New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Holiday Inn Express Portsmouth - Gunwharf Quays

Holiday Inn Express Portsmouth - Gunwharf Quays
Ranked #19 of 38 Hotels in Portsmouth
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Clean and efficient, but expensive”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

I know this hotel is in a very good location, but it is far too expensive. It is still a standard Holiday Inn Express!

That said, it was very clean, the rooms were comfy and the breakfast was good.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank JamesShelley
RJTodd, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Portsmouth - Gunwharf Quays, responded to this review, April 2, 2012
Many thanks for taking the time to review the Hotel, your feedback is much appreciated.
The Hotel, as you say, does have a great location situated on Gunwharf Quays, with all its attractions on the Hotels doorstep, with regard to Hotel rates, we do offer a number of options when booking and we also offer special promotions at certain times of the year, which can be found either on our website or you can telephone the Hotel direct.
It was fantastic to read that the Hotel was clean and comfortable during your visit as we pride ourselves on the appearance of the Hotel, it was also great to read that you enjoyed our complimentary breakfast and I will ensure your comments are read by the team who will be pleased that you had an enjoyable stay with us. I look forward to welcoming you back soon and once again thank you for your review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Oxon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

Gunwharf Quays is a nice place to visit, with waterside restaurants, bars and shops. You need to park in the main car park and only pay £2 when you go over the 24 hour stay at the hotel. The room was fine if in need of a bit of care on the paintwork and the sofa was falling to bits but useable! The room was at the 'back' of the hotel (ie not looking over the area with the bars/canal) which we had asked for as it would be quieter. The air conditioning was good. The bathroom was adequate and clean and the room ok, the only problem being the mattress which was terrible, very uncomfortable, we were pleased to be only staying one night! We did mention the problem when we checked-out and it was noted down. The breakfast was very good, Kelloggs cereals, fresh warm rolls, good selection of teas. We did not try the bacon or eggs. The staff at the hotel that we encountered were all friendly and welcoming which really helped to make it a pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel are quieter.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank On_Travels
RJTodd, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Portsmouth - Gunwharf Quays, responded to this review, March 28, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your review, your comments are greatly appreciated and we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Gunwharf Quays is a great place to visit with local attractions, restaurants, bars and shops all on the complex and within walking distance of the Hotel, car parking is free of charge for the first 24 hours or exit and then charged at £2 per 24 hours or per exit thereafter for all Hotel guests which is a great deal for city centre parking.
I apologise that the room was not to the standard you were expecting and I will ensure that my maintenance team read your comments in order for us to rectify the problems you have mentioned.
It was fantastic to read that you enjoyed the complimentary breakfast that we offer to all our guests as we have been working hard to improve the breakfast that we offer and it was also great to read that the team were friendly and welcoming during your visit, as with all reviews I will ensure your comments are read by the team as they mean such a lot to us all.
Thank you for leaving a room tip which I am sure future visitors will find useful, once again thank you for your review and I trust you will visit us again the next time you are in Portsmouth.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

Spent two nights at this hotel in February, Gunwharf Quays is a lovely place to visit, numerous bars and restaurants, Cinema and a harbour boat trip which we rather enjoyed. But the hotel itself is very expensive for what it offers, it's essentially a budget hotel with far from budget room rates. Carpets are shabby, breakfast is forgettable, our room had a broken reading lamp, the toilet didn't flush properly, and we thought the reception staff were a little bit lethargic in their attitude when we mentioned the problems with the room, we had the feeling they were fed up with receiving complaints, the upkeep of this hotel poor, won't be coming back.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
RJTodd, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Portsmouth - Gunwharf Quays, responded to this review, March 26, 2012
Many thanks for reviewing the Hotel on Tripadvisor, your feedback is really appreciated.
I was very disappointed to read that you were not impressed with your stay in our Hotel, as you say the Hotel has a fantastic location on Gunwharf Quays surrounded by restaurants, bars, shops and other attractions. The Hotels rates are very competitive which we feel is reflected in the service that we provide, we do have a number of options available when booking and we do run special offers from time to time, I am genuinely sorry that you did not think the Hotel represented good value for money. We are constantly upgrading the Hotel and have recently finished re decorating the Lobby, Reception and bedroom corridors and will now be moving onto other areas of the Hotel, I'm really sorry that you experienced some maintenance problems whilst in the Hotel and I trust that my colleagues rectified these problems for you, we do have a preventative maintenance program in place to reduce the maintenance problems that we have, with regard to our complimentary breakfast, again I am sorry this did not meet with your satisfaction, we are always striving to improve our breakfast offering and service, we offer a variety of continental breakfast items and three hot items which are scrambled egg, beans and sausages.
I apologise that you felt the Reception staff were a bit lethargic when you spoke with them, I assure you that we do not receive a high volume of complaints as you can read from a lot of our previous reviews on Tripadvisor, I will ensure, as with all reviews, that the team read your comments so that we can improve our service in the future.
Once again thank you for your comments.

