“Best breakfast in Southsea”

Shenanigans Irish Cafe
Ranked #83 of 685 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: Irish
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

If you like friendly service, good quality produce and need a decent sized breakfast this is the place for you :)
Have been to this place many times and would definitely recommend

Reviewed July 11, 2013

We went for breakfast with our 1 month old son and found the place to be very accommodating for babies and super friendly generally. I had the Irish breakfast and my partner had the Scottish one. Both were really huge! I'm not usually a huge fan of black pudding or haggis but both were actually very tasty. All the sausages are from Buckwell's across the road so great quality. We had cappuccinos which looked like they had big chocolatey meringues on top and were possibly the best cappuccinos we've had outside Italy! My brother joined us later and it wasn't till after we'd left that we realised that they had only charged us for 2 breakfasts so I hope this review makes up for that and of course the promise that we will return. To be honest with breakfasts this good we have no reason to go anywhere else.

Reviewed May 24, 2013

Always a hundred thousand welcomes to be at had at Shenanigans.
The service is fantastic, the food unpretentious, but very tasty (you REALLY gotta try the fish finger sandwich) and extremely generous portion wise for a big fella like myself!
Great choice of beers and and cheeky selection of finest single malts. For a small bar it manages to generate a very friendly and enjoyable atmosphere and I would (and indeed have) recommend it to anyone looking for a good craic.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

Having read the rave reviews we popped into this little Irish bar this morning after visiting the Farmer's market in Palmerston Rd precinct. Ordered one full Irish breakfast and one Stack breakfast. Two tasty coffees arrived nice and hot which makes a welcome change, they are not mean with the sugar sachets either.
Breakfast arrived within a reasonable time, very tasty sausages and black pudding, bacon nice and thick - not too salty. Proper baked beans and two eggs, tomato and some cubed fried potato plus some mushrooms and also toast and butter. Very tasty full breakfast and the stack was also tasty and filling but a little dry towards the end.
On the minus side, I found the bread on the stack breakfast a little too thick and there was no decaff of anything on offer. Other half said he should have been asked how he would like his eggs.
Staff were friendly but not pushy - I hate someone in my face every five minutes.
Food locally sourced which is important to us. Good value for money.
Marks out of 5?.......well I'd go for a 4.........offer decaff and sort out the doorstep bread and it would have been a 5. Would I go again? yes.

1  Thank Paris L
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Food is basic, but VERY good. The drinks are always excellent quality, the staff hugely friendly. Great little bar with food.. The front opens in the summertime too, for a very open air feel.