeses, toast and preserves, rolls, baked beans, scrambled eggs and sausages, it was disappointing to read that you found our free breakfast to be basic and the great room to be too hectic for you, depending on the time breakfast is taken will depend on how busy it is, therefore perhaps taking breakfast at another time would have suited you better.
I am sorry that you did not feel that the Hotel was good value for money on this occasion and we appreciate your feedback which will only help us to continue to improve the services that we offer, once again many thanks for taking the time to review the Hotel.

Travelers are raving about these Portsmouth hotels

Swansea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2012

We were down in the area and were looking for a place to stay. Gunwarf Quay has free internet access, so we looked on Trip Advisor app to see the most convenient place to stay. It came up with the Holiday Inn Express Gunwharf Quay.

The Hotel was an odd layout in that you have to go up 1 floor in the lift to get to reception. We were met be a very friendly lady. On the wall it said the tariff was £150.00 for the night. That was more than we were prepared to pay. The receptionist checked and there was only a twin room for £120.00, that was still expensive, so she asked the man who was also in reception what the cheapest rate would be, he said £99 including breakfast. We were hoping for something cheaper, but decided to take it. The receptionist quickly checked us in, we paid and she gave us our key card.

Our room was on the 2nd floor. It was easy to find, but qute a long coridor. The room was very light and and clean and not a bad size. Tea and coffee facilities and there was a hairdryer. There was plenty of space to hang your clothes. The bathroom was clean and quite a tidy size. Our only gripe is you have to pay for wi-fi, why??? When there is free wifi outside in the quay.

What was also very good is the main car park underneath the quay is quite expensive, but if you stay in the Holiday Inn, parking is free for the lenght of time you stay here. You just have to watch you dont stay in the parking reserved for the Casino.

There are so many restaurants and a few bars. The hard part is choosing which restaurant to go to.

After our meal we went back to our room and watched some telly. Our room was opposite the Casino and thought we may be woken during the night by noisy people coming from there or the pubs, but we didnt hear a thing. It was quite a cold night so we kept the window shut, but it did get hot. We slept very well as the beds were comfortable.

Breakfast in the morning was good. The breakfast area is quite large and there is quite a lot of choice of toast,cooked breakfast, fruit, cereals, yoghurts, The coffee from the machine wasnt very nice, but you can have fruit juices, or milk.

We would stay here again and would recommend it to anyone in the area. Gunwharf Quay is very nice, close to The Spinnaker Tower and HMS| Victory and Warrior.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Carol R
RJTodd, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Portsmouth - Gunwharf Quays, responded to this review, April 6, 2012
Thank you for taking the time out of your day to review the Hotel, it was fantastic to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us, I will ensure, as with all reviews, that the team read your feedback as your comments will be much appreciated.
The Hotels rates are very competitive in the area and we do, as you say have a great location on Gunwharf Quays with all the bars, restaurants, shops and attractions all on your doorstep, the prices do vary and we do have a number of options available when booking, we also run special promotions from time to time so please keep an eye out for them on our website. All guests in the Hotel receive a free breakfast and car parking is significantly discounted, free of charge for either 24 hours or your first exit and then charged at £2 per exit or per 24 hours thereafter.
I was very pleased to read that the room satisfied your requirements and was clean and presentable for you, all rooms have triple glazed windows to keep the noise levels to a minimum to ensure Hotel guests can get a great nights sleep when staying with us, the WiFi in the hotel is chargeable, but we do have a number of options available depending on how long you wish to use it for, we also have a computer kiosk available for guest use in the Reception area of the Hotel.
Again, it was great to read that you enjoyed our free breakfast, we do have a wide selection available at breakfast to cater for all guests, I apologise the coffee was not to your taste and will check to ensure the machines are set correctly.
We all look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel the next time you are visiting the area and once again many thanks for taking the time to review the Hotel.