Travelers are raving about these Portsmouth hotels

Windsor, Berkshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

The best location you could ask for really. You park in the main Gunwharf car park, go up the escalator and you can see the hotel straight away. Parking is free if you're staying at the hotel so be sure to give your parking card to reception so they can mark it as paid. You get 24 hours free.

The hotel room itself was very basic, small double bed and it moved all over the place. Not what you'd expect for £100 a night. You're paying for the location only.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ScottParky
Thank you for taking the time out of your day to review the Hotel, as you say the location of the Hotel is great situated on Gunwharf Quays complex with restaurants, bars, shops and attractions all on the Hotels doorstep. All guests of the Hotel receive discounted car parking, free for the first 24 hours or exit and £2 per 24 hours or per exit thereafter, very good value for city centre parking.
I was disappointed to read that you felt the room itself was basic, as the rooms are equipped with 26" flat screen TV's with freeview, tea and coffee making facilities, air conditioning, en-suite bathroom with shower and storage area for clothing and bags, I apologise that you felt the beds were small and that the bed in your room moved around, the beds are a standard double bed size and I will ensure my maintenance manager secures the bed so future guests do not experience this problem.
The Hotels rates do vary and there are various offers available when booking, we also run special promotions form time to time on our website so please keep an eye out for them the next time you are visiting the area, once again many thanks for the review.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2012

This hotel is in a great location in Gunwharf Quays...... Apart from this absolutely nothing else going for this place. Rooms are small and less than adequate and as for breakfast..... Not worth getting up for. Definately not worth the money, better off at a Travelodge.

• Stayed March 2012
2 Thank Kellyrowland
RJTodd, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Portsmouth - Gunwharf Quays, responded to this review, March 12, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review the Hotel, the location of the Hotel, as you say, is fantastic, situated on Gunwharf Quays complex which has over 25 restaurants and bars and over 95 retail outlet stores which are all within a couple of minutes walk of the Hotel.
I was disappointed to read that you found the rooms to be small and less than adequate as the rooms are equipped with everything required for a pleasant stay including 26" flat screen TV's with freeview, radio and pay per view movies, en suite bathroom, air conditioning, tea and coffee making facilities and storage area for clothes etc.
Our complimentary continental breakfast with hot favourites include, fruit juice, tea and coffee, cereals, toast and preserves, pastries, yoghurts, fresh fruit, cheese, scrambled egg, sausage and beans which provides a great start to the day, I apologise that you did not feel this was worth getting up for.
We do have a number of options with regard to Hotel rates which are available on our website or via telephone direct to the Hotel to cater for all of our guests, we do also run special promotions at certain times so please keep an eye out for them.
Once again many thanks for taking the time to review the Hotel.
Buckinghamshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2012

Hotel was right in the middle of Gunwharf Quay shopping which was why I stayed here for the second time. Check-in staff (Steve Pratt, I think) was excellent. Friendly and sincere, without being too forward. Nothing was too much hassle - went through everything from parking, breakfast, etc. Even offered advice on whether I should drive/take a taxi based on area I was visiting, in terms of safety. Good example of great customer service. Unfortunately, he was on his own!

Room was okay. I had a view of the canal which was nice. I had a double bed with a sofa bed but I dare not sit on the sofa bed as it had white marks all over its cover (which I hope wasn't bodily fluids!). The corridor on the 2nd floor had stained carpets and had a stale unpleasant smell as you walk along to your room. Let's just say the place needs a deep clean!

As for breakfast, it was free apparently but as the room cost £94, it should be. I paid less for a nicer room and an infinitely better buffet breakfast at a 4* hotel. Quality of food was very poor! Everything were obviously the cheapest they can get - from teabags to the now infamous scrambled eggs. But that's not the worst. It was the breakfast staff that topped it all!

