“Yee Haa ! ”

Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
“Yee Haa ! ”
Reviewed January 13, 2014 via mobile

Highly recommended as the service was above and beyond the usual formal dining outing!
The food was as good as the very descriptive menu and tastier than expected!
Lovely atmosphere and priced accordingly.
One of the greatest places for families, party's and couples to meet , dine and expand the waste line lol.
Roll on the summer when we plan on returning for another pleasant eating experience ! YUMMY!

2 Thank Spudgun368

Southampton, United Kingdom
“Food OK, Empty on a Saturday night.”
Reviewed December 28, 2013

I visited this restaurant for a work Christmas Party, however, it was simply lacking any Christmas Spirit. We had a democatic vote to see which Port Solent establisment was most popular, this time we proved that democracy is not the best policy! We walked in to be shown to our table, we have pre-booked a table for 17, but were shown to a table of 15 and even that was a little cramped, especially since it included a circular booth at one end where four people were expected to sit.

So, after finally sitting down and getting ready for our food, we thought, 'right, let's get into the Xmas spirit!'

It was a little difficult since the establishment had no Xmas decorations, I think there may have been a small tree at the entrance, but I vaguely remember that. We had no christmas crackers, no party hats or party poppers, it was like we had gone there for no particular reason! Very disappointing!

We managed to look past this as we eagerly awaited our food. Unfortunately, and I really hate saying this, but it was more disappointing that the lack of Christmas spirit.

We ordered drinks, which we had to chase up because they never appeared after nearly 20 minutes. As explained, it was pratically empty so the serving staff were not over stretched.

I had the mushroom starter....I can explain it in one very simple analogy. Do you remember 'Fun House' with Pat Sharp? They always had that game with a large bucket of gunge and you had to find small objects to win the game. It was a bit like that. Plenty of sauce, very few mushrooms.

For the main course I had the burger. That was very well cooked and very nice. I also enjoyed the seasoned fries. I cannot complain about the main course, it was too my taste and very filling, but around me I could see plates being past forward and back. They were returning to the kitchen as they were cold. Again, we need to appreciate that there were very few people in the restaurant. at this time.

I was very keen to try the Churros. We all know Chiquito has not been as good since they removed 'Deep Fried Ice Cream' from the menu, but I'd paid for a dessert. Churros are like a deep fried mexican doughnut. Mine were not. They had an over greasy crust, but the middle had seemed to have disappeared. The texture showed that they had been cooked some time before being served leaving them a dry hollow shell.

I don't like giving bad reviews, so I will add some positive points.

I love the decor, and a really like the drinks options.

Staff were friendly and attentive.

The food was flavourful and if served hot, would have been excellent.

Bring back Deep Fried Ice Cream.

I would still visit here again, but always on the side of caution, but I definitely wouldn't have a Christmas party here again!

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Anglokurisu
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Tired and shabby”
Reviewed December 5, 2013

We visited mid afternoon on a Saturday and although the restaurant was almost empty the floor in our area was in dire need of a sweep, with spilled food that stayed trodden underfoot throughout our visit. Service was pretty slow considering the lack of customers, but the food was quite nice, especially the sweet potato fries that came with my mango cod. The décor was tired and dull, especially compared to the vibrant folksy ambience at the Gunwharf Chiquito's, I think I'll stick to that one in future.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Fiona D
London, United Kingdom
“Disappointing...”
Reviewed November 30, 2013

I love Mexican food, however I might never go back to Chiquitos. I went there on a Sunday afternoon, it wasn't so busy, even though, we waited for 20 minutes at the bar so the waitress could find us a table. While at the bar, we ordered some drinks.
We were on our table and ordered the food (and no drinks yet). The food came after 20 minutes or so, and it was just ok, nothing I would go back for. And then, only then, we got our drinks...
There was a birthday party on a table next to ours, and the woman was yelling at the waiter because of the food... It was really bad.
Overall, service and food are poor, I will probably not go back.

• Visited October 2013
Fareham, United Kingdom
“Very enjoyable, but pick your dish carefully”
Reviewed November 26, 2013

I like Chiquito's. I have lost count of the number of times I have eaten there but I can honestly say that I have never had a bad meal yet. The reason for my cautionary note in the title of this review is that this is Mexican food you are eating and the Mexicans do like their spices. However, if you are careful when ordering you do not have to spend the next two hours with a burnt tongue. I usually choose the fajitas but do watch the filling. The beef can be tough and some of the other fillings too hot but the prawn, standard chicken and vegetarian are fine. Fajitas are a messy meal to eat so be prepared and grab every table (paper) napkin you can reach.

The desserts are particularly tasty and I really like the one with cinnamon and ice cream.

One thing I must mention is the Drinks Menu. At too many restaurants these days you are invited to choose your drink almost before your bottom has made contact with the seat. Resist! Chiquito's has a great selection of cocktails which make a very tasty long drink and are great value for money, so study the Drinks Menu before ordering your beverage.

Service is cheerful. Atmosphere is noisy, noisier than I would like, but for that quality of food and drink I can forgive a lot.

• Visited June 2013