“AWFUL SERVICE. WALKED OFF AFTER AN HOUR WAITING FOR THE BILL.”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of O Sole Mio 2

O Sole Mio 2
Ranked #321 of 642 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Scenic view, Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: One of several restaurants on the Boardwalk at Port Solent
Havant
“AWFUL SERVICE. WALKED OFF AFTER AN HOUR WAITING FOR THE BILL.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

Below I have reviewed this restaurant as being excellent and "just like being in Italy". The service used to be excellent and all staff very attentive especially the owner. We visited the restaurant atleast once a month for a treat and there was never a discussion on where we were going, we both just wanted to go to O sole Mio. The staff were friendly with the our two year old daughter and we even held our birthday meal for 26 here.

HOWEVER the service started to drop, one waiter in particular was never very attentive. One time we visited he sat talking to a group of young girls, on the table next to us, whilst we waited for our bill, which he had gone to get 25 minutes before!

The same waiter then served us a following time and we asked to sit outside, which was all set up ready, and he told us to find ourselves a table and he'd be out shortly. 20 minutes later we recieved a menu and because we always ordered the same we told him we were ready to order straight away. He took our order and we waited for 40 minutes for one portion of cheese garlic bread to arrive to our table. We then had to call him over to remove our plate because he kept walking past our table and not paying any attention to the fact we had finished the starter about 15 minutes ago!
Our mains then took a further 25 minutes to arrive at the table, mine was only average this time. (carbonara) and my partner who ordered the pizza mama mia had undercooked pizza.

Our mains were never removed from the table once we had asked for the bill, but left sitting with us for 45 minutes. My partner went into the restaurant on several occaions to ask for the bill, but the waiter was no where to be found and on one occasion my partner asked the chef to fine him. Finally we were given the bill but 15 minutes later we had still not seen him again and we wanted to pay with card. My partner walked in to the retaurant one more time and no one was there again, so we left the restaurant without paying the bill!

It's very unfortunate that the standards dropped from excellent to terrible in only a year. The owner had a very good buisness but when he was not there (pressuming a deserved day off or at the other restaurant in cowplain) the staff let this place down massively.. for this the restaurant has lost our frequent buisness as we have not returned since.

I know I am reviewing quite a while after my visit, but i thought I best update my previous review so people have an up to date account of the restaurants they wish to visit.

• Visited August 2012
3 Thank Harrowes

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Customer Service?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2012

We had booked a table for a Sunday evening when we arrived we would led to our table. There was only 3 other tables occupied. The attitude from all the staff was that they would rather be somewhere else. Considering that there were a maximum of 10 people in the restaurant and it took 15 minutes just to be asked if we would like a drink was not acceptable. We all ordered from there party menu where there was only 1 pasta choice which was vegetarian. The steak I had was so thin and looked like it had been fried. I asked for salad instead of veg and it was smothered in a balsamic vinegar and olive oil dressing I did not enjoy at all. I went to the toilet and on my way back I noticed that both waiters were watching a football match on a TV which was obviously more important than serving the customers. Overall not a good expereience and I would not recommend this reataurant. The only time that the staff were attentive was at 10pm when we the last to leave and they could not wait to give us the bill.

• Visited December 2012
Waterlooville, United Kingdom
“Not The Best Customer Experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2012

Local Italian restuarant that could improve on its customer service level. The waitress was pretty indifferent and the overall feeling was one of indifference to their paying clientel. Food was average and not the cheapest!
I always leave a tip when appropriate, but not on this occassion.

• Visited November 2012
Hampshire, United Kingdom
“Family run italian restaurant next to marina”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

We recently had a charitable event at this family-run Italian which went really well. They did a standard meal for us which was fine but not adventurous. We have eaten there previously as a family and tried their Italian a la carte and their really rather good Sunday roast (better than most). Giovanni and his family run this joint and have been generous to our charitable cause in the past. They deserve our support as an independent restaurant with a passion for our community and surviving in the midst of a whole lot of chain restaurants.

• Visited October 2012
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Visited once - will not return”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

I have noticed this restaurant busy at most times - so we went with friends and visitng friends from australia - we chose it because it isnt a chain so we expected great things
It was a real disappointment - the staff seemed to think we were a nuisance interupting them from their conversations - the food was at best average - the decor is something from the 70's and is very tired & then the bill was considerably more than we would pay at any of the chains in port solent with much less value for money
ive read the mixed reviews & clearly they have days when they are absolutely on form & deliver - sadly this wasnt one of them - we wont go back - they just didnt do enough to warrant any hope of improvement compared to their competitors

• Visited February 2012