Breakfast was served til 0930 so when I came in to the restaurant at 0910 it was still in full swing. But not for long, thanks to the middle-aged oriental lady who obviously did not enjoy serving customers. A gentleman next to me asked if more food were forthcoming as I was almost scraping the last of the scrambled eggs. She said "yes there should be more" but then checked the dish and said "but there's still some more there!". She obviously meant if you scraped harder you will get two more portions!

I then sat down and ate but as I wanted another cup of tea I got up and left the table with my key card in plain view, alongside 2 croissants, a bowl of fruit and a glass of orange juice. When I returned, not only had this lady placed my food on a tray - they were placed alongside another table's dirty dishes! I told her I wasn't finished and she did apologise but then left the entire tray in situ on my table! I asked her to please take it away and was told she will pick it up later. I insisted that she did however as I didn't particularly wanted to stare at a trayful of dirty dishes - especially as they're not mine!

As it was now 0930, she then proceeded to clear the food from the buffet as promptly and as noisily as she can. There was banging and clanging all around the guests, and trolleys were going back and forth which in a small area was very off-putting. She obviously wanted everyone to be out of the restaurant at exactly 0930! If only she could put the chairs on top of the tables, she probably would have! The only thing that was good was that all the other guests got talking and laughing about it. The hotel management must be aware as everything is happening right next to Reception/Duty Manager's office.

I know it's only an Express but great Customer Service doesn't cost money - as demonstrated by the Reception Staff who served me.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 2nd floor are quieter
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
RJTodd, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Portsmouth - Gunwharf Quays, responded to this review, March 11, 2012
Thank you for taking the time out of your day to review the Hotel, I was delighted to read your comments regarding your check in with the Duty Manager Shaun Pratt, as with all reviews I will ensure your comments are passed on as they mean such a lot to us.
The Hotel does boast a fantastic location on the Gunwharf Quays leisure complex with all of its restaurants, bars, shops and attractions all on the Hotels doorstep.
I was pleased to read that the room satisfied your requirements, the Hotel has recently all been professionally cleaned, in terms of carpets and upholstery and the sofa bed covers are cleaned on a daily basis, I will ensure that my housekeeping team are aware of your comments and will take necessary steps to rectify the problem with the sofa bed, please accept my apologies with regard to this.
We have recently been re decorating certain areas of the Hotel, which includes the bedroom corridors which is now complete and looks fantastic, this may have been the smell that you are referring to, again please accept my apologies and this will be rectified forthwith.
I was very disappointed to read that our complimentary breakfast did not meet your expectations on this occasion, the products that are used for breakfast are all from reputable suppliers and are branded well known products, the teabags used in the Hotel are Typhoo for regular tea and Twinings for fruit teas/Speciality teas. With regard to the service during breakfast I apologise profusely, as you say manners, politeness and good customer service cost nothing, we are working to improve our customer service at the moment and rest assured this will be addressed as I completely agree that this is not acceptable and I thank you for bringing this to my attention.
Once again many thanks for taking the time to review the Hotel and for leaving a helpful room tip which I am sure other visitors to the site will find useful.
Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

Stayed on a Saturday evening. Asked for a quiet room and was given one at the back of the hotel. Didn't hear a sound. The room was clean, comfortable and had everything I needed. Breakfast next day was plentiful - fresh fruit, hot dishes, breads, patisserie. Hairdryer in 323 didn't work but a quick call to reception had one delivered quickly by a member of staff. Bit on the pricey side at £90 for one night for single use.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank LoraLane
Many thanks for taking the time to review the Hotel, I was delighted to read that you had an excellent stay with us, all rooms in the Hotel are fitted with triple glazed windows to keep noise levels to a minimum to ensure a great nights sleep.
It was great that you found the room to be clean and comfortable and had all that you required during your stay and I was pleased to read that our complimentary Breakfast exceeded your expectations.
I apologise that the hair dryer in your room was not working and will ensure my maintenance manager rectifies this and I am pleased that the team responded to your request quickly with regard to getting another one for you.
We do have a number of options available with regard to the Hotels room rates, please check our website or telephone the Hotel direct for future bookings for the best rates available.
Once again thank you for your review.