“Lovely hotel”

Holiday Inn Portsmouth
Ranked #22 of 39 Hotels in Portsmouth
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Returned here for 3 nights recently and were not disappointed. Staff are exceptional - all very professional and friendly. Room was very comfortable and quiet, location is great for visiting Portsmouth as most attractions are within walking distance. Convenient for hovercraft over to Isle of Wight. Would definitely recommend and would not stay anywhere else when visiting Portsmouth.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Laura R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Portsmouth, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2013

Thank you so much for such a kind review. I am so pleased to read of you enjoyment of all areas of the hotel, and more specifically very pleased that you found the staff exceptional. I know your comments will bring great motivation to the team, as they do to me, and I truly appreciate you taking the time to share this feedback with us. Thank you once again, and kind regards Laura

Write a ReviewReviews (1,050)

Reviewed March 4, 2013

Although we have family in Pompey, we stopped here with friends to show them around. The hotel although looking tired from the outside is fresh and clean inside. The staff from checking in to checking out we're friendly, courteous and helpful. Its away from main roads and within easy walking distance of both Southsea beaches and Gun Wharf.
The rooms are decorated tastefully and are kept very clean, even in all of the corners.
Did I thinks it was good value for money? You bet! I would have no hesitation to use again or recommend this hotel to others

Room Tip: Book direct with Holiday inn 20 days before check in for discounted room rates?
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you so much for your very kind review. I was extremely pleased to read you enjoyed every aspect of you stay, and to say you would recommend us and gladly return is the greatest compliment we could hope for, thank you, we look forward to seeing you again soon. Kind regards Laura

Reviewed March 1, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for just one night last weekend. I booked directly with the hotel and they price matched an online deal through a different company.
At the time of booking, I was advised to upgrade to an 'executive room' as the double rooms are too small to fit a child's bed in!
When we arrived, check in was quick and efficient, our only problem being that the hotel had no car parking spaces available so we were advised to park outside the hotel in a pay and display bay.

We used the bar, pool (inc. hot tub, sauna and steam room) and restaurant facilities for both our evening meal and breakfast (breakfast was included in our room rate).

The staff were very friendly and attentive and the hotel was kept clean and tidy.

My only two criticisms would be that the executive room was very small so I dread to think how small a standard double is and the fact that the hot tub was closed on Sunday as my daughter and I wanted to enjoy the use of it prior to our 11am check out.

• Stayed: February 2013

Thank you so much for your kind review. I was very pleased to read you enjoyed your stay and that you particularly found the service of a high standard. I was also pleased to read you had the opportunity to enjoy our leisure club. I am sorry that the spa was closed early Sunday however pleased to say it is now fully functional again. Thank you once again and I hope we will have the opportunity to see you again soon. Kind regards Laura

Reviewed February 26, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for business and I had a nice room overlooking the sea.
The receptionist was friendly, efficient and helpful and staff were friendly.
The room was adequate and clean, the bathroom new but not so big.
Buffet breakfast quite good although not at "continental" level.
The walk to Gunwharf Quay is about 10 mins away.
The hotel was good value for money

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Laura R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Portsmouth, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2013

Thank you for your kind review, I am very pleased to read you enjoyed all aspects of your stay, and that you found the staff both helpful and friendly, we take great motivation from service compliments, thank you. Kind regards Laura

Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

Executive room on 6th floor and I thought I was in for a treat. Large room with views over Southsea common and the Solent, new TV, bathrobes and a free drink at the bar. Yet the heating was uncontrollable and the bathroom was the most pokey room I have ever used. I could not close the door without standing in the bath. It smelled of drains, the hot tap safety stop on the bath had failed the sink needed to be run at full speed to keep water in for a shave but the toilet was useless. It never made a clean flush as had no wash away pressure. One night was long enough in this wrongly named executive room! Avoid 629!

• Stayed: February 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to feedback on your recent visit. I was very sorry to read that the size of the specific executive room or bathroom you were in did not meet your expectations. I have also passed the other bathroom points to my engineering team to investigate and correct. I was however pleased to note from you scores that you felt all other aspects of your stay were very good, and overall you appeared to have enjoyed your stay. Thank you once again for your time, kind regards Laura

Reviewed February 21, 2013

We had a trip to Peppa Pig World with our grandson and stayed at this hotel. We were expecting average and were very pleasantly surprised with the place. The room was good, not great, but new bathroom and quality bed and a really fab breakfast.
What really made it for us was the service. Check in was friendly and efficient especially when I kept going back and asking more and more questions. Their patience was exceptional. At breakfast the food was good, but also the attentiveness of the waiting staff. At the pool/spa area the staff were also really friendly and helpful, so all in all I give it 3.5 stars , but 5 star service.
Particularly helpful - Shima on the front desk and Mark at breakfast. Went beyond normal expectations and a credit to the place.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Thank you so much for your very kind review. I was very pleased to read you had a great stay, and enjoyed all aspects of your stay, with particular emphasis on service. I have shared this feedback with both Mark and Shima who have taken great delight at your thoughtful comments, thank you. I hope we see you all again soon, kind regards Laura

Reviewed February 19, 2013

No newspaper delivered to room, despite being ordered Restaurant did not have blue cheese (bacon and blue cheese salad) and coleslaw (side dish) both listed on menu. Soup arrived cool. At breakfast, porridge and scrambled eggs and salmon ordered. No asking should they be delivered together or one by one. They came together. Therefore scrambled eggs cold by the time I started them. Room small but OK.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Laura R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Portsmouth, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2013

Thank you for your feedback. I was saddened to read of your disappointment with your evening meal and the timings of breakfast order, your feedback has been shared with the kitchen team to ensure this does not recur. We have been receiving such wonderful feedback over the past months, that is was disappointing to read that you did not experience the same feeling during your stay and I offer my most sincere apologies for this. All feedback is highly valued and I thank you for taking the time to share yours. Should you choose to return in the future please do not hesitate to contact me directly so we can ensure that all aspects of your stay are to your expectations and satisfaction. kind regards Laura.