“Happy to stay here on a regular basis”

Holiday Inn Portsmouth
Ranked #20 of 39 Hotels in Portsmouth
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I have been staying in the Hotel two or three days a week for the past month and am more than happy with the accommodation. I have stayed in a variety of rooms, Twin, double and family and all are perfectly clean with good air con. Staff are pleasant and friendly and the breakfast is superb. The hotel is in a good position, just a short walk to Gunwarf Quays and even shorter to Clarence Pier and Southsea. The only thing that lets it down is the cost of WIFI. At £5 per hour to be used continuously, it would cost me £10 per day as I only use the internet 30 mins morning and evening. That cost is prohibitive, so I have to leave my laptop behind. Other than that, the hotel is absolutely fine..

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Laura R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Portsmouth, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Thank you so much for your very kind review. It is wonderful to read that you enjoy your stays, particularly as a regular guest. As a regular guest I do hope you are an IHG rewards member, and if so please note that once you become a gold member, if you are not already, wifi is free, please see the reception team and they can assist you with this. Thank you once again for your very kind review, kind regards Laura

Reviewed July 10, 2013

Fabulous breakfast and good comfortable large room. Helpful staff. Hotel very central and easy distance to huge supermarket. Its was a freezing cold day and it was nice to return to a cosy reception area and room. Nice and clean

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Laura R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Portsmouth, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Thank you so much for your very kind review. I am very pleased to read of your enjoyment of your stay. Your comments are very much appreciated and I trust you also had a wonderful overall visit to the United Kingdom. Kind regards Laura

Reviewed July 8, 2013

I hope that all Holiday Inns are not like this one, as it is falling behind the competition. The only real positive for this particular hotel is its position. I am a Priority Club member, but now that seems to count for little apart from a few points added to your balance. So far as any other advantages, that's a zero. We stayed for two nights and were allocated a tiny room with two single beds (beds as requested). The furniture had seen better days, and the view from the window was of air con units! The main criticism was the bedding. Decent beds, covered by a completely inadequate thin duvet, supported by two VERY small miserable pillows, the kind you might get allocated in a youth hostel. No additional blankets, bedding or pillows available in the room, I am sure the hotel will come back saying that we just had to ask, point is that you should not have to. Internet access at £5.00 PER HOUR is a real rip off, and that is not intermittent use either, just a straight hour.
Breakfast at a pre pay £10.50 each is vastly overpriced and not that good - hard dismal fried eggs, buffet style, no interest being taken by kitchen staff. Our local HI charges £7.50, perhaps this hotel being franchised makes a difference? The bar is a disaster area. Go in after 10.30pm and they do you a favour to serve you. There seems to be no management of the staff in this area, and you get the impression that they just can't wait to close, on one occasion closing the grills over much of the bar area presumably in an effort to dissuade anymore customers.
Leisure centre is nice, but showing it's age, which also includes a very rickety pool ladder that threatens to dislodge itself either entering or leaving the water.
Only one real plus, the staff on reception and in the restaurant (not bar!) are extremely friendly and helpful. And, oh yes, it's in a great position. Holiday Inn, in our opinion, has dropped it's standards severely, and should be aware of other chains biting at it's heels.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Laura R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Portsmouth, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to feedback, I am truly sorry you did not enjoy your stay and felt it was only average. Each of you points have been passed to the relevant teams and we will use these to continue to improve. Breakfast is normally a highly rated feature here so I am additionally disappointed to read of your displeasure and I assure you our chef has rectified this immediately. In every room there are menus of the different types of pillows you can choose from, and we do not store these or additional bedding in the room purely to ensure our guests have the maximum amount of space in the room for there own belongings, with 24 hour room service available to assist our guests with every possible extra items, like these and others such as toothbrushes or combs they may have need of, although I can see how this has frustrated you and for this I apologise. I am pleased to say however you will find as your points grow and you move to Gold status with our IHG rewards program, the internet usage is free in our Holiday Inn hotels. Kind regards Laura

Reviewed July 4, 2013

We picked this hotel due to it's proximity to the Guildhall as we were going there for a gig. Plus it was such a good price - better than the discount hotels when you factor in breakfast and parking.

We arrived early and although or room was not ready (as we expected it would not be) the friendly receptionist was happy to take our bags and told us we could leave the car in the car park. Although there is nothing unusual there you might say I feel that the professional and friendly approach of the reception staff needs noting - even the cleaner in the lobby area smiled and greeted us.

