“Brilliant Service And Food But Very Poor Bedrooms”

Holiday Inn Portsmouth
Ranked #22 of 39 Hotels in Portsmouth
Reviewed January 11, 2009

We organised a group booking for this hotel for a birthday party, and we were really pleased by the politeness of the staff and the service they provided. The food was brilliant, if a little expensive but you expect that from hotels of this type.
I could only fault one part of the hotel and that was the bedroom. You could see that their method of updating was very poor. The room sizes were very small compared to many other Holiday Inns I have stayed at, and the facilities were on the bad side.
The bathroom was dirty with Mildew all over the ceiling (see picture). Also the bathroom heated towel rail did not work, and the electrical safety earth was hanging off it despite having an electrical safety sticker on it (see image). The lighting was falling off the wall, and you could see the old wall paper behind it where it had just been painted over (see image). And finally the cleanliness of the room was pretty bad, worst of all seeing a discustingly stained desk chair (see image).

Apart from the bedroom, the hotel was pretty superb, and just needs the accomodation updated.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank Darren S
Write a ReviewReviews (1,050)

Reviewed October 12, 2008

I used to stay here with work in the early 1990s when it was a Posthouse Hotel. There was a lot of fuss about the upgrade this year to this hotel but fromn what I have seen they have done th normal during an upgrade - they have made a nice job of the public rooms but the bedrooms are still exactly how I remember them - except grubbier.
The room was small and had been re-painted but that does not make an upgrade. The bathroom was awful, dirty and small. I would not stay here again.
Breakfast was expensive and I was nor given the voucher for a discounted breakfast that was advertised although they did give it to me at that rate after I complained.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 3childfamily
Reviewed September 1, 2008

My wife, 1 yr. old son and I have stayed here twice now and have enjoyed the experience both times.
This hotel is an easy walking distance to both Portsmouth SeaSide FunFare along with all the main old Portsmouth attractions. We were greated by very friendly staff who were more than accomodating to the fact that we have an infant.
We were able to get a handicapped room which gave us some extra space for a crib.
The best part about this hotel is their breakfast and their pool area. The pool is very new and has a great jacuzzi and heated pool which was safe and fun for our young boy.
I would mostly recommend this hotel because the staff was so pleasant and because it's been newly refurbished. The outside looks a little early 1980's but inside it's all 2008.
If you are looking at staying in Portsmouth I would recommend this area and this hotel as it's close to Gun Quay shopping outlets, train station, and ferry to the Isle of Wight.

Stayed: August 2008
2  Thank angusboy02
Reviewed August 26, 2008

I stayed here for three nights and I think I have never stayed at a hotel as noisy as this. It mainly the sound of doors being shut. There was very little other noise from other rooms but at times the banging seemed endless. Usually this stopped before I went to bed but on the last night I was awakened at 2.20 by three banging noises. As I drifted off to sleep there was another to jolt me awake again.

This problem may in part have been because there were coach parties at the hotel, so a lot of people checking in at the same time and then checking in with each other. Or maybe the type of door or the structure are the problem.

This was particularly regrettable because the location is very quiet.

Cleanliness was lax. There small dirty deposits on the sideboard when I checked in and they were not cleaned up until the second day. Nor was the toilet cleaned after my use until the same day. So I guess there was a change of maid on that day.

There was no hot water when I got up the first morning. Perhaps I was in a bad mood after the cold shower but I think the reception person owed me more of an apology than "There was a problem but we've reset it". When the smart card would let me into my room again reception did not seem very concerned that I had been inconvenienced.

As so often with British hotels now you often have to pass by a crowd with cigarette in one hand and glass in the other to get into the building - a side effect of the smoking ban.

Face flannels were provided, an excellent innovation for a hotel in the UK! The room had a trouser press but not an iron and ironing board, which would cost the hotel less but meet the needs of more travelers. A shaving mirror would have improved the bathroom, which was otherwise fine.

The hotel is in a suburb of Portsmouth called Southsea. A number of community restaurants are located close by and are much more convenient than those in other parts of the city. There's also a small shopping precinct that, surprisingly, has two department stores. But hotel staff are more likely to point you in the direction of the new upmarket Gunwharf Quays shopping and dining district.

Last time I stayed in a Holiday Inn, the Holiday Inn Express, Houston TX, I was given a goodie bag on arrival, I assume in recognition of my Priority Club membership. There was nothing here to make me feel membership has any point.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled solo
2  Thank donaloge
Reviewed August 12, 2008

I stayed at this hotel for a whole week with a group of colleagues on a course. The room was nice,clean, modern, with plenty of lighting and a safe. The room looked exactly like on their website pictures. One gets soap, shampoo and shower gel but the hotel can provide one with things like toothpaste, a razor, a sewing kit, nail files if one asks at reception. My room was on the 6th floor so I had a nice view of the sea. I had Internet access in the room but it wasn't cheap though at £15 a day.
Breakfast is not good with a selection of cereals, fresh fruit, yogurt, a nice bread selection, a selection of tea and coffee, all the ingredients of the traditional cooked breakfast, plus poached eggs, haddock and kippers. The dinner and bar menu are pretty good perhaps not a lot of choice for vegetarians but on the plus side, the chef was able to cook anything to order for the vegetarian on our group. Meeting rooms are nice, they provide really nice biscuits, cereal bars, cadbury's chocolate bars, muffins, even afternoon tea. My only complain was that service was bit slow in the restuarant. One evening they kept us waiting one whole hour before being served, but they offered some free bottles of wine to compensate even without us asking for it. The first evening they served a large glass of wine instead of the small glas wine I asked for but was only charged for a small glass of wine as that was what I requested.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank Alfie1920
Reviewed August 4, 2008

I stayed at the holiday Inn for business. I had a nice room overlooking the sea. What was terrible was the dining experience. I had booked a table. I was left waiting for 20 mins to be shown to my table and then the waiter was very rude, so I went elsewhere. Breakfast time had a conveyor belt feel. Not enough staff and asking for a hot cup of coffee proved something of a challenge. Basically I would stay there but not eat.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank stonewomanLondon
Reviewed July 23, 2008

Stayed at the Holiday Inn for 2 nights. Had a great time. When arriving at we were booked in straight away, then we got to our very clean rooms, to find that we could choose what different pillows we would like, also if you forgot your toothbrush or any personal hygine things you just call reception and ask for them you can get them free, and then they are brought to your room for you. When you want to have your buffet breakfast you ask at reception and they give you vouchers for your meal and you get it for £8.50. The breakfast was nice all that you can think of for a buffet.
The walk to the beach (stoney) is about 5 mins away. The hotel has a gym, swimming pool, steam rooms, which is also very clean.
We were here for my daughters graduation, also there was a lot of other people for this, also a lot of business people, but there was also people on holiday.
The staff can not do enough for you they were great. They also remember that you are staying there and ask if you had a good day , and remember what you were going to do for that day. (makes you feel a bit special).
I will be returing in December to Christmas shopping at Gunn Warf Keys.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business