When we were able to check in we were greeted with a welcome drink in the lounge area - a nice touch. Our room on the 6th floor was pretty standard and much cleaner than the Hilton we stopped in at the airport earlier in the year.

As this is Portsmouth, gigs end relatively early to allow any Isle of Wight residents to get the last ferry home so we thought we'd have a drink in the hotel bar to round off a great night. Here's where the comment about staff above really comes into play - I found the bar staff surly to the point of rudeness. Telling me that 'at this time of night it's room charge only' does not have to be done in such terse tones.

At breakfast, again, I found the staff less than professional (very different from the reception experience - do they get the same training?). The breakfast offering of food was well up to Hilton standards and plenty for all tastes including my odd requirements!

Overall my impression of the hotel was good but just a few little staff niggles exist.

Room Tip: Go for a high room if you can - the view over the Solent is fab
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Laura R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Portsmouth, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2013

Thank you so much for your kind review of your recent stay. I was very pleased to read you enjoyed most aspects of your stay. Please accept my apologies however that the service from the bar staff was not up to the standard of the rest of the team you encountered. I assure you this will be worked upon to ensure this is rectified. I was very pleased the service everywhere else was to your liking, and that breakfast was a highlight covering all your culinary needs in the morning. Thank you for taking the time to review, kind regards Laura

Reviewed July 4, 2013

My Wife and I spent a week at The Holiday Inn, Pembroke Road, Portsmouth.
We had an Executive Room on the 5th Floor, which had wonderful views across the Solent.
The room was excellent, very clean with a comfortable bed and a choice of firm or soft pillows.
The breakfast was fantastic with a choice of cereals, fruit juice, fresh fruit, yogurt, cold meats, cheese, bread, a large selection of hot cooked items including cumberland sausage, back bacon, mushrooms, black pudding, hash browns, tomato, fried or scrambled eggs and a pancake maker !
The staff were smartly presented and very friendly.
The hotel is ideally situated within walking distance of the promenade and all the local attractions and only a few minutes walk to the Hovercraft terminal for quick access to The Isle of Wight.
As we do not drive a car it was very handy to have a bus stop just across the road.
Without a doubt we will stay here again on our next visit to Portsmouth and Southsea.

Room Tip: Request a room on a higher floor to have terrific views across the Solent.
1  Thank AlanEdwards332

Thank you so much for such a lovely and comprehensive review of your stay, I was delighted to read each of your very kind comments. I am very pleased that you had a wonderful stay, and I know my team will take great motivation from your very kind comments, as I do, thank you. I hope we will see you again soon at the Holiday Inn Portsmouth, kind regards Laura

Reviewed July 4, 2013

My Husband and I have just returned from a weeks holiday at the Holiday Inn. We paid the extra for a Executive room and it was worth every penny. The room was spotlessly clean and had everything you could possible need. We had a wonderful view over the Solent. The dining room was large and airy. The buffet breakfast had everthing you could wish for. All the staff were very helpful and friendly. We would definitely return.

Room Tip: You have a better view if you are on floor 5 or 6. There are lifts.
2  Thank WendyCaterham

Thank you so much for such a fantastic review. I was delighted to read you enjoyed every aspect of your stay with us. I truly appreciate the time you have taken to share your views as I know how valuable a commodity time is these days, thank you. I hope we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel soon. Kind regards Laura

Reviewed July 1, 2013

Stayed 1 night to catch ferry to France. Checked in early and allocated room not ready but as a Priority club member was offered another room and clearly informed it was near to a lift, I accepted and lift noise was not in fact a problem. Well positioned for ferries, Gunwharf, and Royal Docks. Free hotel parking a bonus. Did not use hotel facilities but lobby area and room were pleasant, well furnished. Room good size with all the usual amenities. Left early morning before breakfast but there was coffee on the go with croissants in the lobby - excellent touch. Would certainly stay again and recommend. Rate seems good at £60 a double ex breakfast.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your very kind review. It is great to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that it suited your needs in all ways. I am pleased you enjoyed our services, we are fortunate to be able to offer free parking, which is a rarity these days, and the breakfast bites on the go for our early risers, as we appreciate travelling on an empty stomach can be uncomfortable. I hope we will be able to welcome you back again soon. Kind regards Laura